Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Period on norethisterone  (Read 948 times)

pricey

Period on norethisterone
« on: October 06, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »

So I'm on day 13 of norethisterone 5mg 3x a day to stop bleeding. My GP said I could stay on it while waiting for a scan or ride out the withdrawal bleed. As the bleeding had almost completely resolved, and despite feeling rubbish emotionally,  I decided to carry on.  However today the bleeding has become light as opposed to spotting/ trace and I also have cramps.  In fact my tummy feels awful. Is it possible I could have a period despite taking the norestitherone?

Any advice appreciated.

X
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:36:34 PM by pricey »

Hurdity

Re: Period on norethisterone
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 07:41:20 AM »

As far as I understand it ovulation is suppressed when taking norethisterone in this way - in fact this is what women are given by docs if they want to delay a period, so the bleeding you are experiencing is not due to a proper period but some sort of withdrawal or breakthrough bleeding

Hurdity x

pricey

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »

Thanks, Hurdity.

I feel horrible.  Nervy, bloated. I dread the withdrawal bleed being horrendous like before and have read some horror stories about norethisterone. Overall though, I'd rather be off this now after 15 days. Am I right in thinking the bleed may not necessarily be heavy? Any advice?

X

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 04:17:28 PM »

Hi pricey - apologies for not replying sooner - I haven't been on the forum or if I have I missed your post.

It's difficult to say how heavy your withdrawal bleed will be because it all depends on your individual circumstances, how thick the lining was when you started and whether you have any womb issues eg fibroids or endometriosis for example? Hopefully it won't be too bad....

Hurdity x