Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Sequential vs continuous combined HRT  (Read 1958 times)

Ghostgirl

Sequential vs continuous combined HRT
« on: October 04, 2020, 03:21:18 AM »

Ladies, I’m 56 and I’ve been taking Femiston 2/10 for a good number of years, it’s a sequential dosage as some of you will be aware, which means I still have monthly “periods”.  However at my age they aren’t real periods any more, or at least I don’t think they are.  I’ve read that sequential HRT prepares the womb lining for what I am positive by now is a non-existent egg, and then produces something LIKE a period when the womb lining is ...well, expelled.

So my first question is, have I got that right?  At 56 is it likely that I have any eggs left?

And my second question is, what continuous “combined”  eostrogen/progesterone (ie NOT sequential) prescription would be a good alternative to my Femiston 2/10 (which I believe for me is still the correct dosage of eostrogen and progesterone to control my hot flushes and night sweats?

Incidentally I have just tried to spend approx 6 weeks OFF my Femiston just to see if I might have gotten past those horrid flushes and sweats, but eek!... nooooo, far from it, almost worse than ever in fact!?

Thank you for any advice and comments 🙂

Dotty

Re: Sequential vs continuous combined HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »

Hi the Femoston Conti won’t give you the same amount of oestrogen as the Sequi one you are taking.

If you want to stick with tablets you could try Elleste Duet Conti, but it’s a different progesterone.

Alternatively it’s patches or gel with Utrogestan or Mirena Coil. X

shrosphirelass

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 11:15:51 AM »

I went on sequi HRT when I was 56 and I was still having regular periods. Age of menopause varies greatly and many woment do experience later meopause. As far as I know the only way to find out if you are now menopausal would be to stop HRT for many months to see if you have periods. I'm 58 now and suspect I'm menopausal but I don't know for sure.

Ghostgirl

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 12:47:25 PM »

Thank you both  :)  For a bit more background, I went on sequential HRT when I was around 45, and it was explained by my doctor back then that, although I hadn’t had a period for perhaps 6 or 8 months (and in the year or so prior to that had had a few, but not regularly and certainly not every month) it nevertheless wasn’t a full year without one.   

So basically what I’m saying is I think my periods were already “on the way out” as it were, about 10 years ago?  But then of course the sequential HRT he put me on brought them back to a regular thing, every month faithfully on the day I took my last pill in a packet.

But even so, 10 years on, and after just a few weeks of coming off my sequential... my flushes and sweats are back with a vengeance!  Lol

Oh.  However I had not had a period since coming off them.

One last thing.  For the past 18 months, when I’ve taken my last pill and started my period, all of a sudden and for the first time in my life... it hurts!   Never had period cramps in my life before, but this past while every period is pretty flipping sore for the first couple of days.  This is the main reason why I want to go to continuous combined really.

Thank you again for any further advice x

EDIT:  I should maybe also mention that my GP by his own admission isn’t very clued up on HRT at all.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 12:55:22 PM by Ghostgirl »

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 01:09:28 PM »

Try continuous and see how you go, but be prepared for breakthrough bleeding for up to 6 months x

Ghostgirl

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 01:13:08 PM »

Thanks for the warning, Dotty.  I think it might be worth a try tho, I’ll maybe give my doc a call tomorrow. 

Night shift tonight, and that’s another thing, flushes and sweats are a nightmare anytime but when you work shifts..?  Eek lol

Ghostgirl

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 01:33:07 PM »

So can anyone tell me what would be the closest dosage to my Femiston 2/10 that’s likely to be available in a conti pill?

Thanks x

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 04:55:39 PM »

There isn’t another hrt tablet which has the same progesterone as Femoston. Femoston Conti has less oestrogen. Elleste Duet Conti has the same amount of oestrogen, but a different progesterone. X

Ghostgirl

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 10:24:27 PM »

Thanks Dotty, so now I need to do some trial and error I guess x