Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Can I ask a question about HER / clitoral atrophy ?  (Read 3126 times)

VictoriaB

• First Flush
Can I ask a question about HER / clitoral atrophy ?
« on: October 05, 2020, 11:08:02 AM »

Hi
First post. I'm nearly 60 but went through an early menopause before the age of 40 .
I was never offered HRT, and to be honest , didn't really have any major problems so never requested to go on it.
However last year , I was finding that lube wasn't doing it's job , and I realised that I had a burning sensation most of the time . I've also noticed that in the past year or two my clitoris disappearing.
I went to the Drs and was given Vagifem and I bought up the subject of my disappearing clitoris, and was told to try the Vagifem and see how I got on.
I've been on Vagifem for a year now and whilst it's helped with the dryness , I feel it's not done anything else.
My Drs surgery are not seeing people face to face . Does anyone have any advice ? What treatment could help if any ? I will also add , that I'm reasonably healthy , but in 2014 I did have a T.I.A ( mini stroke ) which I fully recovered from with no further symptoms other than having to take 75mg Aspirin daily.  Does anyone else have this and did any treatment help ?
I'm also worried about my bone density, although nothing has happened to make me concerned except an early menopause and getting older . Thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can I ask a question about HER / clitoral atrophy ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 12:57:47 PM »

Hi! how remiss not to have been offered HRT!  However, if you have had a good varied diet with an exercise regime, your bone health should be OK.  10 mins. brisk walking 3 times a week helps keep bones healthy.  Swimming is good for relieving any aches and pains. Yoga for mental health.  It's all here somewhere, we have threads about most things  ::)

At least the 'vagifem' has eased symptoms?  How often to you require it?  Nightly is often required, it's a bit Trial and Error.  Some ladies find that  :vibe: can help reactivate the clitoris ;-) . 

You can ask for a DEXAscan - mayB ring your local hospital to see what is on offer ?

Browse round.  Make notes ;-).   :welcomemm:

VictoriaB

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 03:41:12 PM »

CLKD - Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I need to buy a flexible friend !
Do you know if I asked to go on some form of HRT, would that help and can it come back again ?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 03:44:44 PM »

I think it's 'use it or lose it'  :-\.

I haven't taken HRT ..... I'll have a quick scan for an appropriate topic ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 03:45:21 PM »

OK - I put 'clitoris' into the search box here and several threads appeared ;-)

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 07:22:27 PM »

Hi VictoriaB, welcome to the forum.

As well as Vagifem, you can ask for Ovestin to apply externally to the vulva  which should help to plump up the area. This can be prescribed over the phone. You should also be checked for other conditions, eg lichen sclerosus, which can result in loss of vulval architecture. For this you could gat a referral to a vulva dermatologist.

I highly recommend you ask to join Jane Lewis's vaginal atrophy Facebook support group. It is a private group, and this topic (the missing clitoris) has been discussed in the last few days. Also you can follow Jane on Instagram (@my_menopausal_vagina) where there are many useful videos and resources. Her book Me and My Menopausal Vagina (Amazon) is an excellent read.

I think you should be able to use transdermal HRT if you have had a TIA. See if you can get a referral to a menopause clinic.

Have a look at Dr Louise Newson's website: www.menopausedoctor.co.uk for many useful articles and interviews.

Best wishes
JP x

VictoriaB

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 07:56:58 PM »

Hi Joaniepat

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm off to join that Facebook page !
Thanks again.

Jeepers

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 10:42:19 AM »

Hi

This is an interesting discussion. Unfortunately for me, I am not on any social media , so I can't see any of the things mentioned above. ( I'm not a technophobe, I work in IT, which has made me guard me very wary)

Do you think testosterone would help in this areA? I don't mean applying it to that area, but just being on testosterone?

Thanks

Jeepers xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 12:28:28 PM »

It might, as the vulva etc has androgen receptors. There might be something on Louise Newson's website, that's not social media  :)
JP x

Mulberry

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 02:13:10 PM »

Like jeepers I don’t use social media for similar reasons. I have started on evorel conti and vagifem.

Vaginal changes can be the tip of the iceberg for some of us girls. It’s only been in the last year that my inner labia have completely gone and my clitoris is smaller than a petit pois with way reduced clitoral hood.

The GP over the last few years was only interested in offering testosterone in an attempt for revive my non existent libido.

I’m not sure why GPs don’t counsel women about the physical changes to the vulva.... choosing to focus on sex drive and vaginal dryness.

My urogynae that I paid privately to see directed the GP to make HRT available to me and what type she wanted me to use etc. She left me with the impression that my lips and clit would not be growing back. She seemed to think that the vagifem might help with the urethral pain and the lack of vaginal comfort.

With the benefit of hindsight I think there is something to be said for heading this off at the pass so to speak and not wait until your vulva has changed irrevocably.

For me I have been referred for psychosexual therapy which might help me get me head around some of the body changes and sexual function issues.

If you GP is unlikely to help you then change to a different one or like one of the other ladies here suggested a referral to a menopause clinic. Don’t be taking no for an answer.