Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Coming off HRT suddenly  (Read 1485 times)

angelteejay

Coming off HRT suddenly
« on: October 09, 2020, 04:54:39 PM »

After 10 long months of giving HRT and jolly good go, I concluded this week that I needed to stop it. I went on it after having a panic attack out of the blue last November followed by severe anxiety but in hindsight I had anxiety anyway and although I had a few night sweats, I couldn't honestly say I had any severe menopausal symptoms prior to January. I just went to my GP who suggested I try HRT and so I agreed. I've had all sorts of problems since from prolonged bleeding to severe breast pain (so much so I have been referred to two cancer clinics) and heart palpitations brought on my the anxiety of what was going on. I had a telephone conversation with my GP on Tuesday who thought it best, considering the horrific year I've had, to come off it and see how I feel. I felt fine yesterday but today I woke up feeling strange and very tearful. This has continued all day. It doesn't help that I ran out of the mini pill on Monday and had none for two days, which has started off another bleed  :'( I have gone cold turkey - my GP thought it best seeing as I was in the progesterone-free stage of the month and on just two pumps of Oestrogel a day. I worried about this initially which set off my anxiety, worrying I would have severe withdrawal symptoms. But apart from feeling tired and having low mood I have nothing else. I am just posting to see how others coped with not suiting HRT, feeling disappointed about it, and any symptoms they may have had going cold turkey. Any advice or tips would be very nice, thank you.

Alua197

Re: Coming off HRT suddenly
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 08:37:53 PM »

I had severe peri symptoms, example was complete insomnia not sleeping a wink for days on end, severe adrenalin surges mimicking heart attacks requiring hospitalisation on a number of occasions...you get the picture.

I tried 5 different hrts and finally settled on prematin as nothing else made any difference. I stayed on it for 4 years.

My story is long. I was also put on antidepressants and benzos which nearly killed me and gave me a  brain injury. I am lucky to be alive. I have been off those meds 4 years and dont know if the symptoms i have now are menopause or protracted withdrawal from those drugs, as it can take many years to recover.

A year ago i also weaned off the hrt over a three month period by reducing my pills by cutting them. I went off because quite frankly I am now very weary of western medicines including hrt. Hrt gave me near constant anxiety and regular migraines with aura. I was also petrified of the side effects I could not see. Hrt is a drug like all others and there will be side effects coming off and I always believe it is better to wean off rather that cold turkey but we are all different and some will be fine.

My mum and all her friends were on hrt, they all stopped cold turkey and were all fine. My mum stopped cold after 7 years and no problems.

A year on with no hrt and I have survived. I have not had the severity of symptoms return. I do have insomnia in patches but still usually get a few hours sleep. I have not had to call an ambulance thinking i am having a heart attack. The depression and anxiety has reduced significantly.

I wish you well. It can be done. Listen to your instincts and stick to them. If i had listened to my insticts instead of doctors I would have saved myself years of hell.

All the best. X

angelteejay

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 08:24:47 AM »

Thanks for your reply. After a bad day yesterday I feel pretty good today! I haven't had many good days since January so this is a rarity!! I feel my anxiety has reduced already and as you say, these things must be done your way, and I am glad I came off HRT. I think I am very sensitive to hormones and at the end of the day, the menopause is a natural process for every single woman on the planet so I felt I just needed to come off it. I was always very wary of putting crap into my body that I didn't need. I hope things continue to improve for you. And for me :)

Traceyjd

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 08:16:49 AM »

Hi I just stopped on Monday, feeling ok xx