Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Advice please!  (Read 712 times)

pricey

Advice please!
« on: September 30, 2020, 04:14:29 PM »

Hi ladies,

6 days into Norethisterone and I'm still spotting. My doctor is arranging a scan- not sure how long that will take in the current climate. In the meantime she said I can complete this 10 day course then have a bleed (oh, more blood without even a break!) or she has prescribed more norestitherone to continue until I get the scan if I prefer. She feels my cycle has been notoriously persistent but obviously needs to check for other issues. I said I couldn't help but think this prolonged bleeding from mid July coincided with me reducing then completely stopping HRT. (I neglected to do the 12 day utrogestan as had stopped Oestrogel and bled so recently. Maybe this was where I went wrong? ) So I asked if the bleeding could be due to stopping HRT after 5 years and she said she normally allows 6 weeks for that but this has been longer. I checked my diary and it's 6.5 weeks since I stopped completely.

I'm not sure this norestitherone is helping. I had stopped bleeding for 5 days before this last bleed which felt like a proper (albeit super heavy) period and I wonder if  it may have resolved now had it not been for the norestitherone. (I have had a few days break from bleeding off and on these past 3 months).  I wonder if a 12 day course of utrogestan (which I tolerated well) might be more beneficial in trying to resolve any thickening ahead of the scan. I have plenty left. Would this do any harm? Might it reset me?

X

Hurdity

Re: Advice please!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 08:17:54 AM »

Hi pricey - sorry I can't remember your situation and haven't been on the forum but norethisterone is a very powerful progestogen for thinning the womb - better than Utrogestan for dealing with a thickened lining.  Yes it would have been better not to have skipped the utrogestan when you stopped hRT on a cycle - and everyone should always do this. The cycle involves the proliferative phase ( on oestrogen only) when the lining grows in response to oestrogen. When you take the progesterone this is the secretory phase when structural changes to the lining take place - and then when the prog is stopped the shedding/bleeding takes place. Skipping this means the lining thickened as expected but didn;t thin down.

The fact that you started bleeding either means you are not yet post-menopausal ( can't remember?) or that the lining was so thickened that it is shedding spontaneously.

Continuing with the norethisterone should eventually thin it to normal thickness although the doc should order a scan at some point once the bleeding has slowed right down just to check it is not overthinning although presumably once it slows to spotting you would stop the noreth?

What dose are you taking? If you stopped the norethisterone now and it hasn't yet completely thinned the lining down then you should get some sort of proper bleed. Otheriwse it just gradually thins it down and you can get spotting as you say.

Yes 6.5 weeks is a long time. However the fact you are having a scan is great. I think it's up to you to decide whether to carry on taking the noreth or to stop and see what sort of bleed you get. Do you have a date for the scan?

Personally I wouldn't take the utrogestan - there is no need to do so, unless you are feeling very ill on the norethisterone and can't tolerate it?

I hope this helps?

Hurdity x

pricey

Re: Advice please!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 07:04:50 PM »

Sorry Hurdity, I replied in my other post. I'm currently taking 3 × 5mg. It was originally for 10 days.  I have 3 days left. Dr has prescribed more if I want to carry on. She said it was up to me basically. Saying i could "ride the bleed out" while I'm at home didn't fill me with confidence! By the time i stop the tablets I will be back at work anyway.

X