Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause supplements  (Read 1914 times)

Annie1210

Perimenopause supplements
« on: September 13, 2020, 07:35:33 AM »

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so please bear with me.  First of all I wondered if anyone can recommend supplements for sleep disturbances, mood swings and joint aches in what I feel is the perimenopause.
What did you guys first notice in the initial perimenopause stage?  am looking for some advice.  I am a 44 year old woman who for the past few years has been struggling with symptoms I feel are associated with hormones/perimenopause.  I saw a gynaecologist a few years ago who felt I was too young and scans, blood tests etc. proved nothing abnormal going on. I was suffering predominantly with sleep deprivation,  mood swings, bloating, joint aches and the gp at the time felt it was stress related to my stressful job and referred me for CBT.  This helped but issue remained.  Since then I have left my job and still have the same issues and absolutely no stress other than the everyday stuff.  I have started keeping a log and as I have changed gp surgeries since this I would like to approach them again.  I don't really have the money to go private but feel I may need to.  I am absolutely exhausted and whilst I thought these symptoms were attached to my monthly cycle my log shows it's not always the case.

Thanks all x

jaypo

Re: Perimenopause supplements
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 09:12:16 AM »

Hi there and welcome,firstly you're NOT too young,menopause can hit at any age,my friend was 38 when she started all the symptoms.Can you ask if your practice has a nurse or dr who is clued up on meno? All the symptoms you're stating sounds very like the usual meno symptoms.
Lack of sleep can highlight any other ailments and make them feel worse,there are lots of sleep aids out there,it's just finding the right one.
Unfortunately there is a lack of drs who know much about it all and don't even know half the symptoms,sometimes you'll find a nurse who knows more,so ask at your surgery x

Jane50

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 09:33:44 AM »

Hi Annlou,

Welcome to MM.

If you're looking for supplements to help sleep I've read magnesium is supposed to be helpful. When I first started in peri I too tried lots of supplements but really the only thing that has made a difference is HRT. Is that something you'd consider?

Also you definitely do not need to go privately. You can ask to be referred to a Menopause Clinic on the NHS, which I'm about to do and should have done ages ago tbh but hard to make decisions when you're feeling rubbish.

Peri symptoms are quite erratic and you probably won't notice any pattern to your diary. It's just unruly hormones! As Jaypo says, all your symptoms definitely sound meno.

Lots of help and support on here  :)

Annie1210

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »

Hi Both, thanks for your replies.  Yes, Jane I think I would definitely consider HRT but in fairness it hasn't been something I've looked a great deal into but feel I need to now hence joining here.

I did look at a private clinic in London and it was £350 for a consultation which hopefully I won't need to resort to.

I agree that the symptoms can mask a lot of other things but blood tests have never shown anything underlying and the fact that my periods are becoming irregular and shorter but the PMS is worse is another indicator for me.  I will at some point contact my surgery but am reluctant at the moment as I'm sure they are very busy with Covid etc and seeing a doctor is virtually impossible. 

I have heard the doctors are reluctant to prescribe HRT, is this correct?  I guess I am concerned they will misdiagnose again and put it down to stress hence the diary.  At a bit of a loss really.  I will look at supplements which can help in the meantime though,  thank you x

Jane50

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 12:17:21 PM »

Hi Annlou

Don't worry about doctors being busy. You are as entitled to help to feel better as anyone else. There's a symptom checker on here that you could print off to 'prove' you are in peri.

If HRT is what you want then put your case to the GP. I've personally not encountered reluctance to prescribe HRT once I'd reeled off all my symptoms but maybe others on here have, I'm not sure...

I think if you read up on the site about the different types of HRT you will feel more informed when you speak to GP. Don't feel you have to just put up with the symptoms as there is help out there.

