Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 894 times)

Dawn20

Utrogestan
« on: September 20, 2020, 09:26:42 AM »

Hello,

I am 54 and started HRT in March due to depression and osteopenia. In general it has been great. 3.5 pumps of estrogel and 100mg utrogestan, and vagifem. I take the utrogestan everynight. I spilt the estrogel to 2 pumps in the morning, and 1.5 at night, I read somewhere it would be absorbed better this way. However, I am thinking I am having some side effects from the utrogestan. These being waking in the night with nightmares and panicky feelings, feeling tired and depressed in the mornings. This low mood improves during the day.

I have read you can take it vaginaly, which I am going to try but have some questions.

1) Do you use the same tablet vaginally? Or do I need a new prescription?
2) Can I insert the vagifem at the same time as the utrogestan?
3) Do I insert the utrogestan every night or every other night?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before! I couldn't find an answer to 2) when I searched the forum.

Dawn xx

Jane50

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 12:51:45 PM »

Hi Dawn

Yes it's the same tablet that you use vaginally. Just poke it up as far as you can! Some ladies on here take half the dose if taking it vaginally, so if you are on 200mg you could take 100mg vaginally. I take 200mg vaginally to try to control heavy bleeding.I guess it's down to individual.

Some ladies on here insert utrogestan at night and vagifem in the morning.

I'm not sure about every other night, it's all about keeping the endometrium protected. I'm sure someone else will come along who can help.

Whilst on the utrogestan phase I'm finding my night sweats and cortisol rushes are worse... I did read that progesterone could possibly bind to the oestrogen receptors and cause symptoms of lower oestrogen. Have you found that or are you having night sweats all the time? I'm about to swap to the Mirena coil so we'll see if that helps...

I also initially split my oestrogel dose between morning and evening but I now put it all on in the morning as I've found it made no difference. And also got fed up waiting for the gel to dry at night when I wanted to get into bed! Again it's finding what works for you.

X

Dawn20

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 07:55:22 AM »

Thanks for your reply Jane50.

Great useful information. I'm going forward trying Utrogestan internally every night and vagifem in the mornings 2/3 times per week to see how I go. I think you might be right about the oestrogel drying, it might be best to do altogether! Especially in winter, waiting for it to dry when it's cold! 😂😂😂

I'm not having night sweats, just occasionally waking with a panicky feeling and racing heart, sometimes accompanied with a nightmare. I'll see how I get on, they might clear up with changing how I use the Utrogestan. 😀