Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT estrogen only and having a period  (Read 712 times)

3isenough

HRT estrogen only and having a period
« on: September 18, 2020, 10:22:36 PM »

Long story short. I am 42 and peri meno, on HRT for nearly a year. I am currently taking estrogen only.

No supplemental progesterone for nearly 60 days and even then it was a mirena for a week before it fell out.  A week ago I was very PMT ish. Then bam today period... can my own body create enough progesterone to cause a withdrawal bleed when I am taking 4 pumps of estrogel??

My progesterone intolerance is a whole other issue. But if my body is creating enough to counter the estrogen... what does that mean ?

3isenough

Re: HRT estrogen only and having a period
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 10:29:12 PM »

Having read further down this board. Looks like something in the air ... full moon maybe?? Anyway, clearly this is not unusual so I won’t worry about it.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 07:32:28 AM »

Hi 3isenough - I see you're not worried but I'm a bit confused by your post. Only very igh doses of oestrogen will be sufficient to suppress ovulation so presumably in your case even though you are taking 4 pumps - your cycle is still appearing.

The other possibility is, because you are not taking progesterone, then your womb lining could have thickened so that the endometrium is coming away spontaneously and indicates that you need to be taking progesterone. However the fact that you experience=d pms tends to indicate that it could be a true period.

All the same keep an eye on it - you really don't want to risk your womb lining thickening.

Are you planning on taking a course of progesterone (even if intermittently) and are you having scans to check your lining if you're not, and under medical supervision?

Hurdity x

3isenough

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 10:10:33 PM »

Hi Hurdity. My lining was checked at an ultrasound a couple of weeks ago and was fine. I think it was my body fighting back with a cycle, I had some
ovulation type pains too. I am in discussion with a gynae about having a hysterectomy... laparoscopy happening next week to check for adhesions following 2 sections and some gastrointestinal trouble. If they aren’t too severe it should happen soon. If not I will have to review my options... which are very poor as I can’t have a mirena (ablation scatting) and I can’t tolerate the utrogestan, my own progesterone, POP or previous combi pill or injection. So let’s all hope the hysterectomy is a go-er!