Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: On or off HRT  (Read 1020 times)

Katty

On or off HRT
« on: October 05, 2020, 10:16:59 AM »

3 weeks ago on holiday I felt very bloated and after reading the HRT leaflet I realised it might be a side effect. I've been on Kliofem for 4 years. I started taking it to combat vaginal and urinary issues. I'm now 58. I decided to try coming off the systemic HRT and seeing if Vagifem alone would be enough. I got some Vagifem from an online pharmacy and  started the maintenance dose of 2 tablets a week. At the same time I dropped the Kliofem. I must say the Vagifem is brilliant and I feel it targets the problem better than the systemic HRT. I started to go back to joint stiffness however and was reminded of how I was before I first started HRT at 54. I had been in and out of physiotherapy since my mid forties. I had back, shoulder and elbow problems. I read up lots of opinions on different forums and eventually I decided to go back on the HRT. I'm 58 and I thought maybe a few more years to keep my quality of life etc. I notice some women use both systemic and Vagifem. As I am on the highest dose of systemic in Kliofem is it OK to supplement with the Vagifem or would I need a lower dose of systemic?

In the time I have been going through all this I have realised how controversial HRT seems to be. Initially friends and people on forums were all saying I shouldn't go on it and should do it all naturally. I'd be at risk of cancer etc. Coming off 3 weeks ago they were all smug as if I had finally come to my senses. When I said I was coming off on another group they all treated me as if I was letting them down. I was mad. I was going to become an old lady overnight. My brain is fried.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: On or off HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »

It makes me wonder why we discuss our personal health treatments with anyone  :-\ .......... Surely this is between your health provider and yourself?  Especially if others make remarks on what they may have read years ago  ::)

Vagifem is usually used nightly for 2-3 weeks then twice a week.  It is a small amount of HRT and some ladies require nightly treatment - have a look-C at the 'sylc' and 'yes' websites and read our threads on bladder issues and vaginal atrophy.  Forewarned and all that  ::)

This is about you.  Anyone else has opinions which can be read, used, put to 1 side 4 later consideration.  I no longer tell my 93 soon 2B 94 year old mother as she has been dismissive over the years!

Do you keep a mood/food/symptom dairy, diary even  ;D - I may have asked previously  :-\

If you get aches and pains an over the counter pain relief will help.  Let us know how you get on?

Katty

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 01:30:30 PM »

Thanks. There's one particular friend I won't be updating 😁 She's slim does yoga, vegetarian and makes me feel like a split cushion 😂. One thing I do think is worth passing on is be careful of Facebook groups. On here we are all anonymous and can talk intimately but on Facebook you are identified and your contributions can be read by anyone even in a " private" group. I have opted out of Facebook groups because of that.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 02:42:22 PM »

Stick with those who have been there and know ?  like us  ::)

American sites have different view points too!