Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Advice re my own periods and utrogestan please  (Read 2743 times)

violetbat

Advice re my own periods and utrogestan please
« on: September 05, 2020, 05:20:47 PM »

I am hoping some wise ones here can share advice and thoughts with me.
I have been on estrogel/ utrogestan for nearly a year. I take the utrogestan vaginally 2 tabs a night for 10 days. I would mostly get a predictable good bleed each month.
Last month a had an unexpected proper period 2 weeks after the utrogestan bleed. I took the utrogestan anyway that month and just got a bit of a brown smear- as I had expected.
This month- a month after my surprise period I now have strong pmt symptoms again. I am sure my own period is about to start.
Clearly my own cycle has kicked in again.
Do I basically reset using my own cycle or just keep taking the utrogestan later this month?
Not happy as I don’t get on well with my own progesterone and then utrogestan!
Thoughts much appreciated  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice re my own periods and utrogestan please
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:24:10 PM »

Sorry, can't help but didn't want to cut and run  ::)

MayB put the product name into the search box to see what pops up?

Nik2502

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »

Hi
My own cycle has kicked in too for the past couple of months. Doctor told me not to take the progesterone until two weeks after the natural period has ended.
Hope this helps
Nik xx

violetbat

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:12:06 PM »

Hi
My own cycle has kicked in too for the past couple of months. Doctor told me not to take the progesterone until two weeks after the natural period has ended.
Hope this helps
Nik xx

Thanks- that makes sense and is what seemed the natural thing to do- to try and a sync back in with Your own cycle 🙂x

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 10:05:58 PM »

I start counting again, day 1 is the first day of the bleed. It's particularly difficult in peri when your own cycle can be variable. I can tell when I ovulate so I start utro couple of days after that, if no ovulation I wait a few more days and take it anyway. I find my own cycle is always stronger than the hrt one so I fit hrt around my own cycle, trying to fit my cycle into the hrt one just doesn't work.

Sparkler

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 08:22:34 AM »

Hi there

I have been on 12 days Utro out of 28 plus evorel 50 for about 18 months. The problem you describe is tricky and happened to me a lot. I would get a bit of brown discharge, or a period, on day 8 or 9 of the utro, then occasionally get a proper period, either towards the end of the Utro, a few days after, or randomly a week or so later. I can go months at a time with no proper bleed (my last was in May). Once or twice I tried to delay the Utro to fit back in with my cycle but it didn’t work and so I settled on taking the Utro on schedule whatever is happening with bleeds. It did improve over time.

I went to the doc who sent me for an ultrasound and then for hysteroscopy/biopsy. All was clear. The doc said that it’s just they way I am and only if I get a different type of pattern do I need to go back. It was reassuring to have the gynae show me that the inside of my uterus was smooth and unproblematic, so now I just carry on.

The only thing I would say is that 10 days of Utro is 2 less than me. You might want to ask if you shoukd go to 12 as I am sure I read somewhere that 10 is fine as long as it ‘works’. I don’t really know anything concrete but it may be worth checking.

I hope you get sorted soon. It’s unsettling when your body won’t stick to the plan!

Sparkler
X

violetbat

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 08:57:19 PM »

Thank you all so much. 10 days utrogestan Vaginally has given me a good bleed so far so I think it’s ok to stick with that?
I am loaded with my own progesterone atm - I can feel it- been very achey in my womb for about a week now but no bleed. I will start on the utrogestan this week. If I start bleeding before the end of the course I will stop taking it. Progesterone and I are not friends at the best of times. Good to hear other people’s experiences though.

0114tw

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 08:32:06 PM »

This is interesting. I am perimenopausal and have been using oestrogel and utrogestan (12 days) for about 4 months. My periods have been a bit all over the place, heavy/light/twice monthly/barely there. I have been carrying on With the regime regardless. Should I be trying to sync with 28 day cycle? 

violetbat

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »

My period did come all by itself but was very light. Since I had had a light period 2 weeks before( utrogestan withdrawal bleed) and then 2 weeks before that( my own cycle) I’m not really surprised.
I decided not to start on the utrogestan this week to try and give my body a chance to sync. Will start the tabs in 2 weeks and see if that helps.

Sparkler

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 07:41:01 PM »

I tried to sync with my own cycle but it didn’t work as I’m not regular enough to sync to! I think it has worked for some people though.
S

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 02:28:06 PM »

I think it's what works for you.

This conversation has reminded me that my whole bottom and vagina felt like it was falling out prior to a period  :-\

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 09:25:39 PM »

Sparkler, can you tell when you ovulate? If you can then start utro a couple of days later. As long as you have a proper bleed I don't think it matters if it isn't every 28 days (I have a natural 6 week cycle and lining was still thin).

violetbat

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »

I have become more and more aware of ovulation- or at least just after when my progesterone starts to rise. I feel it immediately- not nice.
I had a few months on this regime when everything seemed to sync. My periods pre HRT were pretty well every month- with the odd glitch.

Mrs Tigger

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 02:30:25 PM »

Hello Violetbat,  I am new to this forum, I have just posted on an itchy vulva thread which is another story and was just browsing when I found this thread.  I had similar problems and did not get on with any progesterone, tried the combination Estelle Duet then Femoston, I then went on to Evorel estrogen patches with Progesterone tablets for 14 out of 28 days.  I went from having sporadic 2-3 day light bleeds some months to a 10+ day heavy bleed every 4 weeks with cramps, a dragging feeling (as others have mentioned) and bloating etc.  My lovely GP (who I found by changing GP surgeries I was so desperate) booked me for a Mirena coil.  Now I use the gel for the estrogen and don't have periods (small brownish discharge for a day or so a month is all I get now).  So maybe this is a route you could talk to your GP about.  It is in for 4 years so I don't have to think about it now until 2024!

Sparkler

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 07:10:30 PM »

Hi Sheila99

I do know when I ovulate as I get a sharp pain for about 15 mins. I am wary of trying to sync because it works for that month but then not afterwards as my cycle isn’t regular at all - not really a cycle!

I became worried that I wasn’t getting enough progesterone and then a scan showed my lining was thickened (followed by more investigations - all clear in the end). I sleep really well on the utrogestan so now I just take it 12 days out of 28 and take whatever comes. I haven’t had a ‘proper’ bleed since the end of May now. Hard to know whether it’s a concern or not but taking the utrogestan as prescribed makes me feel like I am less risky somehow.

Sparkler
Pages: [1] 2