Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Fluoxetine for Flushes??  (Read 1271 times)

Tina1957

Fluoxetine for Flushes??
« on: September 02, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »

Hi Ladies
I have had to come off my HRT Duavive due to it being discontinued and am unable to take any other HRT due to my severe intolerance to Progesterone.

Really struggling with Hot Flushes at the moment and so my GP has given me a prescription for Fluoxetine, which she says is quite successful for a lot of women.

Have any ladies here used Fluoxetine for flushes and found it helpful?

Tina xx

Foxylady

Re: Fluoxetine for Flushes??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 05:55:24 PM »

Hi Tina, I was started on Fluoxetine for flushes a week pior to starting HRT so it's difficult to say how beneficial it has been. Still flushing, although not as bad and on higher dose HRT. I think it's worth a try especially if you aren't able to tolerate HRT. All the best, keep us updated. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 05:58:07 PM »

What's to lose ?  Let us know ;-)

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 12:15:04 PM »

Hello Tina.

I have mentioned before on the forum that I was prescribed an AD for meno symptoms and I was told it would reduce night sweats but I also began HRT at the same time. In all honesty my flushes and night sweats were never that bad however one night I was noticeably more sweaty and in the morning I realised I had forgotten to take my AD before bed as usual. From this experience I concluded that the drug had infact been helping.

Wishing you well.

K.

racjen

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 05:41:46 PM »

I think you need to be careful using ADs to control physical menopausal symptoms - in my experience it really isn't that simple, and NICE guidelines don't recommend it either. ADs have complex effects on the way your brain regulates moods and aren't appropriate for hormonal problems unless all else really has failed. Some people tolerate ADs with no problem whatsoever, others have severe problems with them. As someone in the latter category I'd say - just be be careful, this isn't a drug which only affects you physically, you could be starting down a very difficult route where mental and physical health get dangerously blurred.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 07:11:05 PM »

Tina wrote: I have had to come off my HRT Duavive due to it being discontinued and am unable to take any other HRT due to my severe intolerance to Progesterone.

It is known that Fluoxetine helps with hot flushes which has been prescribed by a GP.  Give it 5-6 months and review and keep a mood/food/syptom diary?