Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A cashless society?  (Read 4142 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
A cashless society?
« on: August 11, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »

I always carry cash.  I can't remember my PIN numbers nor do I trust the switch across a pad idea .......... the card could be nicked and used by others and the pad could register the card several times.

My hobbies are cash-based.  Very few card holders ........... though it makes us all vulnerable. 

I also use cheques - to pay for Mum's paper deliveries and to send monies occasionally to cousins abroad from Mum's cheque book.

littleminnie

Re: A cashless society?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 06:18:02 PM »

Very rarely use cash.  If I draw £100 out it lasts for months.

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 08:32:59 PM »

I haven't used cash for months.  Write about one cheque a year.  Make a lot of payments by BACs.  Contactless is much better than cash.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 08:54:57 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 07:48:29 AM »

There is no evidence that notes or coinage carry C-19.  It's the Banks efforts to get rid of easy money payments for those who like cash, stall holders on Markets and Antique Stalls ............ if I want a banana whilst walking round town I'm not going to flash a card for 90p!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 08:41:54 AM »

Has anyone been affected by cash/notes being transferred?  I carry small sanitiser bottles all the while in my jeans back pocket.  Used often. It has never crossed my mind that I would be infected by using cash. 

R U going somewhere exciting?  It's too warm for me to venture far but I feel a garden centre visit on the horizon once the air cools, maybe a Herb Garden ;-)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 08:52:36 AM »

The virus can survive on paper for up to three days and on material for the same amount of time too. It survives longer on plastic I believe. This is why all returned library books are quarantined for at least three days and why we quarantine our post/packages unless urgent. Metal coinage is especially more likely to harbour the virus apparently. It does get confusing!

Taz x  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 08:56:40 AM »

There is no evidence that notes or coinage carry C-19.  It's the Banks efforts to get rid of easy money payments for those who like cash, stall holders on Markets and Antique Stalls ............ if I want a banana whilst walking round town I'm not going to flash a card for 90p!

I do! Most places have cash machines now. Our local market did well before covid. I feel safer with card or phone payments and I'm sure it's safer for retailers too rather than having large amounts of cash. I do think it should be a choice though.

Taz x

Two hoots

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 08:57:56 AM »

I always have cash in me and have been against going cashless, but since lockdown ive hardly used any, lots of shops ask if you will use contactless, its not so long ago shops had signs saying that there was a minimum amount you could pay on a card  :-\

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 09:06:18 AM »

Hello ladies.

When my son was asked to pay his rent by sending the landlady twelve post dated cheques he had to order a cheque book and we had to tell him how to fill it in lol. He is twenty seven and it seems  young people use plastic for everything.

I have noticed that the smaller shops are happy to take cash but the assistants usually sanitise their hands after touching coins or notes.

I have now mastered the self service tills in supermarkets and my credit card is contactless. However yesterday I needed to call for help and the assistant stood right next to me, though of course we were both wearing masks. I then realised how close I was to other people using the tills. Now I'm wondering if I should go back to queueing at a distance from other shoppers and be served by someone who is behind a screen.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Sparrow

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 10:05:52 AM »

I have now mastered the self service tills in supermarkets and my credit card is contactless. However yesterday I needed to call for help and the assistant stood right next to me, though of course we were both wearing masks. I then realised how close I was to other people using the tills. Now I'm wondering if I should go back to queueing at a distance from other shoppers and be served by someone who is behind a screen.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Unfortunately this is my experience also.  I noticed that before masks were mandatory, those wearing them forgot about social distancing.  This is now widespread. 

I now only go into shops where I know what I want and can be out in under 5 mins.  No more browsing for me. 

If the government thought the wearing of masks would encourage people back into the shops, they were wrong.  Numbers suggest footfall has actually fallen since there introduction.   
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 10:07:45 AM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 10:26:02 AM »

How many of you wipe the keypads B4 using them  :-\ at cashpoints etc.? 

As well as the hand sanitiser bottles at stores?  How does 1 know that the person infront isn't infected?  I usually pout a lot of the stuff on2 my hands and then smear over the bottle and plunger ..........

littleminnie

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 11:55:00 AM »

I use sanitizer on my hands after using the cash point.  Not that I use it much these days.  My son never has cash and pays for everything on his card (well his watch). 

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 12:05:52 PM »

A watch  ;D ...... that wouldn't work 4 me as I have too much static and watches stop within 20 mins.  ::)

I think that people over all are getting blase and not using sanitiser often enough when up and about!

jaypo

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 01:37:53 PM »

I HATE using a card if something is only a pound or so, I always pay cash for say a coffee or the likes

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 02:46:00 PM »

...... and me.  I fought hard to keep cheque books too.  Banks will put themselves out of a job soon, I will be putting mine under the bed, there is so little interest paid on savings  >:(
Pages: [1] 2