Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bodyidentical oestrogen applications - query ahead of starting HRT  (Read 931 times)

KStar777

• First Flush
Bodyidentical oestrogen applications - query ahead of starting HRT
« on: September 11, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »

Hello

I will soon enter early menopause (age 41) after preventative surgery to reduce ovarian cancer risk.  I have a list of different estrogen (17-beta-estradiol) patches and I would like to know more about how the various brands/applications differ.  My consultation is soon and I would like to be able to participate in the choice to be made.

I have so far worked out (I think) that Estradot is a 4th generation patch originating from soy, Everol is similar but 3rd generation, larger and originates from yam. Other brands on the list include Estraderm, FemSeven solo, Elleste solo and Progynova TS.  I know nothing about these. 

1) How do all these patches differ and what are the relevant factors?   

2) My first choice is currently Estradot but I'm aware that global demand is currently outsripping supply and it will be some time before manufacturing is upscalled.  I'm concerned about not being able to access it. Any advice?  I would like to be able to stock up.     

3) I imagine I will be starting on a dose of around 100mcg?  I weight 50kg.  So many stories that I hear seem to be of people not on enough estrogen and that many need more than the licencing doses. Does 100mcg seem like a good starting place?

4) I gather Lenzetto spray is new to the UK.  Would there be a reason to consider a spray instead of a patch?  What factors should I consider here? 

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Taz2

Re: Bodyidentical oestrogen applications - query ahead of starting HRT
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 03:02:50 PM »

Hi Kstar77 - I just wanted to welcome you but can't answer all of your questions I'm afraid.

I wonder if you have put the patches you are trying to find out more about into the emc site. I've found Estraderm on there and it gives details of the make up of the patches and pharmacological properties etc. This is the link to Estraderm https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5839/smpc#gref I hope the site might help you discover the differences between the different products. Have you also checked out the menu at the top of the screen where the HRT preparations are listed under treatments?

I believe Lenzetto spray has been mentioned on the forum so if you put it into the search box it will bring up any posts.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with  more technical information and to welcome you.

Taz x  :welcomemm: