Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena and.....?  (Read 817 times)

CrispyChick

Mirena and.....?
« on: August 28, 2020, 09:56:24 AM »

So, I'm getting to the point of trying hrt.

I'm 44 and tried lots of different COC and getting bad side effects with all. Meno clinic suggested mirena and estrogen as hrt.....

So what type of estrogen do you use if have a mirena? Is it gel???

Also, I've noticed those peri woman on tablet hrt get a period, but surely with mirena there will be no period??? I certainly had no periods on the mini pill...

Tinkerbell

Re: Mirena and.....?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 01:54:21 PM »

I started with an Estradot patch with my Mirena and then changed to Estrogel.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 04:48:50 PM »

You can use anything that's oestrogen only. Transdermal (patch or gel) is thought to be safer than oral. Many women are on a sequential regime in peri so have progesterone for 12/14 days followed by a bleed. The mirena has a higher continuous dose and will normally prevent bleeding.

scrubdub

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 07:15:23 AM »

I've had the mirena about 16 months now. I started on patches then the gel - now it's whatever the chemist can get! I started with peri symptoms at 43
My periods are lighter but haven't stopped.
A lot of the female gps I work with all have mirena coils and use the gel or patches. If they are using that then its good enough for me.
I still have anxiety issues- I was on Sertraline for 14 months but weaned off it as I felt it wasn't really doing anything but I feel that I may have to see my GP again if this gets worse- for now its manageable.
Think what puts people off is the fitting of it -I had mine done under Sedation so didn't know too much about it. A bit of cramp afterwards but was fine the next day.
Hope that puts your mind at rest.
S

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 07:42:56 AM »

Thank you. Very helpful.

Is there a different type of progesterone I could try to start with alongside estrogen gel??? Or can you only take take tablet prog alongside tablet estrogen?

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 08:19:31 AM »

Many people use utrogeston vaginally. It isn't licensed for use this way in the UK but it is in the rest of Europe (and your gp isn't watching  ;))