Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Coping with low mood  (Read 748 times)

Aybee

• First Flush
Coping with low mood
« on: October 09, 2020, 10:13:54 AM »

Nobody warns you do they? that this part of a womans life can change you beyond recognition. Who is this scared, depressed and confused person?
Oh by the way hi!  I'm 46 and new to some pretty dreadful feelings. I've had low level anxiety and depression that's been around maybe 10 years on and off. Then 45 happened, and I started to display a few signs of what I now appreciate to be perimenopause. I went to my Dr who gave me fluoxetine, this was dreadful (for me) and I went back to see a fantastic lady GP my own age who put me on HRT. I can say for me it's working, my low mood has overall improved a lot but I still have a few utterly desperate days through the month (this month I'm on day 4 of it)
It manifests as being completely flat so nothing can make me smile or laugh, I don't want to do anything, speak to anyone, personal care goes out of the window. I have really bad thoughts constantly.  Essentially life becomes joyless , something I endure.
How on earth do you cope at work when you become a shadow of yourself?  I've achieved nothing at work this week.
And at home,  my partner of 5 years is suddenly having to navigate a woman who seems to have an off button. I'm never nasty or snappy at all, I am just not present, locked in my own head.
Does this get better or worse as you progress?
Any thoughts at all are greatly appreciated.
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coping with low mood
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 10:25:44 AM »

Hi!  yep.  Within normal limits from where I'm sitting.  Which HRT are you on, some don't do well on the progesterone phase.  I suggest that you put the product names into the search box and see what pops up.  Make notes ;-)

The Change - does what it says on the tin.   Nope, we are not warned  ::).   :welcomemm:

Do read the threads on bladder issues and vaginal atrophy - forewarned is forearmed ;-).  Browse round.  We have a hints for husbands somewhere which is worth printing off and handing over.

Nowt is too much info or taboo!

Do you work in a group?  Tell us more ..........

Aybee

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »

Hi I'm on oestrogen for 25 days a d utrogestan tablets.
I'm sure like others I knew about the physical stuff, and had assumed this would be the main aspect of the process and have taken some measure with food, supplements and exercise to try to help with that, but for me it's not a physical process so far . It's really tame compared to what's happening to my mind. Yesterday I wanted to ask my other half to leave as our relationship was doomed, despite him being a great partner. Thankfully lip was bitten when I opted instead for a 2 hour walk. I also say things like this at work.  This self-destuct/sense of doom thing happens regularly now.
In terms of work Covid has been a blessing and a curse, although I work in a team we have autonomy for workload and we're now 100% home working. If I'd been in the office the last 7 months I would almost certainly have needed to take time off.  My boss is very understanding and knows this is happening. But my mental state being a factor in not being able to work is horrifying to me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 12:16:39 PM »

Be kind to yourself.  You have a supportive crew which really helps.

Prioritise?  Im a great List Maker  ::) by ticking off each day I can see what I actually achieve.