Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Struggling but don't want HRT  (Read 1479 times)

Shaz7172

• First Flush
Struggling but don't want HRT
« on: August 25, 2020, 08:52:07 AM »

Hi i am 49 and have taken various herbal supplements inc agnus castus, black cohosh, menopace. Agnus castus was great for 3 months I felt much better no night sweats and mood lifted to the extent people noticed. However, I was advised to take a break so I did.  Since then I went back on it and just continuely spotted. Gutted because it was great. So now on black cohosh but its doing nothing for night sweats or my mood.  Can anyone advise please? Don't want HRT because everytime I have tried the pill I have been ill

CrispyChick

Re: Struggling but don't want HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 12:00:40 PM »

Hi. I'm sorry I have no advice, but I am interested in what you say.

I'm on my 6th pill trial... They all make me ill. I'm 44. 2 years ago I took agnus castus for 3 months and, like you, it was amazing, but I stopped because I was getting severe migraines and wasn't sure if connected, or not.

Can I ask why u were advised to have a break from it??? Is it worth persevering for longer with it???

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 06:13:28 PM »

Hello Shaz7172 and welcome to the forum.

If you want to pursue the supplements route we have an alternatives section that you may want to look at.

I sympathise with not wanting to try HRT especially as you had a bad experience with the pill. There are however many types available so maybe worth considering for the future plus the knowledgeable ladies here could help and support you.

Wishing you well.

K.

sueyvern

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 07:43:34 PM »

Hello I am 60 and did the menopause au natural as I was refused HRT. It started at 53 and still a bit now. Dont get me wrong it's not easy. I did high strength vitamin E and Sage took the edge off. I also swam as it lifted my mood.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 09:28:56 PM »

Peri-menopause is natural leading to menopause - the last monthly period. 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress. Which symptom would you like to ease first?  Some find that any benefit from alternatives goes away once hormones begin waxing and waning.  Good diet with plenty of dairy if you can tolerate it and fruits/veg is important, gentle exercise - we have threads on that too  8) ........... browse round.

:welcomemm:

Shaz7172

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 06:49:45 AM »

I was told to not take agnus castus for longer than 3-4 months due to your body getting too used to it. Night sweats are awful now off it

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 07:37:11 AM »

Morning.

Who gave you that advice?   It is usual I believe to take a break from some 'alternatives'.  Maybe put the product name into the search box and see what pops up, make notes ;-)

Do you have any particular reason not to try HRT?  Quality of Life is important as well as protecting heart and bones and in general, feeling better.

When was your last monthly period?

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 08:34:19 AM »

I didn't get on with the pill either but haven't had the same problem with hrt. If that's the only reason not to take it I would try it and see. Oestrogen deficiency is really best treated by adding oestrogen. Transdermal is safer than oral.

Dawn20

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 09:39:19 AM »

I didn't get on with the pill either, it caused nausea and migraines for me. I haven't had this problem with HRT. HRT is lifting your hormones to natural levels, while the pill increases/changes your hormones which can give the side affects.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 09:59:20 AM »

Hormone Replacement Therapy - menopause is natural but sometimes symptoms need easing and if supplements etc. don't help?  After all nothing needs to be for ever and quality of Life should be considered.

What did you decide Shaz7172?