Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Painfull intercourse  (Read 884 times)

monalisa

Painfull intercourse
« on: September 25, 2020, 10:06:43 AM »

Post menopause

Had intercourse for first time after a year and it was so painful even with lube.
Stopped intercourse because of pain and uti although not convinced every time it was an infection.
It just feels so painful and tight and like cutting glass .

It is so frustrating.
Even after intercourse I have a dragging pain down below and feel almost bruised even though hubby is gentle.

I have tried the inserted pessary but they also make me feel I have a water infection.

Will this be it now for me ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Painfull intercourse
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 11:27:47 AM »

Nope!

Get plenty of lube in there and don't try to shove the pessary too high initially.  What have you been prescribed, ? vagifem ?  Lay back on a towel and relax as much as possible.  I find after a bath is the best time.

4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there  >:(.  Have a look at the 'sylc' and 'yes' sites as some ladies require additional lubrication around the vaginal area.

MayB take pain relief to ease the 'need to pee' feelings.  I have nurofen: 2 x 3 times a day for 3 days which helps.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 11:45:14 AM »

Hi monalisa, no, this is not it! There is a lot you can do for VA. However, you need to persist with the Vagifem as it can take a while (possibly months) for any of the VA treatments to work. Do a 2 or 3 week loading dose and then reduce to every other day for a while and see how it goes. The UTI feelings may all be part of the VA if no infection is present. You can also use a decent vaginal moisturiser such as one of the Yes products or Sylk.

Good resources for this condition are Jane Lewis's Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group and her book 'Me and my Menopausal Vagina' (from Amazon). Also there is her Instagram page where there is loads of information.

JP x

suzysunday

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »

Things will improve with the right treatment.  I don't know what you are using but you probably need local hrt, vagifem or I use ovestin cream.  It will take a while.  Maybe a few months.  I use ovestin alternate nights..  it's a really horrible feeling and you have my sympathy.  I can have pain free sex with no associated problems (so far)  but it took a while.