Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: perimenopause advice  (Read 3138 times)

Alicess

Re: perimenopause advice
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 09:29:38 PM »

Hi Flossieteacake, do you mean you've been on progesterone- only pill containing Desogestrel? If so then it's possible your estrogen level became to low, especially as you' ve been on the mini- pill for quite a long time. Progesterone has anti- estrogenic properties. Progesterone and estrogen need to be balanced.
Low estrogen can also cause bleeding or spotting.

Alicess

Flossieteacake

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »

Hi Flossieteacake, do you mean you've been on progesterone- only pill containing Desogestrel? If so then it's possible your estrogen level became to low, especially as you' ve been on the mini- pill for quite a long time. Progesterone has anti- estrogenic properties. Progesterone and estrogen need to be balanced.
Low estrogen can also cause bleeding or spotting.

Alicess

Thank you for replying. Yes, I have been on the progesterone only pill for 9 years. The reason I think this is the perimenopause is because I have other symptoms. Low mood, passing water more often, memory loss, pains in hands and feet, sensivity to noise, increased sense of smell, tender and swollen breasts, pain inside and lower stomach.

Alicess

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 11:14:32 PM »

If you' ve been on progesterone- only pill for so long you can experience symptoms which resemble peri- menopause like you describe. When  progesterone is to high it will eventually lower your estrogen. Progesterone downregulates estrogen- forming enzymes and also induce estrogen- inactivating enzymes. And as we age our estrogen levels will gradually  decrease so it will make matters worse.
The symptoms you describe could be caused by progesterone dominance.

The only way you will know for sure is to either stop the mini- pill and see how you feel or you could try a birth control pill with a higher estrogen to progesterone ratio.

It's distressing how little doctors know about hormones.

Alicess
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 11:44:23 PM by Alicess »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 08:49:06 AM »

If you' ve been on progesterone- only pill for so long you can experience symptoms which resemble peri- menopause like you describe. When  progesterone is to high it will eventually lower your estrogen. Progesterone downregulates estrogen- forming enzymes and also induce estrogen- inactivating enzymes. And as we age our estrogen levels will gradually  decrease so it will make matters worse.
The symptoms you describe could be caused by progesterone dominance.

The only way you will know for sure is to either stop the mini- pill and see how you feel or you could try a birth control pill with a higher estrogen to progesterone ratio.

It's distressing how little doctors know about hormones.

Thank you for explaining this. I wish the doctor could have thought of this rather then just say I have a urine infection. You have given me a lot to think about.

Alicess

Alicess

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2020, 09:58:57 AM »

Just to be on the safe side you should do a urine infection test as low estrogen can cause UTI .

Flossieteacake

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2020, 10:09:38 AM »

Just to be on the safe side you should do a urine infection test as low estrogen can cause UTI .

Thank you. I am going to do one today.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »

Get is sent to a Lab. ;-)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2020, 10:53:44 AM »

Get is sent to a Lab. ;-)

Is that not done automatically with NHS doctor surgeries?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2020, 11:31:25 AM »

Nope.  Often they use a dipstick which won't show infection.  If they see signs of protein or blood they prescribe often un-necessary anti-biotic treatment.  This will ease VA for a short period but won't sort out the lack of oestrogen which causes VA  ::) [clear as mud?]

Flossieteacake

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2020, 11:36:35 AM »

Nope.  Often they use a dipstick which won't show infection.  If they see signs of protein or blood they prescribe often un-necessary anti-biotic treatment.  This will ease VA for a short period but won't sort out the lack of oestrogen which causes VA  ::) [clear as mud?]

Oh wow. I had no idea. How frustrating they do not send the samples to the lab.

CrispyChick

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 11:41:36 AM »

Doctors were happy for me to go on mini pill when they suggested thd pill to see if it was hormonal... Laughable really. It was me that emrealused I'd be better trying a combined pill  ::). Unfortunately didn't work for me either, but is working for a friend of mine 👍

Flossieteacake

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2020, 11:47:39 AM »

Doctors were happy for me to go on mini pill when they suggested thd pill to see if it was hormonal... Laughable really. It was me that emrealused I'd be better trying a combined pill  ::). Unfortunately didn't work for me either, but is working for a friend of mine 👍

I am sorry it did not work for you.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2020, 12:54:23 PM »

I have been doing a lot of thinking and I have decided to come off any pills. I only took them to not have periods. Maybe it will help my body coming off it. I really appreciate all the kind people who have replied to my thread.

KarineT

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2020, 03:46:11 PM »

This hot flushes thing is nonsense because I believe I've been peri since 2015/2016 and I hardly have any hot flushes.  My symptoms were heavy periods, followed by missed periods, chills, sometimes feeling a bit warm during the night and dizziness.  When I started feeling significantly dizzy in 2018   I really thought I had a neurological disorder or a heart disease and it really frightened me.  I did all the tests one can imagine but doctors never find anything wrong with me.  I never associated the dizziness with the menopause because at the time I was still having periods.  The dizziness seems to have subsided but I haven"t had a period since January this year.  Still no hot flushes and I just turned 50. Therefore If you don't gets hot flushes it doesn't mean that they are not in perimenopause.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2020, 03:57:08 PM »

This hot flushes thing is nonsense because I believe I've been peri since 2015/2016 and I hardly have any hot flushes.  My symptoms were heavy periods, followed by missed periods, chills, sometimes feeling a bit warm during the night and dizziness.  When I started feeling significantly dizzy in 2018   I really thought I had a neurological disorder or a heart disease and it really frightened me.  I did all the tests one can imagine but doctors never find anything wrong with me.  I never associated the dizziness with the menopause because at the time I was still having periods.  The dizziness seems to have subsided but I haven"t had a period since January this year.  Still no hot flushes and I just turned 50. Therefore If you don't gets hot flushes it doesn't mean that they are not in perimenopause.

Thank you for sharing this. I am really sorry you have had this experience. Joining this forum has made me aware of how clueless GP are.
Pages: 1 [2] 3