Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Have many of you stopped HRT and had to restart?  (Read 1127 times)

Traceyjd

Have many of you stopped HRT and had to restart?
« on: October 03, 2020, 03:57:05 PM »

Have many people got so frustrated trying to get HRT to suit?  Did you go back on it?  If so, did take long to settle symptoms down again?

Hurdity

Re: Have many of you stopped HRT and had to restart?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 09:19:29 AM »

In answer to the title of the question - I only stopped once and this was 9 years ago! I was fed up because the doc had tarnsferred me to a conti type of HRT of the same type that I had tried as sequi when I first started and gave me migraines. I ripped this patch off in disgust and stopped HRT completely. I had been on it happily for 4 years or so.

My symptoms all came back and more within 3 months so I went back on it again and have been happy with it ever since. Symptoms all settled almost within days - ie flushes and sweats and probably two or three weeks or so before being back to how I was before I stopped.

I can't remember your story? Where are you in menopause and what have you tried, and how old are you?

Hurdity x

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 12:46:53 PM »

Hi Traceyjd, I am just having a break from a conti 2 pumps gel/100mg utrogestan oral daily routine. I am 64 and was on it for 12 months.
I have been having problems with heartburn and a hoarse voice for at least 6 months. My GP referred me to ENT for investigation. This resulted in a camera up the nose and saying my vocal chords were lazy because of the reflux acid. I have also had an ultrasound on my thyroid just to check my nodules and calcification, which I am waiting for results via a follow up phone call with ENT in a couple of weeks.
I have had a prolonged period of stress and anxiety which hasn't helped this situation.

I felt that HRT helped my hot flushes (they more or less vanished) and VA - but not my joints or my anxiety. I also tried Estradot 25 patch (as agreed by my GP following them contacting meno clinic to change from gel)) for a couple of weeks before I decided to stop altogether because of the ENT appt. I wasn't sure if the Utro was causing my stomach upsets or it was just a coincidence.

BUT my hot flushes have come back to how they were before HRT, mainly in the morning on waking and shortly afterwards and a couple in the evenings, not too many during the day. VA seems to be more twingey now even though am on vagifem. My anxiety is awful, constant stomach churning :-\ My joie de vivre has left the building a long time ago!

I have decided to email my meno clinic after I have spoken to ENT, to see if I can go completely transdermal and have a patch, preferably the Femseven when it is available again. I much preferred the ease of patches and had no problems with the estradot sticking.

Its all quite mind boggling and it would appear so many still struggling to feel anywhere like a human being :'(

Traceyjd

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 07:31:15 PM »

Thanks for your reply Julia.... I just don’t know what to do.  I’m not even sure if I’m expecting too much.  It’s 8pm, I’m need to apply a new patch later and I just don’t know what to do.  I want the break from it but not the symptoms back, I dread the fact the hot flushes could be as bad or worse than before, the main reason I went on HRT.

I’m 56 Hurdity, thank you for your reply too.  I started HRT about 18 months ago.  I started on estradiol 0.5mg, upped to 1 mg but I didn’t seem to absorb it well.  I changed to Evorel patches they seemed to suit better but the symptoms started creeping back so I upped the dosage and started getting migraines again.  I’ve had hormonal migraines since I was 21.  I’ve been taking Utrogestan daily throughout but decided to try taking in vaginally, now I’ve had a bleed for 7 days, although only light.  I’ve been to the Newson clinic and they diagnosed me as Histamine intolerant.  I just feel fed up of trying different things and not really getting anywhere.  Since I started bleeding as well, I feel so low. 

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »

Hi Tracyjd, am sorry you are struggling, its awful trying to get the balance right.
I had so many hot flushes last night I thought to heck with this, am going back on it. My knee pain along with other aches and pains have also been awful. I don't feel great on it, but seem to be worse off it so I guess there's the answer. I have been fortunate not to have any bleeding since I started it 12 months ago, so at least that's a bonus!  I stuck an estradot patch on last night and took a utrogestan orally so will see how it goes until Femseven back out. . (British menopause society are still saying will be in production at the end of this year)
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. x

Traceyjd

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 05:12:39 PM »

Thanks Julia.... I decided to stop taking it for now.  Will just have to wait and see how I am now.
Good luck to you too x