Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Progesterone dominance?  (Read 727 times)

honeyblossom

Progesterone dominance?
« on: August 27, 2020, 12:57:23 PM »

I was wondering if it’s a thing?
My hot flushes have been controlled on 100mcg evorel or 4 pumps of gel for two years.
2 weeks ago I was brow beaten into trying Mirena by a gynae. ( how gave me a second degree perineal tear  putting it in but that another story)
I’ve started having hot flushes after about 3 days of Mirena ( as well as spinning, nausea, bloating ) could the damn thing be responsible for the flushes? If so would it a case of increasing the estrogen to restore the balance? I really have no faith in asking the gynae as he appears to not understand hrt at all

Jane50

Re: Progesterone dominance?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »

Hi,
Not sure I can offer advice but just to say I am in a similar position. I increased my progesterone on gynae advice about 3 months ago and since then hot flushes, night sweats, insomnia and anxiety all reared their ugly little heads again. I believe progesterone can interfere with oestrogen receptors so it feels like oestrogen not working. Hence I increased from 4 to 5 pumps oestrogel but not noticed any great improvement yet... I'm also being pushed towards the Mirena now (feel like a human pinball!) although after your comment on your tear, I'm having second thoughts!  And I can definitely do without upsetting what little balance I have any further. If Boris Johnson had to put up with these kinds of issues, menopause would be sorted once and for all! What progesterone were you on initially? Why did you have to change to Mirena?

honeyblossom

Re: Progesterone dominance?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 02:52:45 PM »

Hi there. Your symptoms sound very similar. I’ve been on everyone known to man! The last 2 years I was in crinone and everol patch but I had hyperplasia and bleeding. I really struggle with progesterones.  I’ve just had The Mirena in under GA as I was having a d and c. So far it’s not great.
I wonder if the progesterone fills the receptors so the estrogen can’t bind to it so maybe increasing it won’t help? It’s a bit pointless if we have the symptoms anyway may as well not bother!
I think girls should learn about menopause at school they should have classes every week about girl stuff. From period constipation and thrush right through to vqginal atrophy. It’s ridiculous I was clueless and mine started at 30!