Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Chills and exhaustion with panic attacks?  (Read 1804 times)

Pumpkin55

Chills and exhaustion with panic attacks?
« on: August 29, 2020, 08:55:10 PM »

Hi there, I think I've experienced my first two menopausal panic attacks. Last Sunday, i suddenly felt really exhausted and tearful and just unwell. It was in the run up to a hysteroscopy and coincided with the end of my period (I've had three periods on the trot following 15 months without any). I also had had some very physically tiring days doing a lot of house renovations/ clear outs. Didn't feel great Monday or Tuesday either but I pushed through and did lots of work in the house [clearing, sorting, flat pack furniture making]. Anyway Tuesday night I went to bed feeling shattered and then I woke up during the night with these awful feelings of terror and panic, like I was going mad. It was terrifying. Anyway I got through it, just felt tired the next day. And gave myself a really easy day. Had the hysteroscopy on Thursday, and all was fine with the womb etc. And I'd felt fine since, no more panicky feelings or anything.  But then early evening today I had the same sudden chill and exhaustion sweep over me like I needed to sleep there and then, just wanted to close my eyes and cut out, but I stayed up and ate dinner with my kids for their sake, and felt a bit better. But then suddenly, whilst watching TV, those same feelings of panic that I had had Tuesday night hit me. I deep breathed through it and when it had gone, I went and had a bath and all the feelings I had had of feeling unwell and cold all over, and extreme exhaustion, were gone. I've been reading posts on here about panic attacks, and nobody seems to mention chills and exhaustion preceding them, so i just wanted to ask... does anyone else experience this, or were the chills and exhaustion and nausea part of the attack? It felt like two separate phases, like a couple of hours apart.

Pumpkin55

Re: Chills and exhaustion with panic attacks?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 09:09:15 PM »

I just read this online: Becoming tired is sometimes a coping mechanism that your body uses to prevent you from experiencing severe stress. Tiredness motivates you to take a break and rest, rather than exposing yourself to even more anxiety, which could become even more overwhelming.   So I wonder if the sudden extreme exhaustion is my body trying to minimise the panic/anxiety that is rising in my body with my topsy turvy hormones...

Baby

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 09:55:21 PM »

Hi pumpkin. I started like you in Feb 2019 with sudden panic last
ting about ten minutes then it would pass. I also had extreme sudden exhaustion and I remember coming from work and just having to lie down like I felt I would fall over if I didnt. Bearing in mind I was 50 and had NEVER felt such intense tiredness before and had never had tpo take naps before. I also got chills too. I don't get the chills anymore but I am tired all the time and the panic and anxiety have only got worse. Don't want to scare you but I have been suffering now for 18 months and am now trialling my 4th type of HRT.  You may be lucky and find one quickly that helps you. Good luck.x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 09:01:48 AM »

Hormones  >:(

You've had 3 periods in a short while so your energy levels will probably be depleted.  You were facing an investigation which probably raised anxiety levels.  Add that to the waking hormone cortisol and it's a receipe for panic attacks.  In the 1990s Cortisol was a big problem for me for a while, I would wake terrified in the early hours  :'(.   Followed by deep despair.

Anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medication has helped. 

Within 24 hours of my first Tamoxifen pill I had chills and felt as though I had 'flu.  So that was definitely hormonal.  When I have bad panic attacks which literally floor me, I am exhausted for hours after.  The as-necessary anti-anxiety pill knocks me out, complete relief. 

I remember Mum having crashing fatigue, she would stop in the middle of a chore, sit down and sleep. 

Shelster

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 06:34:22 PM »

I know what you mean about the feeling unwell, nausea, chills, Pumpkin. This is similar to how I feel in a panic attack. I could cry reading your post. It’s awful that we have to go through this. I’m at the start of peri so have no advice for you but I just wanted you to know you’re not alone xx

Pumpkin55

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 09:03:17 PM »

Dear Jaypo
Thanks so much for your supportive words. so glad it lifted for you - did you take anything or did it just lift organically?

