Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Increase in size of seborrheic keratosis  (Read 4135 times)

Mintea

Increase in size of seborrheic keratosis
« on: October 23, 2020, 10:00:23 PM »

I have a seborrheic keratosis about 2 cm below my eye.  In the last few weeks it seems to have got bigger and become itchy. Could this be due to the hrt I'm taking - Evorel Conti. Has anyone else experienced this type of thing?

Shannonplussed

Re: Increase in size of seborrheic keratosis
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 02:29:56 AM »

I can’t speak to that, but any chance it’s because it’s cooled off and the furnace is now on? I’m in Canada and as soon as the furnace comes on in the fall, dry skin and eczema flares up.

Evie606

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 10:30:54 AM »

Hi Mintea,

I have SK on my back and funnily enough I’ve noticed an increase in itching and size in some of the lesions. I’m on Evorel Conti too but am away to switch back to Evorel Sequi.
My doc prescribed me a hydrocortisone cream to use if they get too itchy but as yours is on your face i’d get advice from your GP.

Evie :)

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 01:08:07 PM »

Hello Mintea.

About three months ago I noticed a mole on my upper arm that became itchy and rough to the touch. It also became larger, taller rather than wider. I saw a GP even though we were in Lockdown. She diagnosed Seborrhoeic Keratosis and said it was benign. I wasn't given any medication and was told that it would resolve on its own. Over the following weeks a scab formed  and gradually the rough skin  came away taking most of the brown skin with it.  I am now left with a raised area where the mole was with a little bit of brown colouration on one side.

I wasn't on HRT at the time and hadn't been for about a year. The GP thinks I may have knocked or scratched my arm and injured the mole at some point.

If you are concerned I would suggest seeing your GP. Initially I sent my doctor a photo but I was then asked to visit the surgery so that she could have a close look.

I hope all this helps you and wishing you well.

K.

Mintea

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 11:31:55 PM »

Thankyou all for your replies.
Interesting to hear what happened to your sk Kathleen, without any treatment. I wish mine would just fall off. It wouldn't bother me if it wasnt on my face but it's very noticeable.
I shall have to go back to the doctors with it

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 03:47:08 PM »

Hi mintea...I have just gone through 9 biopsies (already had basal and squamous skin cancer).  Boy itchy is an understatement!  Did your dermatologist  suggest Efudex?  It is topical chemo and causes horrific skin lesions but cleans up SK's and some forms of basal

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 04:51:27 PM »

...should have properly worded response..."efudex" does it's work by ONLY affecting skin that has precancerous  lesions.  It is hard to use because your skin looks like tomato  soup during the treatment but after a few months, your skin will be nice and supple.

Sparrow

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 05:04:30 PM »

If you have been diagnosed with Seborrheic Keratoses be reassured that it is almost never treated, as it is just an age related condition.

https://www.uhb.nhs.uk/Downloads/pdf/PiSeborrhoeicKeratoses.pdf

On the other hand if you have Actinic or Solar Keratoses this is always treated and you would need to be referred to a dermatologist.
I had a patch on my nose that was treated last Autumn.  The cream Efudex is the one most commonly used (I had this), and it contains a chemotherapy drug.  I found it nowhere near as unpleasant as I expected, so don't google or listen to scare stories.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/actinic-keratoses/

Mintea

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 09:46:45 PM »

Whatsupwiththis 
Sounds awful. Hope you're ok now. Mine hasnt been.diagnosed as pre cancerous so far, touch wood

Shadyglade
Thanks for the link. It is meant to be a Seborrheic keratose but I would like to get rid of it.
Mintea x