Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Panic attacks - just started HRT  (Read 1535 times)

Shelster

Panic attacks - just started HRT
« on: August 21, 2020, 11:24:32 AM »

Hi ladies, I just wanted to get your advice about whether this is normal or whether I need to be seeing my GP.

I had the Mirena coil fitted on Saturday and started one pump of Oestrogel on Monday. I’ve felt off, a bit sick and strange ever since. My anxiety seems worse than ever and I’ve just had the worse panic attack that I’ve had in a long time. Thought I was going to be sick, went weak, felt dizzy etc. This is how they used to be a couple of years ago and prompted me to go on anti depressants, which I have since come off.

I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience, or if I need to see my GP, ditch the oestrogel altogether, etc.  Thank you x

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Panic attacks - just started HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »

Hi
Panic and anxiety go hand in hand. Sorry to hear your struggling.
I was the same, but after the HRT kicked in, it started to subside.
I still get anxiety and the odd panic stricken few minutes, but it's much better now.
It could be your body getting used to the hrt, see how you go, see if it settles, it could mean you'll have to change something, ie, change the oestrogen to another type, as you've got a Mirena fitted, its not easy changing that now it's in. ( well, it is, it's just hassle)
You'll probably get bloating and acid reflux too. All normal at the start of hrt.
Good luck keep us posted how your getting on.

Xx

Shelster

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 01:00:26 PM »

Thanks Jilly, that’s really helpful. It made me question whether I was doing the right thing today so good to know that it settled down for you. xx

Jane50

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 01:01:47 PM »

Hi Shelster,
I was exactly the same when I started oral HRT.  Took the tablet and had the biggest anxiety attack in the night. So went back to docs next day and his advice was to power through. I wasn't very impressed with this advice at the time but fortunately with the help of a course of diazepam the anxiety did start to subside. It can take 3 -6 months for any HRT regime to settle. I was also not very impressed with this information! I have had to try three different types of HRT (so far!) but the anxiety was/is definitely hormone related. In fact I'm not impressed with menopause generally! Not fun. I sympathise. I find jigsaws help me with anxiety. Although my mum says they give her anxiety 😂.  Hope you start to feel better soon x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 02:01:49 PM »

Nothing stops panic attacks other than my emergency as necessary pill  :'(

When I began 'tamoxifen' 36 hours after taking the 1st tablet I felt as though I had 'flu = anxiety.  So hormones can certainly cause upheaval!

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 02:32:45 PM »

My daughter in law suffered anxiety attacks for the first time following having a Mirena put in. It's so difficult to know how it's going to affect you until it's in. jillydoll's advice to give everything a chance to settle down is good.

Taz x

Shelster

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 02:59:56 PM »

Thanks so much ladies. It’s a good job I’m working from home at the moment. At least the pressure’s off a bit! x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 03:03:50 PM »

Hopefully it will settle.

Baby

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 08:26:36 PM »

Hi Shelster. My panic started Feb 2019. It started with panic on the morning for about ten minutes then would just go. It just got worse and every day is a struggle. Sorry I don't want to upset you maybe HRT just doesn't work for me.

Shelster

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 07:37:45 AM »

Sorry that you’re feeling rubbish too Baby, did you come off it? How are you doing now? Hope you’re okay x

loonarider

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 05:43:38 PM »

Hi ladies, I just wanted to get your advice about whether this is normal or whether I need to be seeing my GP.

I had the Mirena coil fitted on Saturday and started one pump of Oestrogel on Monday. I’ve felt off, a bit sick and strange ever since. My anxiety seems worse than ever and I’ve just had the worse panic attack that I’ve had in a long time. Thought I was going to be sick, went weak, felt dizzy etc. This is how they used to be a couple of years ago and prompted me to go on anti depressants, which I have since come off.

I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience, or if I need to see my GP, ditch the oestrogel altogether, etc.  Thank you x

I am going through the same as you. My night panic attacks/adrenaline rushes have come back full force and it's quite debilitating since I've had all my hopes put on the mirena coil and given every other progesterone has made me feel terrible.

Maybe I'm intolerant to progesterone.

How are you now? This is a super late response but I'm interested to see how you got on since this post :)