Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Blood pressure  (Read 903 times)

lizzog

Blood pressure
« on: October 08, 2020, 02:57:33 PM »

I'm currently hooked up to a 24 hour bp monitor which I have done every year.  I'm normally low bp with POTS - my bp drops when I stand up, and am prone to fainting.  I'm on a drug called Midrodrine x3 times a day to level out my bp.  When I spoke with the POTS clinic a month ago I was told that usually in menopause women can see their previously low bp rise.
I'm starting to get myself in a tizzy as my last two readings are according to the NHS website 'pre high bp' - as the higher number is at the lower end of between 120-140 - guaranteed to send it even higher!!!  ::)
I suspect the hospital will be taking me off Midrodrine now!
Has anyone found their previously low bp higher during menopause??

Uptick

Re: Blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 07:03:56 PM »

Hi lizzog, I don't have POTS/low BP now but I used to have it ages ago, when I was young and beautiful  ::), now my BP has skyrocketed and as far as I know it's all due to menopause and maybe less physical activity. Diet is much better, less salt, less sugar, less caffeine, no meat, no alcohol. There's definitely a link between oestrogen levels and BP. Maybe you won't need medication for low BP, can't guarantee you won't need it for high BP, though. Are you on HRT?

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 07:31:45 PM »

My BP has always been low,doesn't even reach triple figures but when it does I panic but yes,menopause can cause havoc with it

lizzog

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 08:36:29 PM »

Thanks both- yes I’m on oestrogel and Utrogestan at the moment- I’ve not had bp taken for a long time so wasn’t sure what’s going on.
Hopefully the results will come back quickly and I’ll find out whether they want to keep me on the meds!