Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vagifem/VA - just when I thought things were improving  (Read 1214 times)

Patchsmama

Vagifem/VA - just when I thought things were improving
« on: August 21, 2020, 05:39:16 PM »

Hi Everyone

I posted previously about struggling with VA and UTI symptoms and I received some really helpful advice and kindness.  I've been on Vagifem for around 5 weeks now.  Did the 2 weeks of nightly, then twice a week.  For the past two weeks, I've felt so much better - comfortable, almost 'normal' down there, brighter in myself, more energy.  Sadly, this week, things seem to have gone downhill.  Have that slightly burning feeling down there and hoping that a UTI isn't going to start (something I get really anxious about as they are so painful).  Also, I feel really down and tearful in myself this week, could cry at anything, feeling anxious and just don't feel like doing anything.  I'm sure that the Vagifem is working as I'm getting a bit of discharge which starts off clear but dries white and when I insert the applicator, it isn't painful like it was at first, goes in much easier.  Sorry if TMI!

Just wondering if this is normal?  I haven't tried using any Yes alongside the Vagifem yet as I found it a bit hit and miss.  Just wish I didn't feel so down and tearful.  Trying to keep up appearances but have just had enough of feeling like this when I thought things were picking up.  Thanks so much for listening to my moans xx

Tinkerbell

Re: Vagifem/VA - just when I thought things were improving
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 06:50:45 PM »

I have never managed on Vagifem twice a week, i would up your dose, try every other day.

CherrySG

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 10:11:40 PM »

Half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in water twice a day really does help the burning feeling.

Also a nurofen takes away that constant feeling of needing to pee.

VA is horrible, and takes months to get better. But it does get better. Plenty of us need Vagifem every night, although it took a bit of a struggle to get this dose from the gp for me!

Hope it calms down soon.

Jutee

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 10:34:25 PM »

Hi I can't offer any advice but just to say I really understand what you are going through.
I have been on Vagifem for 11 weeks no real improvement GP.has now upped the dose to 3x a week.
My symptoms seem to be around urethra.
It makes it so hard to keep your chin up.
I start to imagine it is something serious and my health anxiety starts to kick in.
Hope it works soon for you.🌝

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 05:29:21 AM »

Jutee, you can use Vagifem more than three times a week. There used to be a 25 mcg version, which was discontinued for commercial reasons. Two of those a week would be five of the current 10 mcg pessaries. There is also the Estring vaginal ring which releases estradiol at the "old" rate. I use Vagifem daily.  It can take months to get on top of VA,.

JP x

Jutee

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 06:25:18 AM »

Thanks JP x

Lyncola

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 08:31:11 AM »

I’ve been using Ovestin externally and Vagifem internally (Every third night) for about 19 months.
For me I’ve improved by inserting Vagifem halfway up and started Olive and Bee externally two weeks ago and even more improvement.

It takes a while to find what works best for you

Patchsmama

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 09:13:48 PM »

Thanks Jutee.  I think we sound a bit similar.  I, too, suffer greatly with health anxiety.  Stupid really as I was a nurse for many years but I think a bit of knowledge and you always think the worst.  My big fear is always that something else is going on.  Thanks for your kind words.  It's just the fact that I was really starting to feel better then it's reappeared.  Is this what it does?  I don't know.  Take care.

Patchsmama

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 09:23:04 PM »

Thanks so much everyone for the replies.  Good to know I'm not on my own, though would be nice if we weren't all suffering.  I think the thing is that I was so optimistic after having some relief for a while, then it has started again.  I hoped that I would cope on twice weekly as I also worry about side effects and absorption.  I had a surgical menopause due to having a TAH and BSO 6 years ago when I was found to have a borderline ovarian tumour.  This shook me completely and I've been paranoid since, worrying that something serious is going on. 

My GP has assured me that the Vagifem has minimal absorption, said it was the same as taking two HRT tablets per year, though I held off for ages before I started it.  He said to try it for 3 months and go from there.  If I were to increase the dose, am I right in thinking that more would get absorbed?  Also, when it's said that it takes months to get on top of it, does that mean jiggling treatments until something right is found or does it take months for the same dose of Vagifem to work? 

Sorry to sound so thick about this.  I have no-one I can talk to about these things.  My mum passed away when I was 31.  I remember her constantly having UTIs which I think, now, was probably due to VA.  I know that she was on vaginal oestrogen, possibly a cream.  It was over 25 years ago. 

I've ordered some Olive and Bee today so will give that a try too.  I really hope there is hope somewhere along the line as I feel that I'm spoiling life for my husband and son :-( 

Sorry to go on but thanks everyone for your support xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 07:11:40 AM »

Not thick at all!  Peri throws up some real problems and VA hasn't been talked about until now ;-).

Appropriate VA treatment eases symptoms.  Some ladies need nightly treatment others are OK with every 3rd or 4th and 5th or 6th night applications.  It's about managing the condition.  It is a small amount of absorption so shouldn't pose problems.  The important issue is Quality of Life ;-)