Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vaginal dryness help- 21 year old  (Read 1500 times)

citygirl2

• First Flush
Vaginal dryness help- 21 year old
« on: August 29, 2020, 03:37:37 PM »

I am 21 years old and suffer with vaginal dryness. I want to ask the menopausal ladies what medication the doctors can prescribe you/ anything other solutions. I want a something that makes me ‘wet’ and stay wet during sex. I feel like only being 21 means you aren’t taken seriously or given options at appointments. My vagina isn’t sore so I don’t need anything that moistures dry skin (I have been prescribed dermol cream but it didn’t help).

I have tried vagisil prohydrate tubes but they gave me thrush after each time I used them (plus they are expensive!) Canestan vaginal moisturiser also gave me thrush.

I’ve not always had this issue but with my long term boyfriend I was on a variety of contraceptives, i am super sensitive to hormones and I believe that they caused it. I am off the pill and have been for a year now but the problem still remains.

As you can imagine it knocks my confidence to have sex with people as I have to use lube and I find it awkward to say this/ get the lube out and put it on.

This isn’t a problem that I’m not aroused during sex, as I definitely am and still can’t get wet/ if I do I don’t retain it.

Please ladies give me some hope and list medical treatments that worked for you so I can discuss with my GP. Currently I know little of medications available so I can't discuss with them.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal dryness help- 21 year old
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 03:50:55 PM »

Hi!  get your partner to apply the lubricant, that's what we have done [45 years married ;-)]. 

Ask your GP for appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment.  Do read our threads on VA and bladder issues.  The idea is to insert it every night for 2 weeks then as necessary: initially every 3/4th night and 5/6th but some require treatment nightly.  It really does depend as we are all individual.

Condoms can cause dryness too which is why KY Jelly can be applied to the rubber once it's on safely.  Building confidence in bed should be
fun ;-) .  Don't be fobbed off by being told you are too young!  You don't need blood tests nor a personal examination for either Vagifem or Ovestin.  VA is due to low oestrogen levels in peri-menopause - how do you feel over-all?

Let us know how you get on!

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 05:25:55 PM »

Sylk? ITs not too expensive either

Alicess

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 06:51:51 PM »

Hi citygirl2,

I had the same problem when I was your age and on birth control pills. Birth control pills can lower testosterone by raising SHBG ( sex hormone-
binding globuline) .  It's possible high SHBG causes this because it's decreasing your free testosterone and maybe your free estrogen too.
Even when you' ve stopped BCP's SHBG can remain high.

You could take a blood test to measure your free androgen index; testosterone, SHBG and free testosterone. I would also check your estrogen levels, just to be sure..

You can Google SHBG and birth control pills, I'm sure something will come up..

Alicess 🌷

citygirl2

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 09:49:47 PM »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will explore all of what has been suggested and let you know how I get on!

Jenna

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 09:05:24 AM »

Hi citygirl2 - there is lots of information on this website:

https://www.yesyesyes.org/vaginal-dryness/

I really hope this will help you.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 09:10:25 AM »

Tnx Jenna had forgotten about yes [and sylc].  No mention in the list of the urine infection-type symptoms that accompany atrophy.  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there, with a constant need to pee.  Initially thought to be infection, ABs certainly improved symptoms.  However, urine samples sent to a Lab. showed no growth = no infection so my GP prescribed appropriate treatment. 

The cause is a lack of oestrogen and YES products, although easing symptoms of dryness, won't replace oestrogen loss. It really is about managing the feelings so that the vaginal area is supple and comfy.  Let us know how you get on.

Jenna

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 09:50:04 AM »

But citygirl2 doesn't mention pain, CLKD. She says:

"I want a something that makes me ‘wet’ and stay wet during sex. I feel like only being 21 means you aren’t taken seriously or given options at appointments. My vagina isn’t sore."

Daily use of Yes water-based (plus additional applications prior to sex - so only you need know about this) could be all that's needed to solve the problem. Anyway, all the information is in the link and you can download a free guide as well.

Sammiejane

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 09:59:57 AM »

hi ladies

that’s very interesting it’s mentioned the pill can lower testosterone and raise shbg because i’m on hrt estrogen prog and tesosterone and the higher my testosterone level goes so does shbg ?

maybe i’m just weird but noticed it on my blood work

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 11:01:54 AM »

I didn't have pain initially  ::).  Years B4 dryness caused problems.

citygirl2

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 10:18:08 PM »

Thanks for the new info every one.

For people who have used the products, which out of Sylk and YES do you recommend?

Alicess

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 05:19:56 AM »

Sammiejane,

Estrogen raises SHBG, testosterone lowers SHBG. The estrogen in birthcontrol, ethinylestradiol, is very potent and raises SHBG significantly but it is not bound by SHBG so more free estrogen. Estradiol in HRT is less potent but is bound by SHBG so less free estrogen.
Testosterone is bound by SHBG even more so. High SHBG means low free testosterone.

Alicess
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:56:35 AM by Alicess »

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 08:26:23 AM »

The Sylk is just a small bottle of gel,you don't need a lot  :o

Jenna

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 08:34:01 AM »

Thanks for the new info every one.

For people who have used the products, which out of Sylk and YES do you recommend?

I use Yes water-based and have done for years. Sylk irritates me! If you contact the companies, they will send you some free samples, so that is always helpful!  :)