Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thinking of stopping Estrogel due to joint pain side effects  (Read 9881 times)

Neerb74

Thinking of stopping Estrogel due to joint pain side effects
« on: September 15, 2020, 08:45:59 PM »

I just don't know what to do. I'm 45 and have been on hrt for 6 weeks. I thought hrt would approve my joint pains but they are so much worse and are affecting every joint. I thought going from 2 to 3 pumps would improve things but they are a lot worse. Even every joint in my finger is painful :(
I had a Serum Estradiol bt and it has come back as 1500 so I'm thinking maybe I have too much Estrogen? I'm thinking of stopping as it is restricting me so much, I can't exercise either.

dahliagirl

Re: Thinking of stopping Estrogel due to joint pain side effects
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:57:35 PM »

Do you have enough vit D and magnesium as well?

DS68

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:40:08 PM »

Hi Neerb74

I'm interested to.know how you progress.  I'm 51 am on the gel 1.5 pumps a day and tabs 12 days 200mg

I'm in a lot of pain with my joints too, even joints.i forgot I had hurt.
I used to jog as it helped free my mind a bit but I feel so frail suddenly it's awful.
Should I increase the gel ?
I'm not sure, do let me know what you try and what works if anything

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 07:48:55 AM »

It seems to me that whilst some women feel the benefits of HRT relatively quickly, for others it takes a good few months. Joint pain is something that HRT helps with and for me after 3 months I noticed a big difference. The difficulty is getting the dose right. From what I can glean from the internet  it seems that some symptoms require a higher dose of oestrogen for relief compared to say relief of hot flushes and again if you up the dose it will take a while to notice any difference.

Anecdotally, my Auntie who is 80, still takes HRT - loves it - but said it was 6 months before she felt the full benefit!

Brit66

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 02:36:16 PM »

I hope the joint pain settles down and disappears soon! I have that every few months and it's absolutely awful to live with  :-\ I have just started HRT so hoping this will be the answer for my symptoms.
I have read of others using the testosterone gel for this, it seems to really work so maybe worth a try?  :)

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 04:36:43 PM »

It might be worth getting checked by your gp. Although low oestrogen can cause it so can other things, you might be starting with arthritis or some other problem. I had pain on my hips which went with hrt but it did take a while, probably 3 months but can't really remember (seems the brain fog is on-going!). Testosterone stopped me pulling muscles but didn't make a difference to my joints.

Neerb74

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »

I've decided to stop completely. It has got worse since starting hrt and worse since upping the gel :(
I think I'm going to give my body a break from all these hormones as had lots of side effects from the 5+ pills I have tried before hrt.
I'm very sad but it seems that hormones are not for me 😥

Neerb74

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 08:57:29 PM »

5 days on and my joints pains are non existent. I can't believe hrt would do that :(

Brit66

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 10:21:27 PM »

5 days on and my joints pains are non existent. I can't believe hrt would do that :(

Really? Wow-I thought that the opposite would happen.. :o

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 10:51:07 PM »

I had problems with Elleste, but it seemed to be in progestogen (norithisterone) phase.

Neerb74

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 11:42:01 AM »

Dahlia - funny you should say that as it was when I took the Progesterone it got worse and I do have intolerance. It got so bad it was disabling, honestly. I really could not put up with that amount of pain and was hoping it would help my joint pain but it made it considerably worse :(

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 09:42:58 PM »

I took it for 3 months and gave up after the first few days of progestogen on the third month (got told off for that  ::) )

I went on Femoston (dydrogesterone) afterwards and had no problem.  The doctor thought that as my aches had initially improved then got worse that I actually needed more oestrogen.  I moved onto the Femoston 2/10 about a year later as I realised the 1/10 was not quite doing enough and I was getting more anxiety/adrenaline problems and I was lucky as this was good for quite a while.

The thing is that when I changed from Elleste to Femoston, I had bloods done for arthritis and it came up with VitD levels just above the low level and I started on vitD. So I will never know if it was this or the hrt.  There was a definite increase in the joint pain during the progestogen phase that got worse each month, but I get pains if I do not take vitamin D for a while.

The pains in my neck, before hrt, were so bad that I used to go to bed early to lie flat.  Couldn't even hold my head up with my pile of pillows to read a book.

Brit66

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 06:44:46 AM »

I took it for 3 months and gave up after the first few days of progestogen on the third month (got told off for that  ::) )

I went on Femoston (dydrogesterone) afterwards and had no problem.  The doctor thought that as my aches had initially improved then got worse that I actually needed more oestrogen.  I moved onto the Femoston 2/10 about a year later as I realised the 1/10 was not quite doing enough and I was getting more anxiety/adrenaline problems and I was lucky as this was good for quite a while.

The thing is that when I changed from Elleste to Femoston, I had bloods done for arthritis and it came up with VitD levels just above the low level and I started on vitD. So I will never know if it was this or the hrt.  There was a definite increase in the joint pain during the progestogen phase that got worse each month, but I get pains if I do not take vitamin D for a while.

The pains in my neck, before hrt, were so bad that I used to go to bed early to lie flat.  Couldn't even hold my head up with my pile of pillows to read a book.

So your joint pain went away with an increase in hrt?

dahliagirl

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 01:50:03 PM »

It improved on the lower dose, and with the vitamin D, (although I discovered I needed magnesium as well to keep it that way) and also with the change in progestogen.

The higher dose did not seem to make any difference either way. However, now I am on the lower dose again, I find I am having more problems and it is harder to keep it at bay.

Brit66

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 08:51:28 PM »

It improved on the lower dose, and with the vitamin D, (although I discovered I needed magnesium as well to keep it that way) and also with the change in progestogen.

The higher dose did not seem to make any difference either way. However, now I am on the lower dose again, I find I am having more problems and it is harder to keep it at bay.

Hmm, that's interesting isn't it? And frustrating! Sending hugs..