Pumpkin55

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 09:05:15 PM »

Dear CLKD, crashing fatigue yes that's what it feels like. I've never known anything like it, not even when I've had nights following bereavement of just an hour's sleep or whatever. This is something so different you end up thinking you must be really ill.

Pumpkin55

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 09:09:15 PM »

Dear Shelster, I'm so sorry you're also going through this. Yes, nausea too, I forgot to mention that, but it comes in waves with the chills and exhaustion. I just want to cry when it happens as I feel so unwell. And then of course, I think I must be ill. I didn't want to take hormones and had got through all the other meno symptoms of insomnia and sweats and loss of mojo etc but this is so horrible and  I think there comes a time where quality of life has to outweigh risks.

Shelster

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 07:10:35 AM »

I’ve always been the same about hormones Pumpkin, always avoided the pill etc, but I’ve just started on HRT now. I’ll keep you updated. I agree with you, sometimes you need to re-evaluate. Keep us posted on how you get on. xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 07:56:52 AM »

Quality of Life Girls, QoL!

Shelster

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 11:04:52 AM »

Yes, CLKD, deffo! 😀

Brit66

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 11:13:57 AM »

Hi there, I think I've experienced my first two menopausal panic attacks. Last Sunday, i suddenly felt really exhausted and tearful and just unwell. It was in the run up to a hysteroscopy and coincided with the end of my period (I've had three periods on the trot following 15 months without any). I also had had some very physically tiring days doing a lot of house renovations/ clear outs. Didn't feel great Monday or Tuesday either but I pushed through and did lots of work in the house [clearing, sorting, flat pack furniture making]. Anyway Tuesday night I went to bed feeling shattered and then I woke up during the night with these awful feelings of terror and panic, like I was going mad. It was terrifying. Anyway I got through it, just felt tired the next day. And gave myself a really easy day. Had the hysteroscopy on Thursday, and all was fine with the womb etc. And I'd felt fine since, no more panicky feelings or anything.  But then early evening today I had the same sudden chill and exhaustion sweep over me like I needed to sleep there and then, just wanted to close my eyes and cut out, but I stayed up and ate dinner with my kids for their sake, and felt a bit better. But then suddenly, whilst watching TV, those same feelings of panic that I had had Tuesday night hit me. I deep breathed through it and when it had gone, I went and had a bath and all the feelings I had had of feeling unwell and cold all over, and extreme exhaustion, were gone. I've been reading posts on here about panic attacks, and nobody seems to mention chills and exhaustion preceding them, so i just wanted to ask... does anyone else experience this, or were the chills and exhaustion and nausea part of the attack? It felt like two separate phases, like a couple of hours apart.

Hi Pumpkin 55, im sorry you are experiencing these symptoms. YES-I have had this happen to me for the past few years. In fact I have ended up in A&E 3 times because  my heart rate went so high and just wouldn't slow for hours. They did an ecg each time and my heart is very healthy and I was just told to relax more. I had the disturbing thoughts,  the chills and shaking and overwhelming massive panic attacks. I've never heard of anyone else having the same thing so thanks for sharing.
I did the DARE program last year and am now absolutely fine but it was a long, terrifying journey. I hope you find something that works for you..

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 05:38:37 PM »

Hello ladies.

Earlier today I was thinking how well my hormones behaved  in the past. Apart from some cramping etc on the second day of my period all was well. Even my pregnancies were fine and then I remembered the spells of extreme tiredness that came over my in the first trimester of my first pregnancy.  It was overwhelming and once I even fell asleep at my desk!

I have had many symptoms of meno and continue to struggle  with some of them but I seem to have escaped the crashing fatigue so far. My experiences from thirty years ago however  leave me in no doubt that hormonal fluctuations are the cause of this debilitating symptom.

Wishing you all well ladies and take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 06:06:52 PM »

Forgot to mention that during a panic attack, without medication, I shake for hours  :'( enough to move our mahogany 4 poster bed  :o.  I would shiver too.  Dreadful :-(((