Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Starting HRT. 3 months onwards hopefully useful feedback  (Read 1489 times)

Gnatty

Starting HRT. 3 months onwards hopefully useful feedback
« on: September 13, 2020, 01:42:03 PM »

Hi everyone, I am posting this in the hope it might help anyone starting HRT for the first time. Brief background, I am 54 still having heavy periods and I do have a fibroid. Started the HRT because of hot flushes, mood swings and anxiety but more importantly as a long term health benefit. I spent a long time researching, I found Louise Newson's podcasts particularly helpful even some of Menopausetaylor youtube videos (aka Menopause Barbie! ). It seemed to me to be a no brainer - protection against heart disease, osteoporosis, Alzheimers etc etc.

Now I think because of my age I was offered by my GP a continuous regime despite having periods. So oestrogel and utrogestan 100mg days 1- 25. I agreed to this as I read somewhere that with fibroids  a continuous regime stops spikes of oestrogen which could in theory stimulate fibroid growth.

What I am getting round to saying albeit slowly is that it really did take 3 months to start to feel the full benefit. The first few weeks I only took one pump of gel but then switched to 2 pumps. I particularly want to mention this because I have noticed a lot of ladies worry that the oestrogen is causing anxiety and feeling a bit wired. Now I did experience that when I increased the dose but I stuck with it and the important thing to say is that those symptoms have now completely gone. So don't let it make you give up the HRT before giving your body chance to get used to it.

I am having a video call with the pharmacist at Newson health towards the end of the month as I still have a few questions that I think will be better answered there than at my GP. For example what is the best therapeutic dose of oestrogen to reap the long term health benefits etc. So will report back. If any one wants to ask me any questions please do, still very new to this forum but it's such a great resource!

If this post should be somewhere else would someone kindly move it for me?

Foxylady

Re: Starting HRT. 3 months onwards hopefully useful feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 01:53:33 PM »

Thank you Gnatty for sharing that update with us. I was the same HRT no brainer for me, quality of life now & in the future made me persevere with it. I think it does take time to get to that sweet spot re dose and type of HRT especially in peri with your levels being so erratic. I hope you find the pharmacist video call useful and your symptoms keep improving. x

Gnatty

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 02:22:43 PM »

Thank you Foxylady, if I learn anything interesting I will definitely share xx

Sal333

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 05:59:43 AM »

Hi Natty,
I’m a new member also, been prescribed same as yourself, and I’ve read so much with Dr Louise Newson such great reads, helps you understand so much more!

I’m a little confused to why I’ve been told utrogestan days 1-25, as I’m 47 periods still regular (usually day 24-28) I assumed I would be in the 10-12 day x2 category. ( or 2week as Newson suggests) I would be interested to hear your findings on this.

Also what happens if you get a bleed in between? Do you carry on taking as to follow the original bleed🤷🏻‍♀️

Glad your getting settled!

Sal333 xx 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:41:24 AM by Sal333 »

sed

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »

Hi everyone, I am posting this in the hope it might help anyone starting HRT for the first time. Brief background, I am 54 still having heavy periods and I do have a fibroid. Started the HRT because of hot flushes, mood swings and anxiety but more importantly as a long term health benefit. I spent a long time researching, I found Louise Newson's podcasts particularly helpful even some of Menopausetaylor youtube videos (aka Menopause Barbie! ). It seemed to me to be a no brainer - protection against heart disease, osteoporosis, Alzheimers etc etc.

Now I think because of my age I was offered by my GP a continuous regime despite having periods. So oestrogel and utrogestan 100mg days 1- 25. I agreed to this as I read somewhere that with fibroids  a continuous regime stops spikes of oestrogen which could in theory stimulate fibroid growth.

What I am getting round to saying albeit slowly is that it really did take 3 months to start to feel the full benefit. The first few weeks I only took one pump of gel but then switched to 2 pumps. I particularly want to mention this because I have noticed a lot of ladies worry that the oestrogen is causing anxiety and feeling a bit wired. Now I did experience that when I increased the dose but I stuck with it and the important thing to say is that those symptoms have now completely gone. So don't let it make you give up the HRT before giving your body chance to get used to it.

I am having a video call with the pharmacist at Newson health towards the end of the month as I still have a few questions that I think will be better answered there than at my GP. For example what is the best therapeutic dose of oestrogen to reap the long term health benefits etc. So will report back. If any one wants to ask me any questions please do, still very new to this forum but it's such a great resource!

