Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Coping with bad nights and other awful symptoms  (Read 4618 times)

caithness

• First Flush
Coping with bad nights and other awful symptoms
« on: September 12, 2023, 06:11:44 AM »

I feel like I'm going mad!  About 2 years ago I had a number of symptoms, which I'll explain in a second, was put on Everol Sequi and it did really improve them but the last few weeks have been awful.

I have had constant nausea which is much worse at night and in the wee small hours.  Anxiety kicked in with the nausea and it's really hard to tell whether that is triggered because of the nausea or causing the nausea.  At night I lay there with waves of nausea sweeping over me, it's hard to describe but my arms and legs feel kind of sick too.  I'm hot, can't get comfortable and then the dread sets in, I'm think I'm dying.  When I get up I retch until I throw up some hot liquid, not vomiting food, like morning sickness.

This mainly bothered me at night but then started lasting all day.  I spoke to a doctor who prescribed short term Prochlorperazine and booked me an appointment.  The PCP did ease of the nausea so I could function and go to work but the anxiety felt like it was lurking close by and the minute I'm not distracted it hits.  I do have a few extra things going on which I don't think are helping, youngest daughter off to Uni on Saturday and husband currently out of work and looking for jobs.  I feel like I'm losing the plot, but I don't think I'm depressed.

I had my appointment yesterday.  I'd had blood tests which all came back normal apart from slightly low Vitamin D.  Doctor thinks it might be reflux (even though I'm not getting heartburn).  She has prescribed omeprazole and referred me to have a camera down my throat.  She wouldn't prescribe the Prochlorperazine again saying it was just masking the symptoms and not getting to the cause.  She's also referred me for a pelvic scan as I've had a couple of extra bleeds and also a slight twinge in my right groin area.  She said it could be anxiety but wants to rule out these things before treating that.  Didn't think that changing/tweaking my HRT would help.

So last night I took gaviscon before bed as instructed.  I had a dreadful night.  All the symptoms described above plus dizziness which is much worse as soon as I lay down.  I have had that in the past but not in the last few weeks. 

Sorry for rambling, just after some advice of how to cope with all this, especially how to cope with the nights. I actually feel a bit scared to go to bed because I know I'll sleep for a couple of hours and then it'll start.  I'm not sure if I'd be better getting up when it's this bad, propping myself up on the sofa with some gentle TV on to distract.  Or if that would be creating bad habits. 

Thanks for reading.  I'm glad to have found this group.

flossie fiddler

Re: Coping with bad nights and other awful symptoms
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 10:42:10 AM »

I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this. I can relate to the symptoms you describe. When I had a 2.5 year break from HRT I had that feeling of arms and legs and whole body involvement at night I can only describe it as inflammation, but it wasn’t really, but I remember several times saying to my hubby ‘I know it sounds melodramatic but I wake up in the night feeling like I’m dying’. It made me so anxious.

The symptoms disappeared when I went back on HRT. I switched to Utrogestan from Evorel for the progesterone, due to bleeding issues, which are ongoing, and it really does knock me out at night. Sadly it makes me feel groggy all day, and caused heartburn.

Maybe a tweak of your HRT is needed, despite what your doc says. I’m having investigations for my bleeding (been there twice before) but if all OK, I’m going to give the Mirena a go. My GP said it’s the best way to administer progesterone if you’re sensitive to it in patches or pills, and it’s supposed to really help with the bleeding.

Hope you soon feel better.

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 02:37:25 PM »

Your doctor is doing the right thing by taking blood tests and referring you for scans etc to rule out anything serious.

I think she's right thinking the cause is anxiety, you have all the symptoms and the fact your daughter is leaving home and your husband's out of work has probably triggered these feelings to escalate. You're all going through big life changes and at a time when menopause don't help.

Reflux, nausea, a lump in the throat and other related stomach problems are also symptoms of anxiety.

My arms and legs would feel like jelly in the night and start shaking uncontrollably with anxiety panic attacks.

The worsed fear was not knowing it was anxiety and thinking I was going to die, once I knew it was anxiety causing all these physical symptoms I started to be able to cope better with it.

If you feel better getting up then do that, it's less scary than lying there in the dark worrying. I used to go down and make some warm milk, it was comforting, it was my security blanket. Go back when you feel better and perhaps leave the lamp on and read a bit until you feel able to relax and lie down again.

Goldie70

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 02:35:14 PM »

I’ve been having bad nights too - always find a thread on here where someone experiences the same and it makes me feel less like I’m going mad. 

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 12:16:55 PM »

If she thinks it's anxiety why has she ruled out a change to your hrt? My anxiety was a symptom of low oestrogen. I've had to increase twice now because of returning symptoms as my own production of oestrogen dwindled. Personally I'd want to try increased oestrogen before going down the ad route.

T’oldlass

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 09:40:15 PM »

You’re not on your own. The night anxiety is bloody crippling me

KaraShannon

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 01:21:01 PM »

I'd just add to ask your doctor for heart checks, not because anything you describe specifically suggests heart issues, but just to be on the safe side, especially as it's worse when lying down, and you have the feeling your arms and legs feel sick as well.  I think it's extremely remote that it would be anything heart related in an otherwise young woman but doesn't hurt to check and may alleviate some anxiety about it being serious.

Meanwhile could you sit up in a comfy chair for sleeping for a few days just to break this pattern with your body, sometimes that can be enough?  I'm also wondering if it's mild labyrinthitis.