Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Kyleena is out - HRT might be out too  (Read 1347 times)

Blue Kingfisher

Kyleena is out - HRT might be out too
« on: September 27, 2020, 07:42:44 AM »

Hi there,

So the Kyleena is now out, I couldn’t carry on working feeling that bad. My choices now are Utrogestan 200mg vaginally 7 days a months but bi monthly with oestrogel every day or Lenzetto daily. Consultant is happy for me to just do Utrogestan once every 2 months - I had no bleeding with the Kyleena when on 5 pumps oestrogel & he did an ultrasound.

Option 2 is to consider tapering off HRT altogether. Option 3 hysterectomy.

If I were to try coming off HRT does anyone have any advice how to do this? I’m currently on 3 sprays Lenzetto so drop to 2 sprays for how long before dropping to one? Should I also use the Lenzetto every other day at some point and increase the non application days gradually? 

I’m not due to take the Utrogestan now until 1st November so perhaps now would be a reasonable idea to try reducing the Lenzetto to 2 sprays.

Option 3 is obviously my last resort but I can honestly say I only have a few days a month on HRT (when on sequi) that I feel ok so wonder if it’s all worth it. Conti regime is a no go for me so far and not looking to go down that track with conventional HRT at this juncture!

I think I will try reducing Lenzetto to 2 sprays to see how I feel but no idea how long to give it if I then wanted to reduce down to one spray......4 weeks?  Perhaps I should think about switching back to oestrogel after being on 2 pumps Lenzetto for 4 weeks so I can taper down by half pumps?

Not sure how many pumps oestrogel equate to one spray Lenzetto though.....? Does anyone know?

I think my thyroid would be much happier if I wasn’t on HRT as it interferes with my medication but obviously if my symptoms become too severe without the HRT.....I’ll have to think again!

Here comes the next phase of hormonal ‘discovery’......when will this nightmare end?!! >:(

Perinowpost

Re: Kyleena is out - HRT might be out too
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 08:41:13 AM »

Sorry to hear the Kyleena hasn’t worked Blue, I was hoping it would settle down for you 😪.  I can’t answer the rest of your questions as I personally haven’t tried to come off hrt yet.  I suppose the short answer is you won’t know until you do it, and then you’ll have to assess if you feel better or worse.  Either way wishing you luck, let us know how it goes xx

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »

So sorry to hear the Kyleena didn't work out BK. 

Unless your gut instinct is now to come off HRT I'd say try option 1 first - see how you get on with a long cycle, assuming the plan is to scan again to make sure the very reduced progesterone is adequate for lining control.  I'm in a similar position wrt progesterone intolerance, having just started a long cycle regimen with a gynae referral in the pipeline to discuss hysterectomy.

Can't advise on how best to reduce Lenzetto or gel as have been on patches each time I've needed to stop HRT, but presumably tapering with gel is easier than spray?  The attached link from Newson Health shows how the different forms of oestradiol compare, the relevant bit being:-

"Two pumps of Oestrogel is roughly equal to 1 spray of Lenzetto"

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/hrt-the-different-ingredients-brands-and-strengths-available

I hope you soon feel better on whatever you decide to do.
Wx
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:29:00 AM by Wrensong »

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »

Blue Kingfisher, I'm really sorry to hear the Kyleena didn't work out.

Before opting for a hysterectomy, I think it's important to rule out all forms of progesterone for your own peace of mind.   I've just been saying the same thing to racjen on another thread.  I'm afraid it takes time and very often money but I would hate to think of anyone having a hysterectomy unnecessarily as I very nearly did.

Have you considered trying bespoke 50mg progesterone?   I hated Utrogestan but I actually feel better with a small amount of progesterone every day, I feel it gives me balance.   I wonder if the way Utrogestan is absorbed and /or the high dose could be part of the problem because so many women have terrible problems with it.

Re Lenzetto, I found I needed three pumps to feel the same as I do on one pump of Oestrogel.   This was confirmed with blood test results.

Much more work and much more flexibility is needed on the progesterone part of HRT.   So many women end up ditching HRT altogether because they just can't tolerant any form of progesterone.

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 08:20:46 PM »

That’s very interesting that Newson clinic say one spray of Lenzetto = roughly 2 pumps oestrogel as that would put me on approximately 6 pumps oestrogel! Also interesting that Mary G needed 3 pumps of Lenzetto to feel the same as one pump oestrogel. Just shows how baffling & confusing it all is since we all absorb so differently.

I’ve reduced the Lenzetto to 2 sprays & will see how I go. Im not sure what direction I’m heading in yet but reducing the Lenzetto feels the right thing to do at the moment. I will explore other avenues such as bespoke progesterone before entertaining the idea of a hysterectomy. This will be the last resort.

Will see how I get on, thanks for all the support ladies xx