Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 907 times)

cjp50

• First Flush
« on: August 19, 2020, 06:59:54 PM »

Hi, I am new to this forum, I have just gone 50 and been going through what I believe to be perimenopause for 7 years.  It all seemed to start when my mum died suddenly and I have never been the same since.  My periods are irregular and I have missed several over the last couple of years.  I have had every symptom at one time or another but the worst by far is the health anxiety and palpitations.  I have had several ECG tests, echocardiogram, 24 hr monitor the lot! Nothing found.  My anxiety was so bad at one point I couldnt work, drive, go shopping I left several social events in tears.  I used to be a very sociable confident person but not anymore.  I was offered anti depressants by my doctor but I dont think they are the answer for me.  I am now able to work part time and I am driving again but since this covid19 outbreak I seem to be slowly slipping backwards.  I cant wear a mask without panicking so shopping is out for now.  My heart rate is high 85 resting and rising to 130+ when I am having a panic attack (which usually happens at night).  I am constantly checking my pulse, blood pressure, temp its exhausting.  I really dont know what to do next nothing seems to work for me, I just cant get control of this health anxiety.  Please if anyone has any tips let me know.

Caroline

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 07:06:46 PM »

Anxiety can raise with the hormone cortisol particularly in the early hours  :-\.  I took a betablocka for years to ease those surges, they certainly helped.  It can B Trial and Error to see what might suit .

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress.  Then you can decide which you would like to ease first.

Are you depressed?  Did your GP. consider menopause?  The Change can throw up lots of oddities as well as the easing off of periods.  Mine waxed and waned for years.  It was several months B4 I realised they had stopped but I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years.

:welcomemm:   You'll find others who have had similar symptoms to your own.  Browse round.  Ask away.  Nowt is OTT here.

Jane50

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 06:49:50 PM »

Hi Caroline,
I'm sorry you're feeling so rubbish.
I had terrible anxiety as peri got warmed up so I sympathise. I also had to stop work and couldn't drive. Night time anxiety, palpitations, increased heart rate etc. Also had nausea, brain fog, crashing fatigue to name a few. I don't do anything by halves!
Anyway, diazepam helped me over the worst and then as HRT began to take effect things have calmed down a lot so mine was definitely hormonal. Peri menopause is enough to give anyone health anxiety so be kind to yourself .  Are you on any HRT?

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 08:00:56 PM »

Hi, cjp50.  :welcomemm:

Glad you've found us.
All of us know how your feeling on here, anxiety is the pits. Doctors are so quick to give out antidepressants, mine wanted me to go on them, but I said no thanx, as I knew it was all hormonal.
I wasn't depressed as in the true sense of being depressed. I started HRT and sure enough, when it kicked in, I felt better. So I was really happy I'd refused the ADs. ( I'd had them years ago, and had bad experience on them).
What I did to help with my anxiety, when it was really bad was the breathing exercises. 4/7/8.:Breathe in for four counts. Hold it for 7 counts, then breath out through your mouth for 8 counts, it slows your breathing down. Also, when you can't focus on anything but your feelings, try and concentrate on three different things. So, what you can hear, what you can see, and what you feel. When I was laying in bed, I'd be listening to any sound I could hear, so my fan blowing, that's one, then focus on what you can see, I could see the wardrobe, that's two and three was, what I feeling laying in my bed, so if I felt my feet pushing down into the mattress, or a pain in my body somewhere,  that was the third. Then start again. It's designed to get your mind off the anxiety. You can manipulate it how you want to. What suits you. It really helped me.
My advice would be to stop checking your blood pressure, and heart rate, I did that too, on my,phone app, and although I thought it was good at the time, and it showed my stress levels were in the red area, looking back, it just fuels your anxiety. I was always thinking, oh god, I'm in the red, I must have something really wrong with me! I've got 78 beats per minute,🙀  I'm sure to have a heart attack soon! 🤷‍♀️
It's no good. Trust what the tests have shown at the hospital, it's just your anxiety playing tricks on you.
And don't google! Google will have you dead and buried in 2 weeks! 😆 I know, I've done it! Well, obviously I didn't die, I'm still here! 😆😂
Eat and drink plenty fluids, can you go for walks anywhere, getting out helps. Without a mask I mean, away from people? Even just for 5/10 minutes. If not, play your music, whatever you like, or watch something you enjoy. Get your mind off the anxiety. Sleep,whenever you can, again, even for just a nap.
I'm not saying all this is a miracle cure, it isn't, but it's there to help. Keep at it, then one day, you'll start to feel better, more in control, even one days respite would be great. And it'll come. xx

Jd xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 08:28:30 PM »

As long as 2 weeks jillydoll  ::) - 24 hours more like ;-)

Try not to plan too far ahead, I still don't look further than lunch time.  When I have to book anything anxiety hits  >:(  :-\

Little steps.  Relaxation can be helpful, I found that stretching my toes/muscles and holding and moving up my body helped in bed.  I never got further up than my thighs ;-).. Rescue remedy mouth spray also helped.