Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: How are you coping with hair loss?  (Read 983 times)

SarahLou68

How are you coping with hair loss?
« on: September 22, 2020, 01:47:52 PM »

Hi all
I am new here but have just had a load of blood tests to find out why I am losing my hair and so far it all points to menopause.  My hair has always been my 'thing'  as it was really thick, long and curly. I have been losing hair for a while but lately it has accelerated to the point where I can see scalp in the front which is smooth and pink.
I am beyond devastated to say the least - does anyone have any advice or tips?  I am already wearing hairbands to try and cover it up.  The doctor has said that there is nothing I can do until they are certain what the cause is.  I have an ultrasound in a few weeks but I am terrified about how bad it will be by then and it could be weeks after that before I start any treatment.  I was already struggling to sleep at night and this has just made it worse.  :'(
Thanks

CherrySG

Re: How are you coping with hair loss?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 02:49:00 PM »

Hi SarahLou. I had a few infections sequentially and lost lots of my hair earlier in the year, Regaine helped me get it back, it worked fantastically, but I had to give it up as it triggered some kind of enzyme-related acid reflux  :(

I have however found that my hair's improved a bit (hairline a bit better) on continuous combined HRT. Oestradiol alone makes me shed hair, even Vagifem, but any kind of progesterone, although tiring, seems to stop this. It'll never be as thick as it was when I was young though, although Regaine gave me back my 20-something thickness for a short while. Nice while it lasted!

Another friend of mine found her hair improved on HRT, but some people have a different experience. Low iron also seems to cause hair loss, or thyroid issues, but it sounds like you're having tests for all these? Or if you're struggling to sleep at night could it be stress-related?

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 06:00:34 PM »

Hair loss is devastating

Things to consider;

Regaine

Nanogen hair fibres

There’s a little compressed powder thing that is great for concealing patches on scalp

Clip in hair toppers

Always best to have a full blood test to rule out other things too x

Evie606

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 08:05:22 PM »

Hi Sarahlou,

Like you, my hair was my favourite feature and I know my partner loves my long hair. It’s very upsetting.
I suffered hair loss whilst on a particular  HRT combo and I agree with CherryG that being on a continuous HRT has helped.
Lately I’ve been losing again after going  hypothyroid.  :(
I’ve been using L’Oreal magic root spray to cover thin areas and I’m told it’s not noticeable. I use brown spray with red  Revolution hair powder and it goes well with my dark brown/cherry red mix.
I’ve stopped blow drying my hair and using straighteners. I also use a proper detangling brush which is gentle.
Hope all goes well with the ultrasound. X

Brit66

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 06:57:07 AM »

Hi all
I am new here but have just had a load of blood tests to find out why I am losing my hair and so far it all points to menopause.  My hair has always been my 'thing'  as it was really thick, long and curly. I have been losing hair for a while but lately it has accelerated to the point where I can see scalp in the front which is smooth and pink.
I am beyond devastated to say the least - does anyone have any advice or tips?  I am already wearing hairbands to try and cover it up.  The doctor has said that there is nothing I can do until they are certain what the cause is.  I have an ultrasound in a few weeks but I am terrified about how bad it will be by then and it could be weeks after that before I start any treatment.  I was already struggling to sleep at night and this has just made it worse.  :'(
Thanks

Hi SarahLou68,

I'm sorry you are losing your hair, I have had that too. What really helped me was tweaking my diet and eating more healthy oils; I eat salmon twice a week now and use olive oil in my cooking. I know it sounds so simple, but it honestly has made so much difference to my hair that I don't need to use my clip in extensions, and my friends and family have really noticed :) My hair is growing really well and looks thick and strong.
I understand that you are still having tests to determine what exactly is going on, but if it's 'just' hormones, then HRT should help a lot from everything I've heard.
One thing though, don't allow yourself to become anxious over your hair loss, that will just make it worse, especially if it's linked to stress. All the best to you  :D

SarahLou68

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 10:35:15 AM »

Thank you ladies for the advice and support, it means a lot to find a safe place to talk about it. 
A little background - I am 52 and have just started to be irregular with my periods which have always been very heavy, although I have had a lot of other 'symptoms' for around a year now.  I have had some test results back and so far my iron levels, thyroid, B12 and inflammatory markers have all come back as normal. I am just waiting for the hormone and antibody results to come back.  I think it probably is 'just' hormones and I am about to start my journey towards finding the right treatment. 
I have overhauled my diet and eat very healthily and have lost 1.5 stones so far - probably around a stone to go!  I will look at all your other suggestions and push hard with the doctor to look at HRT although I have always been wary of it - does it mean your periods continue while you are taking it? 
I really want them to stop as I have had to come home from work numerous times to shower and change :(

Thanks again!  :-*

Brit66

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 11:45:34 AM »

Thank you ladies for the advice and support, it means a lot to find a safe place to talk about it. 
A little background - I am 52 and have just started to be irregular with my periods which have always been very heavy, although I have had a lot of other 'symptoms' for around a year now.  I have had some test results back and so far my iron levels, thyroid, B12 and inflammatory markers have all come back as normal. I am just waiting for the hormone and antibody results to come back.  I think it probably is 'just' hormones and I am about to start my journey towards finding the right treatment. 
I have overhauled my diet and eat very healthily and have lost 1.5 stones so far - probably around a stone to go!  I will look at all your other suggestions and push hard with the doctor to look at HRT although I have always been wary of it - does it mean your periods continue while you are taking it? 
I really want them to stop as I have had to come home from work numerous times to shower and change :(

Thanks again!  :-*

Your story sounds almost the same as mine😊, frustrating isn't it?
I was the same with hrt, very wary. But after having consultations with 2 gynecologists who are very well known, I was wary of NOT taking it! So I took the plunge 3 weeks ago and I have noticed an improvement, particularly in the past week with my mood, my periods, hot flashes and night sweats. I am a normal weight and work out 3-4 times a week and have a good diet  but I still needed the hrt. It's a personal choice and in the end, the tiny risk of hrt was worth it for me for all the proven benefits to my mental and physical benefits. I want to age well and I don't want to suffer as I have for so mamy years now, life is for living  :)
Good luck with your journey!