Good luck

X

Foxylady

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »

Hi Annlou, Although they are a gynaecologist it doesn't necessarily follow that they are a menopause expert. Like Jaypo's friend I started with symptoms in my late 30's (37, I'm now 42!). Ended up round about the houses looking for a diagnosis, like you insomnia was a huge part of my many symptoms. Despite being in the nursing profession I was totally ignorant about Menopause. I wish I knew then what I know now, alot of what I learned on here! Find out if there is a local menopause group locally, I found one which was invaluable. Also keep a diary of your symptoms and things you try & you don't always remember when you started/tried something. (I tried so many different things over the years whilst waiting on a diagnosis as they told me I was too young). I started HRT a year last March and it has made such a difference to my life (not yet hit the sweet spot for sleep but it takes time & trying various HRT's and doses). Also the younger you are when you start peri the more important HRT is in protecting your long term health. For me it was a no brainer re quality of life now & for the future. If there are particular topics you are interested in put the word/phrase in the search box and the posts in relation to it will pop up! I wish you well & keep us posted.
The supplements I currently take are Vitamin D, magnesium, probiotic and Starpower (hair & nails multivitamin). A word of caution though it is best to research any supplements in light of your own general health, symptoms and if you take other medications. x

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 02:47:24 PM »

Hi foxy 👋 be careful with supplements,as a veggie for 28 years,I was always told we lack B12,just had a blood test done and apparently my B12 was over double what it should be,dr said don't waste your money on supplements,unless there are issues our bodies take care of themselves,I've even stopped taking my daily all in one vitamin but I am a bit concerned at my age not taking anything at all,it's a minefield isn't it? :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 03:30:31 PM »

Hi! if your diet is good then you don't need supplements. 

Get your VitD, thyroid function and anaemia levels checked.  Keeping a diary is useful.

Some GPs and many gynaecologists have little/no idea about menopause.  We should not have to pay for advice/treatment but often it's the quickest way. 

Browse round. Make notes ;-).

Do read the threads on bladder and vaginal atrophy.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry, inside and out: skin, deep in the ears nostrils, vagina, scalp.  Muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Over the counter pain relief should help.

Let us know how you get on  :welcomemm:

Foxylady

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »

Hi Jaypo!! ;) :hug:to all. x

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 05:40:15 PM »

Hello ladies.

Jaypo - I just wanted to say that vegans are told to take a vitamin  B12 supplement but if as a vegetarian you are eating eggs and dairy you may have been getting enough B12 in your diet. We are also told that we can't have too much of this vitamin in our bodies because it is water soluble and we pee out any excess. Clearly that was not the case for you!

I am not surprised that your experience has made you cautious about supplements in general

Wishing you well.

K. .

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 05:42:38 PM »

Haha trust me to be awkward   ;D I think you do pee it out but dr says it takes a very long time to get rid of excess B12 🤷‍♀️

Annie1210

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 05:54:50 PM »

Hi Annlou, Although they are a gynaecologist it doesn't necessarily follow that they are a menopause expert. Like Jaypo's friend I started with symptoms in my late 30's (37, I'm now 42!). Ended up round about the houses looking for a diagnosis, like you insomnia was a huge part of my many symptoms. Despite being in the nursing profession I was totally ignorant about Menopause. I wish I knew then what I know now, alot of what I learned on here! Find out if there is a local menopause group locally, I found one which was invaluable. Also keep a diary of your symptoms and things you try & you don't always remember when you started/tried something. (I tried so many different things over the years whilst waiting on a diagnosis as they told me I was too young). I started HRT a year last March and it has made such a difference to my life (not yet hit the sweet spot for sleep but it takes time & trying various HRT's and doses). Also the younger you are when you start peri the more important HRT is in protecting your long term health. For me it was a no brainer re quality of life now & for the future. If there are particular topics you are interested in put the word/phrase in the search box and the posts in relation to it will pop up! I wish you well & keep us posted.
The supplements I currently take are Vitamin D, magnesium, probiotic and Starpower (hair & nails multivitamin). A word of caution though it is best to research any supplements in light of your own general health, symptoms and if you take other medications. x

Thank you so much for this advice it is very helpful.  I have started keeping an online diary particularly as now my periods have gone from being 5/6 days long now down to three days. 

I will absolutely look for a local group as well and see how I get on in terms of support from my GP.

Many thanks again

Annie1210

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 05:58:03 PM »

Many thanks all for taking the time to reply and sharing your opinions.  I will also have a read through some of the threads on here and build some knowledge in this minefield hopefully!

I'll come back and post once I'm a step further in getting some support.  Best wishes x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 05:58:35 PM »

Let us know!