Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Reducing hrt bleeding woes - what to expect?  (Read 654 times)

pricey

Reducing hrt bleeding woes - what to expect?
« on: August 10, 2020, 09:03:18 PM »

Hello
I've posted a few times about coming off HRT. My own cycle has kicked in some months as well as the withdrawal bleed and at 55 I just want to find out where I am.

I had a withdrawal bleed, closely followed by what was a period (sore breasts, headache etc.) I'd already cut down to one pump of Oestrogel and when the bleeding dragged on I thought to hell with it, bit the bullet and reduced to half a pump with a view to tail off completely. After 4 weeks of bleeding (I always bleed when I change oestrogen dose or HRT type, I had about 5 days clear then had a bad premenstrual type migraine then started bleeding again yesterday. This eased off overnight, nothing all day, but still headachey, then this evening I've suddenly started bleeding again, quite heavily. Just wondering if this is to be expected having reduced my oestrogen again? I'm also wondering shall I carry on with this half pump for a while or as I'm bleeding is it worth stopping altogether? I haven't had a recurrence of flushes yet and am prepared to ride the storm to at least see where I am. I didn't use the utrogestan a week ago as I was already bleeding and am now on such a low dose of Oestrogel. I planned to use it again next cycle if I continue on half a pump. I just feel like this bleeding will never stop.

Miserable as I have a stressful job too.

Thanks,  ladies, any advice appreciated.

Hurdity

Re: Reducing hrt bleeding woes - what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 07:34:20 AM »

Hi pricey

Sorry to hear about your bleeding woes! Unfortunately when peri-menopausal it is really difficult to know what is happening due to your own cycle kicking in unpredictably. If you really want to find out where you are then the only way is to stop completely. Another alternative if you don't want to stop HRT is to try continuous combined HRT which should even out the hormone fluctuations but it sounds as if you're not ready for this if you're still getting cycles?

Have you ever had a scan etc to check your womb lining? Obviously this is difficult with cycles as the thickness changes throughout the month and normally the best time to have a scan is immediately following the withdrawal bleed. With your cycle as well timing a scan could be problematic.... however if as you are 55 if the bleeding continues or continues to be heavy or you are concerned in any way do consult your doctor - sorry I can't remember your story and whether you've had investigations.

Hurdity x

Flan747

Re: Reducing hrt bleeding woes - what to expect?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 07:51:32 AM »

Hi Hurdity just read about continuous cycle reducing hormone fluctuations! I have been advised to do this but am not sure what to do as when I started HRT June 2019 I was getting regular periods so am obviously peri so won’t know when I am post menopause. I do like the idea of possibly reducing the fluctuations which I suffer from