Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mirena versus conti  (Read 701 times)

Jane50

Mirena versus conti
« on: August 27, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »

Hi all,
Struggling at the mo.  :'( I'm fed up of all the mental energy it requires to function with peri symptoms. Also fed up of feeling like a HRT guinea pig, trying this and that and never really getting relief from symptoms. >:(

My gynae has recommended the Mirena to help symptoms of adenomyosis. At the moment I'm on 5 pumps oestrogel and 200mg utrogestan vaginally for 14 days. I'm  51 and have  been on 3 different regimes over the last 20 months. Over the last couple of months I've had major recurrence of insomnia, hot flushes, night sweats and anxiety. What is going on???!!

Due to increased anxiety I'm nervous of having Merina fitted and experimenting with yet ANOTHER regime that may or may not work.

What I'm wondering is, if the Mirena  delivers steady daily amount of progesterone what's the difference between that and switching to a conti regime to eliminate bleeding?

My brain (and body!) is frazzled with all this. Any advice very much appreciated x

Hurdity

Re: Mirena versus conti
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »

Hi Jane 50 - your post got missed but maybe you also asked it elsewhere and had an answer? I haven't been on the forum for a while.

Anyway if not - the thing about the Mirena is that it delivers a HIGH dose of progestogen directly to the uterus so if it's a question of sorting out a problem at the site of the uterus itself - this would be better than an ordinary conti regime which is just designed for post-menopausal women and the dose is just sufficient to protect the uterus from that particular dose of oestrogen. If you're needing to take higher doses of oestrogen then the Mirena will give you better protection. I'm not familiar with adenomyosis but perhaps is oestrogen fed in which case the Mirena would be better.

Having said that - if you are still getting flushes and sweats with 5 pumps of gel it implies you're not absorbing it unless there are other causes for your flushes? Have you never had relief from flushes and sweats with any of the other regimes you've tried? What have you tried and how long have you given each regime before deciding it doesn't work? Ideally it should be 3 months minimum although for flushes and sweats, transdermal HRT usualy works well before this time.

There are lots of women on here who have had great success with the Mirena so do give it careful consideration.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Jane50

Re: Mirena versus conti
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 09:37:17 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

Thanks so much for replying.

I started on patches which worked brilliantly initially but symptoms returned after 6 months. Got put on tablets and gave that 3 months but anxiety became unbearable. Referred to gynae and was put on oestrogel 2 pumps and utro 200mg. It took a while but worst of the symptoms subsided but I have been steadily having to increase oestrogel to keep on top of symptoms and have been OK on 4 pumps.

About 3 months ago gynae increased my utro to 300mg due to heavy bleeds and since then hot flushes, night sweats, anxiety, brain fog and insomnia have returned so I have increased to 5 pumps.

I have had a few months relief from these prior to messing around with the utro.

Don't know whether to change oestrogen or keep going with 5 pumps. Do I need to wait yet again for the utro to settle? Still not keen on the Mirena but feel backed into a corner...

Can I take 100mg utro every day with 3 day break as an option?

I just want something to work! Feeling very frustrated.

X