If this post should be somewhere else would someone kindly move it for me?

This is just so helpful - thank you  :) I for one was thinking about throwing in the towel after failing at my first attempt of HRT and the GP saying to me that if this second batch of HRT doesn’t work he doesn’t know what to do (unhelpful).  I will push through for 3 months now in the hope it works.

Mulberry

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 08:59:52 PM »

I’m just waiting for the GP to get round to sorting my prescription out now that he is being ‘made’ to by a consultant. For me I have felt so dreadful I have almost lost the will to live!

The way I see it is that if something feels terrible then even if the HRT isn’t the panacea you were hoping for it can’t be any worse than where some of us are right now.

That’s my current outlook. For me the genitourinary symptoms are way worse than anything else. The hot flushes I could cope with.

I’m very post menopausal but it’s like it never seems to stop!

Your GPs attitude sounds fairly typical. Does it ring a little of ‘if this doesn’t work that’s about all I can do for you’ or is that just the way I reads that. Could be my tainted perceptions perhaps  ;D

Gnatty

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 07:59:28 AM »

Hi Sal333. I too was put on the conti utrogestan and still having periods although I appreciate I am a few years older! But this is something I plan to discuss at the video appointment and report back. I do wonder whether it is all to do with that there is a chance we could get ourselves pregnant and maybe the conti regime might mask the pregnancy?!??!

Hi Sed, I hope the new HRT works for you. I think getting the dose right is very individual, what HRT are you taking out of interest? With the gel, it is relatively easy to up the dose but then you have to give it time before you see the benefits again. Regarding the progesterone side there is a wealth of info on here if you have a search.

I have just posted about this somewhere else but worth repeating here - my Aunty who is 80 still takes HRT and wouldn't be without it. But--- it took 6 months for her to feel the full benefits.

sed

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 08:40:34 AM »

Hi Sal333. I too was put on the conti utrogestan and still having periods although I appreciate I am a few years older! But this is something I plan to discuss at the video appointment and report back. I do wonder whether it is all to do with that there is a chance we could get ourselves pregnant and maybe the conti regime might mask the pregnancy?!??!

Hi Sed, I hope the new HRT works for you. I think getting the dose right is very individual, what HRT are you taking out of interest? With the gel, it is relatively easy to up the dose but then you have to give it time before you see the benefits again. Regarding the progesterone side there is a wealth of info on here if you have a search.

I have just posted about this somewhere else but worth repeating here - my Aunty who is 80 still takes HRT and wouldn't be without it. But--- it took 6 months for her to feel the full benefits.

Hi Gnatty

I moved from Evorel Sequi to Conti because it was suspected that maybe the estrogen on its own was making me feel worse during the 2 weeks the patch was used.  I was only on the sequi for 5.5 weeks.  On day 5 of the Conti and so far I wake every morning with very low energy and slightly achy, a little anxious but have to keep reminding myself have to give it time.

Gnatty

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 02:46:00 PM »

That's interesting Sed, I recall now the first few weeks of taking HRT I was lacking in energy too (as well as feeling anxious)  but then it started to pick up. To be fair I did increase the oestrogel after I think 3,4 weeks from one pump to two and then gradually improved. One pump is a very low dose. I don't know how much is in Evorel - is it a decent amount of oestrogen?

sed

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 03:11:49 PM »

That's interesting Sed, I recall now the first few weeks of taking HRT I was lacking in energy too (as well as feeling anxious)  but then it started to pick up. To be fair I did increase the oestrogel after I think 3,4 weeks from one pump to two and then gradually improved. One pump is a very low dose. I don't know how much is in Evorel - is it a decent amount of oestrogen?

Each patch contains 3.2 mg of estradiol corresponding to a nominal release of 50 micrograms of estradiol (hope that makes sense I have copied from the box)

Today I have felt pretty low.  I am confused not sure if it’s anxiety or side effects of it all  :'( felt tired even though I slept but now it seems my insomnia has returned / just generally down in the dumps  :'(
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:33:37 AM by sed »

Sal333

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 06:53:31 PM »

Hi Gnatty,

I had an ovary removed with a cyst around 15 years ago & the consultant sterilised the one left, so no pregnancy issues for me! 🙋🏻‍♀️

Sal333
Xx