Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Surges adrenaline/Cortisol type feelings  (Read 3462 times)

Percy

• First Flush
Surges adrenaline/Cortisol type feelings
« on: July 31, 2020, 10:30:16 AM »

I am 61 years old been on hrt since I was 47. Everol Conti suited me well, I felt fit, well ,loads of energy, slept well no problems at all  until about 9 months ago when things started to go wrong.i have been experiencing surges or rushes of adrenaline, these occur throughout the day and often extreme on waking. It feels like the delivery if the HRT is no longer smooth, like there’s breaks or dips in delivery where my whole system is jarred. It is so unpleasant and having a huge impact on my life. My Gp ordered a range of hormonal blood tests and they all came back as normal. I also did a 24 hr urine collection, that too was normal. She changed my HRT to an equivalent some 2 and a half months ago, I am now on I daily sachet Sandrena gel and utrogesten 100mg oral x1 daily. For the first couple of weeks things seemed to improve but now it’s almost back to the same problem but now
I have new problems added, no longer sleeping and huge night sweats. She says we have to give it the full 3 months before we look at things again but I feel it’s unlikely things will change now. I am so So worn down by this. Has anyone else had this type of problem.?
Thanks,
Jo.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Surges adrenaline/Cortisol type feelings
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 11:12:23 AM »

Sometimes our ovaries have a party which can upset any HRT regime  >:(

Cortisol surges woke me in the early hours leaving me terrified and in deep despair.  I have never required HRT other than for vaginal atrophy as my GP gave me anti-anxiety medication which works.

How's your diet overall?  Eating small meals regularly can ease adrenaline surges.

KarineT

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 01:50:48 PM »

I am 61 years old been on hrt since I was 47. Everol Conti suited me well, I felt fit, well ,loads of energy, slept well no problems at all  until about 9 months ago when things started to go wrong.i have been experiencing surges or rushes of adrenaline, these occur throughout the day and often extreme on waking. It feels like the delivery if the HRT is no longer smooth, like there’s breaks or dips in delivery where my whole system is jarred. It is so unpleasant and having a huge impact on my life. My Gp ordered a range of hormonal blood tests and they all came back as normal. I also did a 24 hr urine collection, that too was normal. She changed my HRT to an equivalent some 2 and a half months ago, I am now on I daily sachet Sandrena gel and utrogesten 100mg oral x1 daily. For the first couple of weeks things seemed to improve but now it’s almost back to the same problem but now
I have new problems added, no longer sleeping and huge night sweats. She says we have to give it the full 3 months before we look at things again but I feel it’s unlikely things will change now. I am so So worn down by this. Has anyone else had this type of problem.?
Thanks,
Jo.

Hi Jo,

Does it feel like anxiety is kicking in?  I've woken up in the middle of the night before, feeling suddenly anxious and on a few occasions I've felt jittery.  I am perimenopausal and not on HRT though.  If you've been on HRT and it worked for you, why did it stopped working?  I would have thought that once a lady finds a type of HRT that works then there should not be any problems but I may be wrong because I don't know much about HRT.

Karine

Percy

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 01:52:52 PM »

Hi,
My HRT was great for years so I don’t know why it’s gone wrong now.
My diet is okay, though I don’t have a great appetite. This ‘anxiety ‘thing is very strange cos it’s like having an extreme rush or surge of what feels like adrenaline that is purely physical. I have resisted naming the feelings I get as anxiety as I always felt that was attached to thoughts as well and mine isn’t. All my hormonal blood test are normal which is very frustrating.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 07:31:33 PM »

Nope.  Anxiety is a reaction to fight/flight. An automatic response.

A therapist asked me years ago "What do you think about B4 a panic attack?" well actually, nowt.  It's a physical response.  I walked out when she insisted that I had to have a 'thought process to trigger the anxiety'. 

I have stood in situations that could trigger anxiety waiting for it to happen.  And it didn't.

Adrenaline rush for me is like hot water in my veins, scared the jeeeberers first time it happened. 

Baby

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 05:59:30 PM »

CLKD I totally agree with you about the surges. Before meno certain things in life would give me anxiety but not  like it is now. Everything gives me anxiety. And I have the same hot water feeling in my veins

warwick01

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 08:01:34 AM »

Hi Percy

I too am 61 :-\ suffered lots of issues in the past during peri most disturbing dizziness/light-headedness daily which impacted on my confidence also other symptoms. However recently I have the adrenalin surges and hit me throughout the day usually accompanied by irrational thoughts. These come for no apparent reason but I feel them in the pit of my stomach sometimes followed by feeling very hot. I have increased my Oestrogel to 2,5 pumps per day to see if it helps.

I really can't see an end to this menopause for me >:(

Treehouse1

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 07:11:46 PM »

I have had these rotten surges for about 6 years now. I have just restarted hrt....3 weeks in but unfortunately no difference. I cant understand how they have such an effect. I feel i have lost my real self and have been replaced by mavis riley from coronation street!

AG

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 07:17:52 PM »

Hi,
I have been having problems with this on and off and recent insomnia but found that having a small amount of magnesium when waking gets me back to sleep and after a good night's sleep I feel "almost normal". The whole peri/meno thing is an awful mix but a low dose of magnesium (with some B vitamins) may also help. All the best, AG

Baby

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 09:40:45 PM »

Oh Treehouse you have made me laugh with the Mavis thing. I know what you mean though. It's been going on since February 2019 for me. I have an image of all of us Mavises meeting up and it has made me chuckle x

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 01:48:30 PM »

Hello ladies.

I am almost 64 and very post meno. Earlier in my meno journey I had awful adrenaline surges that would happen as I opened my eyes in the morning. The horrible feelings would run up and down my body as I lay in bed. They could also appear if I was taking a nap which caused me to wake up with a start.

I still have mini surges of anxiety and troublesome mood swings through the day  but the intense adrenaline surges are a thing of the past fortunately so it seems they do stop eventually. I am not on HRT at the moment and  hoping that my hormones will naturally balance out soon. Fingers crossed.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I sympathise with anyone experiencing these horrible sensations.

Take care everyone.

K.