Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Help me start HRT  (Read 665 times)

CrispyChick

Help me start HRT
« on: August 09, 2020, 04:49:32 PM »

I am now at the end of a very long road trialling lots of different combined pills. They don't work for me.

20mg estrogen pillls bring on my original symptoms, 30mg pills bring on migraines. I am now 2 months into my 6th pill. Sitting here on day 5 of a headache. I feel I'm at the end of the road. I am 44.

Had a meno clinic appointment via phone a few weeks ago, they suggested trying the contraceptive ring or patch instead of pill. Otherwise swap to HRT. But speak to gp about it.

Having read that the contraceptive ring and patch are stronger and can cause headaches etc, I think I am ready to try hrt. Don't know where to start.

My symptoms are responsive to estrogen, but too much brings the migraines. The progesterone in microgynon gave me terrible moods and is in the mirena at a high dose, so I'm not keen on that route.

I think I am keenest on the gel idea. But what progesterone can I use, other than mirena. I have used mini pill cerazette (desogesteral) in past and was OK on it, but I know it is not licenced for HRT. Anything similar? If you don't use mirena is progesterone always by pill????

Many thanks. I am clueless. My GP is lovely, but I would like to ask for what I want, rather than be given the cheapest.

Thanks for reading.

Evie606

Re: Help me start HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 06:32:18 PM »

Hi Crispychick,

When I started on Oestrogel I was given Provera tablets, they were ok but gave me terrible migraines.  I then tried Utrogestan but it really disagreed with me although many seem to do ok on it. I think it’s very much trial and error.
I don’t think there are any other progesterones to go with gel unless you want to try combined tablets or patches. Maybe search in the previous posts for these progesterones to see what you think?
X

Hurdity

Re: Help me start HRT
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 07:20:31 AM »

Have you thought of trying one of the contraceptive pills designed more for peri-menopausal women ie the ones that contain estradiol - the same oestrogen as in HRT? These are gentler and may be less likely to cause migraines. They are  QLAIRA and ZOELY (there may be supply problems with the latter). I am always suggesting these but there is little feedback on here but I am hoping this is because users do not have problems and therefore are not posting about them! The progestogen in QLAIRA  is one of the newer generation ones and may be associated with fewer side effects. Also there is no pill-free week - but oestrogen is taken on all except for 2 days per 28.

Utrogestan - micronised progesterone can be taken vaginally off-licence and is generally more effective when used that way. That is the only non-tablet progestogen apart from Mirena ( and the lower dose coils like Jaydesse etc)

Hurdity x