Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen levels are high- am i definitely not post menopausal?  (Read 1059 times)

Bungo

Oestrogen levels are high- am i definitely not post menopausal?
« on: September 24, 2020, 05:38:33 PM »

Am 50, have had perimenopausal symptoms for 4 years now. For various reasons i dont want to start hrt until am post menopause. My question is-my  oestrogen levels were 545 , does this mean I'm still peri? My GP said so, but she also said some things that made me think shes old school(must have hot flushes etc) .

Uptick

Re: Oestrogen levels are high- am i definitely not post menopausal?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »

Definitely. Are you still having monthly periods?

Bungo

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 06:34:08 PM »

Am taking mini pill so no periods for past 6 years . So no chance of having these high oestrogen levels if post menopausal? Thats good. My symptoms are ok, just want to take hrt for my bones when i know I'm post menopausal.  Would like to stay on mini pill until a blood test says low oestrogen - then id come off the pill to see if my periods have stopped. Thats my plan anyway.

Uptick

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 02:33:05 PM »

Sounds like a good plan 🙂

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 02:45:21 PM »

One isn't 'post' menopausal.  Peri is when we realise that periods begin to wax and wane, hormone upheaval may give many unusual and unexpected symptoms, which means that many ladies take HRT to protect heart and bones.

Menopause is literally, the last monthly bleed.  We are in menopause for ever after which is why some symptoms continue to be a nuisance because there may be a small amount of oestrogen filtering through without causing periods.

Have a look at the symptoms that many can suffer - there's a thread here somewhere  ::)

Many believe it's cessation of periods and hot flushes - do read the threads on bladder issues and vaginal atrophy.  Make notes ;-).  If you have a good balanced diet, a regular brisk walking regime for the bones you may not require HRT at all.  My Gynae won't do blood tests preferring to prescribe on symptoms.  He suggests keeping a mood/food/symptom diary.

My periods waxed and waned for several years.  Then suddenly I realised that I had been without for months.  I still carried protection though  ;)

Bungo

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 11:21:41 AM »

I don't have any significant symptoms really , my mother and sisters also escaped anything bad. Have osteoporosis already from years of bad diet so GP recommended taking hrt for a few years before starting any specific osteoporosis meds( whicb can only take for limited period anyway).  Apparently most bone loss occurs the years around menopause day(1 year since last period) so id like to start it as close as possible to menopause day

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 12:22:10 PM »

You need to protect your bones now.  You may not get into 'menopause' proper for years.  Also, blood tests are reliably un-reliable! 

What's to stop you taking HRT now  :-\.  Menopause being literally 'the last monthly bleed' but we don't know for 12-18 months as periods may wax and wane: mine did for 2-3 years then I realised that they had stopped.  I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years though  :D

Where did you see that bone loss occurs in the years around menopause ?   :-\ It can happen if we don't exercise enough as well as not eating dairy through our teens which is why dieting is dangerous. 

Bungo

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 12:43:50 PM »

I need contraception so delaying hrt as long as possible.  Also afraid of rocking boat as am doing well and fron stories here etc, it can take alot of messing around to get right dosage etc. Hrt costs almost 80€ in Ireland where i am so want to take for as little time as needed.
I was a vegan with very unhealthy diet in my teens and 20s so had severe osteopenia from back then. Dramatic bone loss occurs around menopause years and slows down to approx 0.5% a year thereafter

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 03:20:47 PM »

Interesting.  I read an article last weekend that states through research that vegans can actually damage their bodies.  Of course, I can't find it now ....... and I had meant to copy the Link  >:(.  Oh meno brain  :poke2:

Bungo

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 04:23:45 PM »

I was really unhealthy, no supplements or protein. Lived on fruit and bread and coffee for 15 years and smoked like a trooper. Im still a semi vegan but am fanatical about ensuring i eat lots of proteins and calcium every day.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 04:35:21 PM »

:medal:  what did U miss the most during those years, other than chocolate ;-) ?

I love roasted veggies..