Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Switch from oestrogel to Estradot  (Read 1665 times)

Nas

Switch from oestrogel to Estradot
« on: August 31, 2020, 09:02:29 AM »

I made the switch from 3.5 pumps of oestrogel, to Estradot 75 last Thursday. Experiencing some period type cramps and nausea and a general off colour feeling. Could this be my body adjusting to the new delivery method? I was wondering whether I  should cut the patch in half and ease in slowly? I’m still taking 100 continuous utrogestan.

I just want to feel well.

What do you think?

Jeepers

Re: Switch from oestrogel to Estradot
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »

Hi nas

Sorry, I can’t help you with the transition, as I’ve iNever had gel. However, a please may I ask you why you have switched? I’ve been wondering about changing as I can rarely get oestrogel, and oestrodose doesn’t seem to work properly for me

Thanks

Jeepers xx

Nas

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »

Hi jeepers
Yes, I was on the gel for a year. Wasn’t absorbing well and still have very low oestrogel levels. So, thought the patch may deliver more consistently. However the way I’m feeling today, I feel like giving up HRT completely!

Good luck x

westie

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 06:06:08 PM »

Hi Nas

I have done the same switch as you for the same reasons. I have just come up to the end of my first month on Estradot 75. I felt rubbish for the first 10/14 days, didn’t have cramps but felt sick , brain fog and really tired and achy. Anyway, last two weeks have gradually started to feel better and I just realised today that I actually feel quite good. So try and persevere.... they say to give it 3 months which I know is hard when you are feeling rubbish.

Good luck

W xx

Nas

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 07:32:07 PM »

Thanks Westie, you have given me the motivation to persevere!
Just feel feeling very out of sorts and thinking a bleed is on its way! Really hope not as haven’t had a period in two years.

Going to carry on and hope all this lifts soon!

Thank again

Nas x

Salad

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 09:27:55 PM »

I went from using 4-6 pumps of Oestrogel to only needing a 75 mcg patch when I first changed to patches.
You could try a lower dose for a couple of weeks to see how you feel  :)

Sammiejane

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 05:31:50 PM »

hi

i’m looking to change to a patch as getting lots of hairloss on the gel would it be wise to stop hrt gel to let hair settle before commencing patch or does it not matter and can change over straight away

as i guess if it’s the gel causing hairloss then it should stop after couple of months of stopping the gel even if i’m on the patch ?

Nas

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 06:28:11 PM »

Salad, was that because you weren’t absorbing the gel that you switched to the patch? I really don’t know what dose to go on, these period type pains are getting on my nerves now and it’s only day 5 ! Did you experience  any any effects from the patch at all? 

Sammie, I don’t know about hair loss on the gel, I thought oestrogen was good for hair?

Salad

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 10:25:43 PM »

Salad, was that because you weren’t absorbing the gel that you switched to the patch? I really don’t know what dose to go on, these period type pains are getting on my nerves now and it’s only day 5 ! Did you experience  any any effects from the patch at all? 

Yes, I absorbed it too quickly so my level would go sky high then plummet leaving me with a breakthrough of symptoms.
I started on a 100 mcg patch but reduced it to 75 mcg as I had breast tenderness - my symptom for having too much Oestrogen.
I’d probably give it a couple of weeks before changing if you’re not sure if your dose is too high or too low. It’s such a juggling act  ::)

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 04:41:37 PM »

Hi Nas,
I've also just started on Estradot 25mg patches 2 weeks ago on Dr Currie's email advice, after being on 2 pumps gel for the past year. (plus oral Utrogestan 100mg daily, as am age 63 and didn't want a bleed...)

I hadn't seen much improvement in my wellbeing over the past year apart from reducing the hot flushes,... the rest of the horrible symptoms such as bad anxiety, reflux, joint aches, mood and VA (yes, am on Vagifem too) haven't really improved much at all, still waiting for the miracle!! Dr Currie said maybe I wasn't absorbing the gel so suggested trying a patch.
But not sure if the Utrogestan has made my reflux worse over the year?? ENT have said last week that my hoarse voice is due to acid reflux and am now being treated for that with Omeprazole and Gaviscon advance.

I have felt this last 2 weeks what I can only describe as "weird", ... a bit shaky, tired, anxious, hot flushes still just in a morning and have now got breast tenderness too. Now wondering if the dose is too low but have been told to try it for 3 months.

My original consultation with my local Meno clinic last September suggested FemSeven conti, so I can't wait to be able to try those when they are available at the end of this year. (if that actually happens!!) I would like to go totally transdermal and see if that makes any difference.

Am fed up to be still struggling to find the right dose and regime - it would appear so many others are in the same boat after reading so many comments on here.
Should we bother keep trying or just say "sod it" and stop altogether for a bit to see what happens??!!

Nas

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 07:42:12 PM »

Hi Julia,
Sorry to hear you are suffering too, it’s not nice.
It is possible that you were not absorbing the gel, I was on 4/5 pumps for about a year, but most symptoms stuck around other than than the flushes. I’m on 75 Estradot now and hoping for a miracle! I didn’t take the utrogestan last night and the pains have been  a lot less today. I think utrogestan has a lot to answer for! But I’m not sure whether it would aggravate your acid reflux ?

Two weeks is a relatively short while to know if the patch is working or not. You are also on a low dose. I feel the same as you on the 75. They do say to give it 3 months so I think we need to see it through, hard as it is.

Like you, I’m sick of not feeling right, but it’s so common and probably more common then we think sadly.

Did Dr Currie not suggest increasing your dose of gel before trialing the patch. Some ladies are on huge doses of gel. I was finding the gel a nuisance, having to wait for it to dry etc, so really want the patch to work! I’m going to give it two months, if any hot flushes appear, then I’m going to ask to go up a dose.

Best of luck.
I feel your frustration!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:45:36 PM by Nas »

CherrySG

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 06:05:29 AM »

Julia, I had acid reflux before starting Utrogestan, but when I took it, the reflux was so bad the doctor suggested a biopsy! So I went on Provera and it's back to manageable levels, although oestradiol in patch or gel form hits the serotonin receptors (IIRC) and causes reflux somewhat also.

I couldn't take Utrogestan even vaginally for this reason, so hopefully starting Femseven will help.

Omeprazole didn't work for me, I take Lansoprazole - if the current PPI doesn't work, sometimes a different one does.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 06:30:15 AM by CherrySG »

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 12:57:46 PM »

Thank you ladies, I have decided to have a trial HRT break until FemSeven are available and see how I go on. The dreaded hot flushes will no doubt come back but will give it a go. I've been told in the past I'm probably one of the unlucky ones who will always have them! Most unfair!! And I have tried every supplement under the sun for them in the past - and spent a fortune.

So many ladies don't tolerate the Utrogestan too from all the comments about it on here. I tried vaginally but was a bit too messy for my liking.

I found slathering on the gel a bit of a pain, even went to 3 pumps for a while but no difference.  I like the convenience of a patch and it didn't irritate my skin and stuck very well.

Interesting about the PPI CherrySG, my GP has never said try a different one? Should I ask?

Nas I wish you well with your patch too! I'm going to email my Meno clinic (no appointments any more yet..) when the patches are back in production and ask if I can try those.
Those women who sail through the change are so flippin lucky!!