Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy - HRT and vagifem only things that have helped  (Read 1119 times)

JenJab

Vaginal atrophy - HRT and vagifem only things that have helped
« on: September 17, 2020, 04:19:14 PM »

Hi thought I would join this forum. I'm mid 40s and have been going through surgical menopause for 1 year and have vaginal atrophy.  I thought I was good with pain with lots of cysts all the time (they burst they hurt but it's not the end of the world), non stop cramps, periods every 2 weeks, bad endo and millions of fibroids and then bowel pain due to endo and bowel problems.    Anyway had a hysterectomy as I needed my bowel more than my vagina and the bowel pain and fear of losing my bowel etc. was an option so goodbye vagina choosing my bowel which I needed. Anyway I knew going through menopause was a risk.   Didn't know much about menopause but it has been hell as well like everything else gyno related.  Never heard about vaginal atrophy and while bursting ovarian cysts was common for me and endo pain all the time I thought was painful VA takes the cake for me for pain limits.  I remember sitting through movies all the time with husband with nausea and pain all the time but at least I could sit.

Not being able to sit down due to VA, vag felt like it was on fire all the time, holding ice packs on my vulva, nerve pain down my legs etc. no one tells you about.  I've found the only thing to work was HRT combo of both estrogen and progesterone and pessaries.   I joined the forum as not much is written about VA and I have been very, very , very  thankful to the few woman who have shared their stories on line as I don't feel so alone so thank you to all you ladies who have shared. It's not commonly talked or written about so thank you to every one who has shared their stories with others online!

So things are o.k. and I'm in a better place - just wanted to share as Docs said I didn't need progesterone due to the hysterectomy but I have had bad allergic reactions to all the estrogen I have tried was getting bad reactions like numbness in my mouth, lips and throat and numbness first would start in my fingers and toes numb and bad reactions so don't know what that was about just don't have any luck. Anyway I tried different forms if estrogen but nothing worked for months and pain meds and nerve meds I didn't want to get used to.  What did end up working which was a bit of luck finding but I was able to tolerate HRT with both estrogen and progesterone taking 50/250 and once this kicked in + vagifem after a few months life is worth living again.  I'm not without bladder or vag pain but it's so bearable on HRT and vagifem.  I feel so lucky to have found something that enables me to function most days and work and some days feel kind of normal and sit down.  It's been a journey and just wanted to share and say hats off to everyone experiencing problems and good luck.  If HRT helps go on it nothing is worse than uncontrollable pain.  I'm thankful to be able to sit down and not think of sleep as the highlight of the day to escape pain.  I have a new respect for the human body to dish out pain.  I've learnt that VA isn't going to go away unless someone finds a menopause cure (I wish) so I'm not going to be able to come off the HRT without the pain levels increasing to unbearable levels so it's really a choice.  There was a rude older women at the chemist counter when I got my patches who said don't take HRT so I explained to her I couldn't take the pain. You think being an older women working in health she would have  been a bit more aware.  Anyway  I hope everyone is doing o.k.  Thanks from J

Joaniepat

Re: Vaginal atrophy - HRT and vagifem only things that have helped
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »

Welcome JenJab, good to hear you have found something that works. It's always nice to hear success stories and I hope you continue to do well. There are many of us here who suffer with VA, and several who are also in Jane Lewis's Facebook support group and follow her on Instagram. She is doing a great job to raise awareness, and even pops up here occasionally (as Maryjane).

Best wishes,
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal atrophy - HRT and vagifem only things that have helped
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 05:17:22 PM »

Hi!  vagifem may be used nightly.  It is a small amount and some find that they require it every night.  Occasionally two doses the same night.

If symptoms niggle take a pain relief too, I have 3 Nurofen 3 times a day for 3 days.