Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Horrendous Smear  (Read 1691 times)

sueyvern

• First Flush
Horrendous Smear
« on: August 28, 2020, 08:13:53 PM »

60 years old done the majority of the menopause naturally as the 1 time I asked about HRT I was told no. Not sexually active, 5ft 10 with a tilted back womb. Yesterday I went for my smear. Been a little uncomfy in the past but yesterdays was awful. Extremely painful, 3 tries and they dont know if they have enough cells. I am sore and humiliated and kept apologising. I cannot go through this again without some medicinal help but maybe I'm too old and have to put up with it. I suspect atrophy but dont know what if anything the Dr can or would be willing to do.
Anyone else suffer, or am I the only abnormal one?
On a lighter note last one YES!!! Cos without help I won't be re-attending

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Horrendous Smear
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 09:26:40 PM »

Give your surgery a ring this week and ask for appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment.  Do read our threads here about atrophy and bladder issues.  Make notes  ;).  You don't need blood or personal investigations.

It still amazes me that practitioners trying to take smears from women with difficulty don't put 2 and 2 together!! and suggest atrophy treatment.   >:(

I wouldn't be going again.  I think after a certain age we have to request it anyway  :-\

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 09:43:00 PM »

60 years old done the majority of the menopause naturally as the 1 time I asked about HRT I was told no. Not sexually active, 5ft 10 with a tilted back womb. Yesterday I went for my smear. Been a little uncomfy in the past but yesterdays was awful. Extremely painful, 3 tries and they dont know if they have enough cells. I am sore and humiliated and kept apologising. I cannot go through this again without some medicinal help but maybe I'm too old and have to put up with it. I suspect atrophy but dont know what if anything the Dr can or would be willing to do.
Anyone else suffer, or am I the only abnormal one?
On a lighter note last one YES!!! Cos without help I won't be re-attending

You may not need to have another one.  They have started to check for virus that causes cervical cancer, and if you test negative that's it, no more smears.

I had my very last one about 18 months ago.

Did you get an information letter beforehand?

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 05:35:43 AM »

I'm appalled you've been put through this ordeal, but sadly not surprised. You need to start Vagifem or Ovestin as soon as possible before the atrophy causes any other problems. Why were you told no to HRT?
JP x

sueyvern

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 06:06:04 AM »

Thank you ladies.  About 8 years ago it was a blanket No to HRT and as I managed I didnt push it. At the Test I asked for a small speculum but also a No. Honestly never want to have another. I'll try the docs see what they can do. I have been using a non hormonal moisturiser but obviously it's not enough. What I thought I had to put up with seems from what you're saying to be fairly common. I'll have a look at the threads and let you know how I get on. Thank you you have made me feel normal

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 07:39:42 AM »

As there are many ways of administering the various types of HRT why not have a chat with your GP/Practice Nurse?  Take a list of how you feel however, there may be lack of knowledge or resistance  ::).  If so, ask for a referral to a Menopause Clinic.  Not a Gyane as they often don't know much more than GPs.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 09:52:18 AM »

Hello sueyvern and welcome to the forum.

Where I live the last age for a routine smear is 62. We have one particularly vigorous nurse at our practice and  my friend  developed a UTI after seeing her. This procedure was never a problem for me in the past but my last smear was very unpleasant so I'm pleased that I'm past the age for recall!

Take care.

K.

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 11:28:59 AM »

It is ridiculous that they still go all out for cell sampling when for most women they will do an HPV test on it and that is it. 

I have been following the minutes of the National Screening Committee for years and the process for change is mindnumbingly slow.  There are HPV self-testing systems around but they are only contemplating them for persistent no shows and it will take them some time to set up trials and process the results.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 02:51:28 PM »

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. You should not be the one apologising, they should. Vagifem is really easy to use and most people seem to get on really well with it. Your GP should be encouraging you to take it and if they prove obstructive ask to see someone else.