Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Got an appointment for Hysteroscopy..  (Read 2331 times)

Pumpkin55

Re: Got an appointment for Hysteroscopy..
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 07:38:02 PM »

Hi Brit66 it's best to take the painkillers an hour before as it can cause cramping during and sometimes after. No, I didn't choose not to have anything, it was my consultant's choice and turned out to be a good one! Nb as a comparison I have found colonoscopies excruciatingly painful. With this I felt absolutely no discomfort at all.  I do think it can depend on the skill of the person doing it tbh. And also, obviously, if they have to remove any polyps or take a biopsy. None of that was needed in my case.

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 08:34:57 PM »

Hi Pumpkin. Brit66 is having either a GA or spinal anaesthesia. Sounds like you had a fab consultant for your procedure.

Taz x  :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 01:35:59 PM by Taz2 »

Brit66

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 10:44:12 AM »

Hi Brit66 it's best to take the painkillers an hour before as it can cause cramping during and sometimes after. No, I didn't choose not to have anything, it was my consultant's choice and turned out to be a good one! Nb as a comparison I have found colonoscopies excruciatingly painful. With this I felt absolutely no discomfort at all.  I do think it can depend on the skill of the person doing it tbh. And also, obviously, if they have to remove any polyps or take a biopsy. None of that was needed in my case.

Ah I see, thanks. I agree, the care and skill of the consultant is a big factor. Glad yours was straightforward,  hoping same for me

Grheliz1

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 02:54:48 PM »

:)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 04:20:42 PM »

My health authority give you paracetamol / ibprofen when you go in before they do the pelvic scan, hysteroscopy and biopsy (if needed).

Brit66

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 06:29:01 AM »

I think you will feel a pinching if they are taking a biopsy of the lining so you need to take painkillers before to give them a chance to work.

Taz x

Taz, did the hospital suggest you took the painkillers or did you know to do this? I don't think mine will be happening with any anaesthetic but because I have a retroverted uterus, which caused some problems with my ultrasound scan, I am keen to be prepared!

I just looked at the NHS site and they advise taking paracetamol an hour before :)

Brit66

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 03:43:32 AM »

Update* I had my procedure yesterday. I had to go into hospital early and was a bit nervous but relieved that the day had finally come. I asked about having the spinal instead of the GA, as discussed on the pre-admission appointment and was told that it was an option if I wanted it. But when I got to the operating theatre and discussed it with the anaesthetist, who was just really lovely and empathetic, she told me that the spinal would take 8 hours to get over, much longer than a GA.  She also said that as much as i was nervous in this moment, that it would all be worth it and that I needed this, and she was so right of course snd she boosted my courage. So I just opted for the latter. It was only a 15 min procedure but when I came round in recovery,  it was just a little over 2 hours later,  but there had been no problems. 
I went back to the ward and soon after, the surgeon came to see me with photos of my womb. They said that my womb looked healthy and that it had all gone well. They'd taken a sample of the lining and inserted the coil. He said that the coil was a great option for heavy periods and that it was a very low dose option of progesterone which stayed within the womb, rather than flooded the whole body. I have had the mirena before, years ago,  and I had no problems whatsoever,  so hopefully this will be my experience now too. I will rest over the weekend and then go to my GP on Monday for the necessary estrogen gel/patch component and also I may need vaginal estrogen for what the surgeon described as dryness/atrophy.
Post op, I went home at dinnertime.I had very minimal cramps, and light bleeding  nothing like a period, and apart from waking frequently during the night, which is one of my major symptoms,  I feel fine.
So, I'm really hoping that things will improve for me now. I have been reluctant to try HRT for years but now I've taken the plunge finally, im going to go for it 100pc. Honestly, I shouldn't have wasted time procrastinating while suffering, and I feel like a huge mental block has been lifted now and im excited about starting to feel better.  Now obviously, problems may come up but I'm going to resolve them quickly and effectively in conjunction with my GP if they do. But guess what-they might not and it might go really well now! And that's what I'm going to hold on to, that there is an HRT solution that I will get along perfectly well with :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 03:45:36 AM by Brit66 »

shrosphirelass

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2020, 12:04:46 PM »

Glad it all went well and good luck getting your results back

Brit66

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2020, 01:06:55 PM »

Thank you! Im honestly not worried too much about the results because even if I did have precancerous changes, that is easily taken care of according to the consultant. Just glad to be feeling better and to be on the hrt journey for real :)
Pages: 1 [2]