Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Post-menopausal bleeding, scan, now cramps  (Read 1438 times)

CindyC

Post-menopausal bleeding, scan, now cramps
« on: September 14, 2020, 12:51:21 PM »

I’ve been on Femoston Conti 1/5 for 5 1/2 yrs.  Felt great, no problems at all for all this time.

Four weeks ago I had a very slight wishy washy brown smudge on the loo paper, sorry for TMI! Lol. Also had mild crampy pains that felt for all the world like I was going to have a period!  Nothing appeared, no more brown tinge discharge, no actual blood at all.  Got in to see Doc 4 days later, next day vaginal ultrasound, so 5 days after the smudge.

Report said:
Uterus normal, endometrium 4mm not thickened, no polyps.  Ovaries atrophic, no other pelvic mass.
There is however some fluid seen within the endocervical canal and impression of 2 x 8mm nodule that ‘could’ represent a cervical polyp.  If bleeding persists gynaecological consult recommended.  There is no abnormal vascular it’s on colour Doppler interrogation.

So, I had taken antibiotics 3 wks previous to the smudge, wondered if that had effected the HRT, although Doc was not convinced.  Fours weeks to the day of the ‘smudge’ I have the mild, crampy feeling, like I’m going to have a period again!  No brown smudge, blood or anything.....yet!

Can’t work out why I might be getting monthly cramp after all this time.  I did start an exercise regime 4 wks ago, light weights and cardio.  I do drink some Roogenic herbal teas, but I’ve been using those for a few months now with no effects before.

Anyone else had anything like this before?

Sage 🍃

Re: Post-menopausal bleeding, scan, now cramps
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 01:17:01 PM »

Hi CindyC, antibiotics may affect contraceptives efficacy so I can't see why they can't affect oral HRT as well.

https://ebm.bmj.com/content/early/2020/07/28/bmjebm-2020-111363
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:25:33 PM by Sage »

C.C.

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 05:20:19 PM »

HI Cindy C

I too had postmenopausal bleeding recently, more than a smudge however (sorry). Mine lasted 6 days each time. I have had the scans, which showed a thickening and an ovarian cyst, had a biopsy (clean) and in a month I'm having a hysteroscope and D&C.  I'm not on HRT but I started a weight loss and exercise plan in February. Since then I have lost a decent amount of weight. My gyne says that the weight loss might be contributing factor to a surge in estrogen production, but he can't say for certain.

I agree with Sage, maybe the antibiotics interefered somehow with the HRT.

CindyC

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 10:17:37 PM »

I thought it was probably the antibiotics the first time too....but now exactly 4 weeks later I’m getting crampy feeling, slightly tender boobs, all the feelings of I’m about to have a period again but nothing happens.

It’s like my hormones have kicked in again, but I’ve had absolutely nothing for the 5 1/2 yrs of being on HRT Conti and 14 mths of nothing before that.

Sage 🍃

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 10:24:10 PM »

Which ABs have you taken? Some can have effects that last for months!

CindyC

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 12:28:23 PM »

Hi Sage  :)

It was actually cefalexin.  Took it for a week, had an insect bite that got infected  :(

After 3 days of mild cramps, tender boobs, feeling just like I was going to come on....nothing! Lol. Really weird how it happened exactly 4 weeks from the first time.

Can your hormones change even after you’ve been on a Conti hrt for so long??

Sage 🍃

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 04:26:44 PM »

Hi CindyC 👋🏻

Cephalexin is not one of the problematic ones, the so called enzyme inducers, but it can disrupt the gut microbiota which   can interfere with estradiol metabolism. Have you had any side effects from the antibiotic?

Can you tell if you're peri or post menopause? If you're peri it could be your own hormones kicking in.

CindyC

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 10:17:41 PM »

Hi Sage

I’ve been on Femoston Conti for 5 1/2 yrs, problem free.  I had no period for 14mths prior to starting Femoston, so I’m post menopause.  Coming up 60 in Dec so would say I’m post menopause.

Tinacros

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 08:56:16 PM »

Hi cindyC
I’m on an evorel 50 patch and daily utrogestan. For the past two weeks I am getting the exact same “brown smudge”. Only when I wipe myself. The only thing I can think I’ve done different is go back to the gym. But I can’t see that affecting me. I’m also 5 years post meno. Was on femoston conti but it was too low hose for me. I’ve not spoke to GP about
It. X

Sage 🍃

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 05:54:48 PM »

Hi Sage

I’ve been on Femoston Conti for 5 1/2 yrs, problem free.  I had no period for 14mths prior to starting Femoston, so I’m post menopause.  Coming up 60 in Dec so would say I’m post menopause.

Thank you. Maybe it's a polyp being responsible for the bleeding. I have two polyps and they bled out of synch when I still had periods during perimenopause. They seem to have shrunken once my oestrogen levels have declined.