Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Is a 3 weeks period normal?  (Read 6330 times)

Windmill

• First Flush
Is a 3 weeks period normal?
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:46:02 PM »

Hello,
I am new to the forum and I am completely lost  :(
I hope you can tell me what you think about this: next month I will turn 48years old, a year ago, I started having periods with heavy bleeding, I used a tampon and a towel at the same time, the GP said me that it was a symptom of menopause, I have not had any other symptom and I have not taken any medication in this time.  my periods were heavies but regulars. Then I had my period on April 30 and I did not have it again until July 27 and it has not stopped! this time isn't heavy, but the panty liners are not enough I need a towel, I had a consultation by phone with the GP today and she has said me the same thing about the periods changing at my age, I have already been with this for 3 weeks, could you please tell me, if you have had something similar? How much longer could my period continue? 
Thank you so much for your time.
Windmill

Taz2

Re: Is a 3 weeks period normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 09:09:54 PM »

Hi Windmill. You've come to the right place. Your symptoms are typical of peri-menopause. The first signs are often erratic periods. They can become heavy or light. Last for a few days or go on for weeks. They can be a couple of weeks apart and then a few months...sometimes six months without them back to an almost regular cycle.

Your bleeding doesn't sound to be too heavy at the moment. It's not unusual to need a super plus tampon and a towel on heavier days.

You will find lots of friendship and support on here. Ask away if you have further questions. Someone will soon be along to advise.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 09:40:04 PM »

Windmill

I have the mirena coil and still bled into the menopause with that in .  I was checked out and all was fine.  I still get the odd period now and im 54 with a mirena coil still in and supposedly post menopausal.  My friend started all this at 42 she once had a period that lasted 6 weeks again was told by the gp was normal as she was in peri menopause.  She had to go back to sanitary towels.  Please dont worry its not nice to be bleeding that long.  Take care x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 08:53:05 AM »

Hi.  My periods waxed and waned for several years.  Would go a few weeks with regular bleeds then miss months, sometimes with a brown staining for a couple of days.  I knew it was The Change so wasn't unduly concerned.  I think it was a few months B4 I realised that was it, though I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years  ::) - in case. 

If the bleeds are particularly heavy the GP can prescribe a drug to help.

Windmill

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 09:09:08 AM »

Thank you very much!!, I can't say enough thank you for your answers.  I am not distressed by my long period now  :)
I don't have a female figure in my life to ask her for advice, as I said, I'm really loss, but I've spent a lot of time reading in this forum and I'm learning a lot.
I also appreciate the effort to understand me, English is not my first language and I know that I still make many mistakes.
Thanks again for your time and help
Windmill x

Sarah C

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 04:25:58 PM »

Hi Windmill
 I have been having the same trouble as you. My periods are all over the place. I had 3 in April!! Then had an 8 week gap and my last one lasted 3 weeks!! That one finished 4 days ago and today I started bleeding again ☹️
I collected a prescription for Cerazette today to try to sort bleeding out but feel worried about side effects.
I'm only 46 so could have years of this ahead!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 04:28:33 PM »

Waxing and waning - always carry protection ;-) in case ..........

Anemia is the thing to be aware of. 

sueyvern

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 08:23:52 PM »

Hi All
Being older (60) I've done this bit.
I started missing a few, then heavier ones this included lengthy light periods and the final one was heavy lots of cramping and that was it.
Had about 3 years of this before they finally stopped so you all sound pretty normal to me. Hope that helps