Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thinning hair.. help!  (Read 2226 times)

Emm225

Thinning hair.. help!
« on: August 11, 2020, 07:33:41 AM »

Any advise or experience to help stop  with hair thinning /loss?

I thought going onto HRT (utroheston 100 and an oestrogen patch, taken continually and started mid March) would help my hair and skin... I didn't start taking it for these reasons but was looking forward to getting the hair i had a few years ago back! But no... this hasn't happened and if anything it's getting thinner.  Not super thin yet but I notice a lot on my wide toothed comb and in my brush.

So... has anyone tried anything which works? I tried thickening shampoo and plantur shampoo... if anything my hair is a little dry on these.  Herd a radio podcast too which said caffeine products are really a waste of time... they said it was more the action of you rubbing it into your scalp which helps.  I do blow dry my hair which I know isn't the best thing and use protector on it but but it looks appalling if I don't style it with the drier etc.

I'm sure I read on here if regain and something else beginning with v but someone said they were OK whilst you used them but as soon as you stopped your hair became thin again.  Also I seemed to remember £££s... altho if it works possibly worth it?

jaypo

Re: Thinning hair.. help!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 07:40:16 AM »

Aww so sorry about your hair  :'( yes regaine is good but VERY costly,I'd forget all the shampoos that promise miracles,they don't work!! Have you tried biotin capsules? Ask for advice In Holland & Barrett  Or even a hairdresser,hair loss in menopausal women is different to hair loss in younger women so make sure you explain WHY you're losing your hair

Emm225

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 10:55:00 AM »

My hairdresser, bless her, is v young and not sure she'd be of much use. Also... bit public in the salon as not many people.... its small and covid restrictions  mean v few customers at a time. I asked a different hairdresser about a year or so ago and she just suggested fake hair prices..... 🙄

Otter15

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 12:25:39 PM »

Don't know if it's true or not yet but I've been reading about olive oil helping with hair loss.  My hair is getting thinner at the front. I read an article about olive oil so thought I'd give it a try it when I wash my hair but don't know if it will work or not. It'll condition it if nothing else.😁

Evie606

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 04:39:23 PM »

Any advise or experience to help stop  with hair thinning /loss?

I thought going onto HRT (utroheston 100 and an oestrogen patch, taken continually and started mid March) would help my hair and skin... I didn't start taking it for these reasons but was looking forward to getting the hair i had a few years ago back! But no... this hasn't happened and if anything it's getting thinner.  Not super thin yet but I notice a lot on my wide toothed comb and in my brush.

So... has anyone tried anything which works? I tried thickening shampoo and plantur shampoo... if anything my hair is a little dry on these.  Herd a radio podcast too which said caffeine products are really a waste of time... they said it was more the action of you rubbing it into your scalp which helps.  I do blow dry my hair which I know isn't the best thing and use protector on it but but it looks appalling if I don't style it with the drier etc.

I'm sure I read on here if regain and something else beginning with v but someone said they were OK whilst you used them but as soon as you stopped your hair became thin again.  Also I seemed to remember £££s... altho if it works possibly worth it?

Hi Emm25,

I was on Oestrogel/Utrogestan for 7 months and I had awful hair shedding. I now have a 10p size bald patch and a gap at the front of my hairline. I’ve now changed HRT and hoping it will grow back but in the meantime my hairdresser recommended taking selenium ACE and a vitamin B complex. I’ve only just started so can’t say if it helps but it can’t hurt.
Also, I find the L’Oreal Magic Root Coverup is fantastic for filling in small patches as people can’t spot mine and I have very dark brown/red hair.  ;)

Emm225

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 06:39:53 PM »

Thank you... I will try all you say... I know its not life threatening or anything but it does affect the way I feel about myself.and to be honest I felt a little embarrassed even posting about it as others have far more horrid health concerns etc happening to them

jaycee

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 11:22:55 AM »

Hi Emm22. i have had terrible hairloss for the last 2 years, tried Biotin, even high strength, nothing,  have been seeing a Dermatologist and had a scalp biopsy, he said mine is down to stress, and possible in my case
He said don't bother with all these so called miracle shampoos, pills etc,they don't work and only Minoxidil [regaine] will work
Tried , shampoos, castor oil, everything supposed to help hair grow, nothing has worked for me
I have now bought some Regaine, as someone on MM said she uses  it and had no problems ,
You might mean Viviscal, [beginning with a V] tried that too,but very expensive,and needs to be takene for months before any results, [if any]
I hope your hair will recover, if it's stress related it is supposed to come back on it's own, but i'm still waiting,

My own GP gave me some HRT which he said would help, er, no it made it worse

KittyKats

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 05:27:15 PM »

I also have noticed hair shedding and I seem to have balding temples like a chick! I only noticed it this year since being on Utrogestan and Estrogel. The gynaecologist said I need to up the oestrogen as it's the low levels that cause hair loss but I think it's got worse since being on HRT  ???

One thing I read was scalp massage can improve hair growth and density. I am doing this gently for a few minutes each day. I do notice hair all over the floor and in the brush but hoping it slows down or stops! I think if you have long hair as I do it's more noticeable in the brush due to the strand length.

Wishing you all glossy full locks!   ;D

KittyKats

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »

And here is a link to the scalp massage info!
We have nothing to lose apart from more hair!!!!

https://www.healthline.com/health/scalp-massage-for-hair-growth#how-to

Emm225

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 08:32:20 PM »

Ah thank you, will certainly try the scalp massage!  I do think mine is due to the HRT...I wonder if it's cos I take the utrogeston orally...but my doctor poo-pooed taking it any other way.  I might phone doctors too to discuss what I take...at this rate I am thinking I will have to try to dig deep and go private as my doctor doesn't seem inclined to be over helpful.

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 08:02:37 AM »

That's bad Emm,a woman's hair is one of the most important things and the Dr SHOULD be listening,there are things a dr can prescribe,so be firm with him/her. Also,when you wash your hair always gentle,I always used to scrub my head but now realise that it's really bad,massage is good for the follicles,really hope you find something that helps  :)