Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My cough is bad, and I can't distinguish between it being a covid cough or not?  (Read 2114 times)

loonarider

Sorry I keept posting with my health anxieties.

As some of you may know already I posted about a cough that I've had for months now, which comes and goes. It went for a while over the past few days and is back with avengeance. It's a bit more sore when I cough this time, and I'm so scared that I have covid.  :'(

Trying to be rational, but I need your help to calm me down. My partner much as he's been extremely supportive, rolled his eyes this time... :'( I wish this pandemic was over, but it won't be for a while. It's enough having to deal with peri symptoms as well, and worse when you think you're dying a lot of the time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Make a list of any symptoms that you have had for more than 7 days.

Compare with the known symptoms for C-19 - do you have a temperature across your chest and back/shoulders for example.  Is there a rash?  I believe by now that if this were a virus of any kind that it would have either worsened enough for you to seek medical assistance or have gone.

I have reflux cough  >:(.  Like I'm clearing my throat continually though fortunately not in the night!  2.5 weeks ago I had the snuffles, dry mouth and throat for 14 hours.  Crossed my mind of course but it didn't become worse and no temp..  It disappeared by 10.00 p.m. and been fine since.

Health anxiety ain't logical  >:(  ::)

Get a soothing drink for the throat and some Paracetamol.  Warm bath?

loonarider

Thanks for calming me down a bit.

My cough isn't productive. It comes on now and then during the day. I wouldn't say it vigorous, but I do notice it. I have had this cough for months, it was non-existent yesterday and the day before though, and now it's back.

I think I'm also paranoid since the kids being at school means they can easil bring the virus back with them and pass it on to me.

Oh bother. Thanks CKLD. Maybe I'll have warm cuppa with honey xxx

CLKD

Mine gets more irritating during the day.  The omeprazolol helps over night until mid-morning.  How do you feel this morning, did U sleep?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:11:47 PM by CLKD »

Js

Hi loonarider

Yes it’s all worrying times and the slightest cough sneeze or headache we are all scared it’s covid and of course the worry of your children getting it or bringing home . Your cough could be a nervous reflex as CLKD mentioned But all you can do is go by the symptom check if got temp or coughing excessive for an hour and breathing difficulties which is the later stages I believe then seek advice or test observe the guidelines that’s all we can really do. And we know the meno seems to increase the anxiety levels anyway so try and chill I know it’s difficult

Js

loonarider

Mine bets more irritating during the day.  The omeprazolol helps over night until mid-morning.  How do you feel this morning, did U sleep?

Got a solid 7 hours sleep, I'll take that! I may have to try omeprazol again. o didn't notice much difference before, but desperate now.  :D

loonarider

Hi loonarider

Yes it’s all worrying times and the slightest cough sneeze or headache we are all scared it’s covid and of course the worry of your children getting it or bringing home . Your cough could be a nervous reflex as CLKD mentioned But all you can do is go by the symptom check if got temp or coughing excessive for an hour and breathing difficulties which is the later stages I believe then seek advice or test observe the guidelines that’s all we can really do. And we know the meno seems to increase the anxiety levels anyway so try and chill I know it’s difficult

Js

Thanks JS. I always have shortness of breath and feel like I'm drowning, and I'd say the cough isn't persistent enough during the day to be worrying I guess.

The temp is fine so not worried about that. Just have to say to myself that it is what it is, try to think rationally about these symptoms and get on with the day.  :-\

Js

Hi again loonrider

Just seen your post 7 hours sleep that’s great bet you feel better for that already you say your on omerprezole what is that for I’m on that for hiatus hernia flare up

Js

CLKD

Rational?  What's that when it's up and dressed  :D.  There's no logic to anxiety!

Uptick

Loonarider, I have been coughing since the pandemic has started and of course I thought I had Covid. Dentist said it could be reflux because I also have a red patch in the middle of my tongue, called median rhomboid glossitis, although the exact cause is disputed by scientists and doctors. Gastroenterologist thinks it's not reflux but has prescribed Pantoprazole. ENT doctor thinks it's Candida infection and has prescribed Ketoconazole. Meanwhile, coughing is still there, but now I have noticed it's connected to wearing masks. Maybe high moisture levels inside the mask can be a trigger for an allergic reaction. Coincidentally (or not), I have coughed up a foul smelling glob which is called tonsil stone. I have never had this before and my tonsils are pretty small, I can hardly see them. Coughing has decreased a lot, but it starts again after I wear a mask. I definitely think it's an immune response to something related to the mask.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:06:53 PM by Uptick »

CLKD

ENT doctor should *know* if it's thrush  >:( it's something that babies are prone to .......

My irritation has begun since 2.30 ish ............

There are several places that calcium might produce stones, salivary gland is one ....... I have read about acne being made worse due to masks as well as other infections due to humidity between mask and face.

Dogs with deep lip folds can collect debris too, it's got a characteristic smell  :-X ........

Uptick

At my recent ENT appointment the consultant said I had normal tonsils as in no current issues but evidence of tonsil crypts related to tonsil stones.  Apparently very common and basically debris from food, mucus, etc build up.  Pretty gross really!!

Yes, but I thought that it could be irritating my throat and causing the coughing fits. I have really small tonsils, ENT said they're atrophic. I wonder if post nasal drip of thick mucus could make one more prone to tonsil stones. Or maybe post nasal drip itself could be irritating the throat and masks could worsen post nasal drip. So many possibilities.

CLKD

I've had allergic rhinitis since the 1970s but reflux has made the condition worse in the last 3 years. 

Uptick

ENT doctor should *know* if it's thrush  >:( it's something that babies are prone to .......

My irritation has begun since 2.30 ish ............

There are several places that calcium might produce stones, salivary gland is one ....... I have read about acne being made worse due to masks as well as other infections due to humidity between mask and face.

Dogs with deep lip folds can collect debris too, it's got a characteristic smell  :-X ........

No obvious whitish patches typical of thrush, but apparently thrush can also cause red patches. I've never had thrush before, oral or vaginal.

Yes, I've been thinking about calcium as the common denominator of my current issues. Salivary gland stones can impair saliva flux and change saliva pH which can open the door to Candida. I had a kidney stone last year, but it couldn't be seen on scan this year. I also had high calcium blood levels last year and although they were normal on last blood tests, they're in the high end of normal range. I have teeth tartar and hard whitish spots on skin that look like they have calcium salts deposits. Too many calcium issues to be just a coincidence.

Uptick

More than likely Uptick.  I think it's a combination of things and I'm sure dry mouth doesn't help either. Mine are very small too apparently.  Interesting isn't it.
I also have allergic rhinitis but, interestingly, mine is better when post nasal drip is worse and vice versa. It's like all that mucus goes back way if it's thicker and front way if it's runnier.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:59:28 PM by Uptick »
Pages: [1] 2