Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Advice on stopping HRT  (Read 1590 times)

pricey

Advice on stopping HRT
« on: August 16, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »

Hi ladies,

So I have weaned down to half a pump of Oestrogel for the last month.  I had a withdrawal bleed followed by my own bleed (not unusual for me some months), then I've spotted off and on. I want to stop HRT because at 55 I feel I need to see where I am. No HRT has really suited me and I want to at least give my body the chance to stop having a cycle. My immediate question is should I stop now (my month on this lowest bit is up - I also worry the half dose best guess may be causing more confusion),  or should I do the utrogestan part, then quit? I've bled most of the past 5 weeks so is this really necessary,  as I'm guessing the total cessation of Oestrogel will trigger a bleed anyway?

Thanks as always for your support.

X

Julia Dizzy

Re: Advice on stopping HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »

Hi,
I'm 63 was on a conti regime of gel and utrogestan for 9 months....and just stopped cold turkey for 2 months to see if I felt any different because the magic hadn't happened for me!! I didn't bleed or anything but the flushes came back.  :'( I believe you can wean off slowly or just stop?

Good luck and hope you find your balance.
x

pricey

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 06:46:27 PM »

Thank you, Julia. I think I'm going to bite the bullet! I'm on such a low dose now. Will keep you posted ;)

X

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 11:21:42 PM »

hi ladies

i’m only 41 but thinking of stopping hrt as no regime really seems to be magic infact with the weight gain hairloss exessive armpit sweat bloating caused from hrt the one symtom of watery discharge seems only controlled by higher dose which i’m on but hair still shedding ill be bold by the time i’m 45

pricey

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 07:42:57 AM »

Sammiejane, I have to say at no point have I felt 'wonderful' on any regime. It could be that after a few weeks/months off HRT, I realise I did feel great by comparison.  But I won't know until I try. So today is day one without HRT for the first time in 4-5 years.  I will keep you posted. :D

pricey

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 08:49:57 AM »

So ladies,  would stopping Oestrogel (even though I was only on half a pump) trigger a bleed? It seems to have done.  I've been bleeding off and on for a month but it was only 4 weeks ago I dropped down to half so I'm guessing this is like starting a new regime in reverse?

:(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 08:51:43 AM by pricey »

Js

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 09:52:20 AM »

Hi ladies

I have been on evorel  conti patches for about 10 years now had a break after 5 years as your suppose to I am now 61 and have been trying to come off it by cutting patch to half then to quarter which I’m  on now but getting the sweats bad during night and day infact I have spoken to my meno nurse about it and because of the hot weather it’s been unbearable and if I don’t get my sleep that’s not good she advised I increase to half again even though I’m suppose to be coming off it. You should not just stop hrt you should come off it slowly so your body gets used to it. There are other herbs and vitamins you could try but I know everyone is different and what suits one person may not suit someone else and I think it’s a quality of life thing why should we suffer if we don’t have any health issues that prevent us staying on something that works and makes our lives more comfortable then carry on as long we understand the risks which I do then I’m prepared to increase the hrt patch . Before you change anything might be worth running it past doctor or meno nurse if have one for advice as could end up with more problems

Good luck
Js

Flan747

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 02:18:08 PM »

Advice please
I’ve been on HRT for 15 months now and have tried tablets patches gel and now on Sandrena 4mg. I am due to have Mirena coil fitted on the 24th. I have struggled on all regimes. I am willing to try next regime for 3 months ( thought I would give it til Xmas if I can)
Has anyone stopped HRT and felt better ? I just can’t seem to get it right and feel dreadful everyday this is obviously getting me down. I hear so many success stories but it doesn’t seem to be me many stories welcomed

Sammiejane

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 11:29:14 PM »

hi

i just wish my hairloss on hrt would stop would changing from the gel to a patch help ?

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 01:08:48 PM »

Hi Flan747, I too have struggled over the last year on gel and oral utrogestan to the point where now my reflux has gone worse, damaging my vocal chords and don't feel any better in general. Unless its not coincidence and something else.

I have decided to have a HRT break until FemSeven patches are back in production and that will be my last thing to try I think. I know my hot flushes will come back but will have to see how it goes.

I like the convenience of a patch, don't want to take anything orally any more and didn't fancy the coil at all, so I hope it works for you.
Pricey we can compare withdrawal symptoms if you decide to come off!

Flan747

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 01:41:29 PM »

Hi Julia I too do not like the idea of the coil but need to almost cross it off the list of things to try! I tried patches but they made me hyper and very anxious, I may admit I tried the patches for the least amount of time! I’m due for another bloody test in 3 weeks to see if I am absorbing Sandena any better than the gel when I got up to 6 pumps and reading was still only 264! Will keep you posted but I can see myself heading for a break to see actually happens! Fingers crossed it all works out in the end whichever way we chose to go! One thing I have never had is hot flushes it’s mostly mentally and gastric!