Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Biting the bullet with HRT - quick advice needed before GP response please  (Read 881 times)

GetStuffedPeri

Hi - long story short, my wife has decided that she will give HRT a go.  I'ts been a long and horrendous slog, but here are the quick facts:

Age 49 (50 in couple months)
Menstrual history of regular, light, 3 day cycles with never any PMS or heavy bleeding issues.
Peri symptoms started 2013.
Periods waxed and waned for years until 2018/19, and she has now had 2 periods in 18 months - both 3 days, normal, but with horrendous symptoms returning following period.  She is now into month 8 without one.

WHICH HRT DO WE ASK GP FOR?! 

She smokes - not much, but enough for me to not want her to take the risk with an oral tab (we have told the GP this in our e-consult - waiting to hear back from them on Monday about whether they'll prescribe anything).  She's a healthy weight and always has been.  She takes no meds.

I know Evorel Conti meant to be for when you've been 12 months period free but have also read stories on here of women who are in late peri taking it?

Won't bother asking for Evorel Sequi (not sure that's suitable for her with periods 8/10 months apart anyway?) due to supply issues.

We are both terrified but also hopeful that she could finally start to feel better.  I've read so many horror stories about it taking ages to find the right regime etc and also stories of severe progesterone intolerance.  I can only hope that as she has never suffered with any form of significant bleeding or any PMS at all (until peri on the latter), she could tolerate the progesterone part of the HRT.  She's never had any surgical intervention and has never taken any form of contraceptive.

Thoughts please ladies??   Thanks  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Terrified of what exactly  :-\.  Hormones can cause many upheavals and it can be Trial and Error to find a regime that helps and yes, some do suffer with the progesterone phase.  Others however, don't.  Having Plans B/C is important and you seem well ahead of the 'what ifs'.

I think that some have a long oestrogen treatment followed by progesterone every 3 months rather than every month?  Also having regular scans to check lining thickness can be important.

Some one will be long I'm sure ;-).  Good Luck!

GetStuffedPeri

Thanks CLKD.  I haven't read much about long estrogen then progesterone every 3 months....do you mean like taking an estrogen only patch for 3 months then having a couple weeks of a progesterone.....are you suggesting this as her periods are so far apart and therefore regular progesterone may not be needed?  Thanks!   :)

CLKD

Progesterone is I believe required to cleanse the womb so that there isn't a build up which can bring it's own problems. 

Under medical supervision some do have a different regime.  You may find details on Louise Newsoms ? web-site.  Or one of the ladies who need this regime may be long. 

CLKD

I did a quick search on the Forum.

New member room : New Member on progesterone intolerance.  October 2019.  Worth a read where you may find some tips.   Make notes  ;)

GetStuffedPeri

Thank you!!  ;D

CLKD

You're welcome. I've probably been here too long  ;D 'cos threads spring to mind ..... pity I can't remember where I've put the car keys and my reading glasses  :rofl:

GetStuffedPeri

Thank you so much CLKD!  Your memory is great - no brain fog going on there  ;D

GP replied today - really lovely guy and made everything 100 times easier for my wife.  Had a quick chat with her and was more than happy to prescribe whatever form of HRT she wanted, with the obvious caveat regarding supply shortage.  He prescribed Evorel Conti and warned that we may have to drive around various pharmacies to find stock.  Walked to the pharmacy next to the surgery and they had a total of 4 boxes left - she needed 3!  From return phone call to HRT in hand = 20 minutes in total.  Having read horror stories about awful, no knowledge GPs and then the horrendous shortages of patches, we feel really lucky today.  Now to actually build up to slapping a patch on - it's taken 7 years to get to this point - praying to Beelzebub that this makes her feel better.  Now for an evening of researching Evorel Conti like mad!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:25:34 PM by GetStuffedPeri »