Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49

Author Topic: Chores  (Read 142884 times)

Limpy

Re: Chores
« Reply #600 on: January 08, 2014, 06:50:39 PM »

Last time we needed any major redecorating done we moved house.

There's some horrible wallpaper upstairs, which came with the house.
Think I've seen OH looking at Right Move...............................   ::)

honeybun

« Reply #601 on: January 08, 2014, 06:53:49 PM »

Is it a mansion CLKD ?

When we had our lovely decorators in they came highly recommend. I trusted them completely and often left them alone in the house. I gave them free run of the kitchen and often cooked for them. They gave my kids Xmas presents and we still exchange Xmas cards. For a good decorator reputation is every thing so there is no need to lock things away.

I find it best to just keep up to date with things and then it can be done in easy stages and not all at the one time. When we do start a room every thing is picked before and when we clear a room we start right away and keep going every day until it's done. I could not cope with it going on for weeks on end.
Our kitchen is next. Not until the spring though.

Honeyb
x

bramble

« Reply #602 on: January 08, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »

I'm with you HB. I can't stand living in a boorach (good Scottish word meaning mess) and I need to get my decorating done as soon as possible. I have to add that I was just getting the rooms emulsioned and the ceilings and woodwork done as well. No papering although when he was here years ago to do papering and emulsioning, it still didn't take him more than a week to do 2 or 3 rooms.
Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #603 on: January 08, 2014, 07:06:08 PM »

The reason that it took my blokes six weeks was because the place was enormous and had not been touched for about forty years. There were about seven layers of wall paper on every wall and in some places furniture had been papered around rather than move it.

The month before, we moved out for a few days for a new kitchen bathroom and central heating to be fitted.
It was like living in a war zone.

Just like to get it done and dusted and get on with things.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #604 on: January 08, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »

I find that since having fibromyalgia I just can't put the physical work in like I used to especially while still working - I had to change my way of thinking and let things go a bit. Hard to do but it was necessary. I think that it's great how different we all are on here!

I don't mind clearing up my own mess but got fed up with clearing up other peoples but as my husband said once after I had grumbled about the pile of shoes and boots in the hall "Who said that we have to live as YOU want to in this house - you like it neat I like it a bit more shambled" and I had to admit that he had a point. The lounge is kept fairly tidy and the rest is much more lived in - including up to three neighbourhood cats snoozing away their days on my sofas.

Taz x  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #605 on: January 08, 2014, 08:59:54 PM »

Yep, actually  :D ……..

bev567901

« Reply #606 on: January 08, 2014, 11:58:07 PM »

CLKD my husband is a decorator/lots of other useful skills. Most people give him keys these days or leave him with the house whilst they go away. Can be useful taking in the mail, deliveries, feed the cat etc. Check for intruders. Easier for him too & quicker so it costs less. Come home to to all those jobs you never get around to doing.  Now where is my list?  Must get someone in!  xx

CLKD

« Reply #607 on: January 09, 2014, 11:14:26 AM »

Bev .......... it's the preparation I find so boring <yawn> - the moving of 200 books, silver, jewellry, paintings, prints .........  ::) ...... DH has already decided on how he will tackle the dining room ......... so that's a start, he hasn't decided when though  ;D

Today I opened our oven door  :o .........

Taz2

« Reply #608 on: January 09, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »

Do you decorate together CLKD. Takes less time - or are you on the clearing out and prepping tasks?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #609 on: January 09, 2014, 12:23:14 PM »

I begin clearing the shelves whilst Himself does the prep., then I can wield a paintbrush as high as I can reach  ;D ....... but not today, car has gone wrong so off to the garage later  :-\

Ju Ju

« Reply #610 on: January 09, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »

We had a lovely new kitchen fitted 2 years, but only now has my hubbie started doing the tiling! Very  s  l  o  w  l  y,  but it looks good so far. He didn't have the successful DIY label, when I married him, so can't complain. I would do it myself, but struggling with health issues. We have employed a builder to do a lot of work over the years and have felt comfortable leaving him the keys while we went away, with my daughter popping in to see if all is well.

honeybun

« Reply #611 on: January 09, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »

If I only painted the bits I could reach it would not be that high.

There is of course the wonderful thing called a ladder.  ;D

Honeyb
x

bev567901

« Reply #612 on: January 09, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »

Oh dear the dreaded oven!!  I have started using those bags you shove it all in & leave. They always leak so I put them outside.   I used to think nothing of decorating a room as well as my usual daily stuff, maybe take a week over it but today I washed the windowseat cushion & cushions, ironed them but just too achey to even try & put them back on. Feeling 100, why does peri make you ache all over?  In fact one of my very first strange happenings was my left arm & shoulder earlier last year it felt like stinging & then it was incredibly painful for weeks. I was too mean to go to get it sorted & it just went away. Is this old age?  xx

CLKD

« Reply #613 on: January 10, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »

Yep Bev I believe it is  :-\ HORMONES  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #614 on: January 12, 2014, 05:21:32 PM »

We spent yesterday cleaning, dusting, hoovering ……… DH upstairs, me in the kitchen and utility room.  Still not all done  :-\ ………. onwards and upwards during the week  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49