Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Chronic illness and peri menopause  (Read 942 times)

Sunriser

Chronic illness and peri menopause
« on: August 11, 2020, 08:32:38 AM »

8) hi all, I have been living with a chronic illness for 5 years which has resulted in many long term physical issues. One of those is chronic fatigue.
I am 50 I noticed various new symptoms eg heat, insomnia and unexplained weight gain a few months ago and an older friend joined the dots for me and my GP confirmed peri menopause.
I did have a random night sweat over a year ago and bloods were done then, hormone screening showed one hormone was changing, thyroid was checked only 6 months ago and all was good.
My question is this, I can’t get out of bed in the morning which is unusual for me, usually I wake around 6am or earlier and then can get up.
I am living with a disability that means I rely on carers to wash and dress me in the morning. I can’t even manage that.
I am waiting for GP to call me back, I was going to ask for another hormone screening test and see if the worsening fatigue is being caused by the menopause or am I heading for a relapse. The thought of a relapse is frightening as I nearly died with the rare infection and it took me years to recover to this level.
Anyone else here with a pre existing illness who can help? It’s so hard to know what it going on with my body!
Daily life was already a challenge and now I have this to deal with. I did try hrt but didn’t agree with me, other symptoms are manageable, I’ve sorted the insomnia and have got my head around the weight gain, I’m not overweight. I have room to spare lol  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Chronic illness and peri menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 08:36:16 AM »

As if peri-menopause wasn't difficult enough for some !

Do you have a support group for your condition/s? 

If your thyroid function blood test is within normal limits I would put that on one side for now though some can get continuing symptoms but GPs may be loathe to do further testing.

R U sleeping?  R your carers flexible in when they attend?  Could they visit with you later, maybe pop in to give you breakfast and then later help you with your personal needs?

Sunriser

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 08:49:37 AM »

Hi, thanks for your reply  :)
I have lots of support with a great fiancé, friends and kids. I also have regular CBT which is brilliant.
I now mostly sleep well, thank goodness. I can’t get the carers to change their time as they are on a rota. It’s annoying atm but when the kids go back to school I don’t know how I’m going to get up in the morning! I have teenagers and live in a rural area. Have to be ready to drive them if the bus doesn’t turn up.
I’ll see what the GP says. Tbh I could cope with it if I knew it was a peri symptom. Not the other...scary stuff!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 10:15:00 AM »

Is there anyone who could pick up the sproggs if the bus fails to turn up?  Being rural is OK until!!  ::)

Fatigue is part of peri., I remember my Mum would sit down suddenly in the middle of a chore and drop off to sleep  :o ! annoyed the hell out of me at the time but having experienced fatigue since though not to that extreme ........... crashing fatigue we calls it here.

........ and breath.  We are listening!

Sunriser

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 11:37:15 AM »

Thanks, the GP called me and I’m going for blood tests on Monday for screening to see exactly where I am on the menopause journey! That information will be very useful.
I have good support and yes I’m probably just doing the usual mummy thing and worrying well in advance lol
Also having this forum is so good!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 12:14:47 PM »

That's what Mummies do?

Make a list of symptoms to discuss with the GP?  Hormone blood tests are reliably unreliable  ::) so symptoms are important.

Browse round.  Do read the bladder issues and vaginal atrophy threads ;-)

Sunriser

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 10:59:56 AM »

Got bloods done and preliminary results show thyroid vit B and everything else is normal.
The receptionist said the GP was still looking at the hormone screen and I should call back tomorrow.
I’ve had a look at the info here and feel fairly well prepared to speak to GP with list of symptoms.
Any advice about what points to make to the GP about this would be appreciated. The fatigue was already bad and it’s getting worse, I am open to trying HRT if it can ease the symptoms.