Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT  (Read 1671 times)

Lalb1

HRT
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:42:24 PM »

So I've had enough, the breathlessness is driving me mad! I've tracked it and it definitely gets worse just before ovulation. I've been put back on propranolol as and when it starts getting worse to ease the anxiety that's with it.
I just want to feel better, I'm fed up of feeling rough. Heartburn, anxiety, no energy whatsoever, weepy, lack of appetite, breathless, headaches, random body aches, teeth pain, hot flushes, cold flushes, nausea, blocked sinuses,forgetfulness, confusion, clumsiness... the list goes on... I've probably missed many more.
I feel I need to start HRT,
My question is.. has anyone had the symptoms I've been experiencing.. then started HRT and felt. better.. especially the breathless side of things. The breathlessness isn't due to my asthma, the nurse practitioner is saying she thinks it's due to hormones and anxiety.
Thanks for reading.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 02:49:36 PM »

4 me the symptoms of feeling bloated = breathlessness was present B4 each period and went as soon as the bleed began.  So bloated that I was unable to eat and OH so thirsty! I would suck celery stalks cold from the jar in the fridge .........

I didn't have HRT and the symptoms went at peri..

Lalb1

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 02:55:27 PM »

Yeah, mines definitely worse at certain parts of my cycle. The nurse practitioner has suggested taking my birth control back to back so the fluctuation of hormones isn't as much? I've started that this week so I should have been having a period this Thursday, I'm guessing that won't happen now. So I don't know what will happen with the breathlessness.
I am just well and truly fed up of feeling rubbish 24/7.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 04:06:14 PM »

Have you had a chest x-ray to make sure there's not a physical reason for the breathlessness and have you been checked for anaemia?

Taz x

Lalb1

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 04:35:24 PM »

I haven't had an x Ray no, I have been tested for anemia and it was all ok.
It doesn't feel like the normal asthma breathlessness. My inhaler isn't doing much.. I can tell the difference between an asthma wheeze/breathless and this type of breathlessness. And it's not there all the time, it's cyclical.. 🤷‍♀️

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 07:39:21 PM »

I don't know how much you've researched the effect of hormones on the feeling of breathlessness but I've found this which is very technical and wordy but if you scroll down to point no.5 and then to the fifth paragraph which begins "The effects of sex hormones..." https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378512213001898

The whole article is really interesting in how different respiratory problems are impacted by different states of emotions but it's good to see it written down that hormones do effect breathing. I hope it's useful!

Taz x

sed

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 05:11:09 PM »

Hi, our symptoms pretty much mirror..I can go a few days and all fine and then the breathlessness will come back and stay with me all day on and off.   (have had two x-rays and all clear).  It makes me even more anxious even though I know why, it’s still so scary!  I can’t seem to function as I am concentrating on when the next attack will come. 

I have only recently started HRT so too early to say whether it will make a difference and as I am new to it, I have asked for a referral to speak to a consultant in that field.  However speaking to friends and lots on this forum all have given it the thumbs up 👍🏾 Can’t wait to feel ME again.

Good luck 😉

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »

I haven't had breathlessness but did have anxiety and many of the others. HRT has cured my anxiety though it did take 3 months to go completely. It sounds as though you have nothing to lose by trying it, you could hardly feel worse.

catharry

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 04:44:42 PM »

Hi,
First time posting on here, but very grateful for your post.
I have all the symptoms you describe and the breathlessness is quite bad this month, hence searching for some help here.
I have recently had a one to one with a private Menopause Doctor and she was brilliant. Had to go down this route as my doctor basically told me that I just had to get on with it!  I have decided to take the plunge and go on HRT.
Like you, I just want to feel normal again...
I hope you feel better soon.
Take care.

Penelope

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 06:57:18 AM »

Low ferritin levels can cause breathlessness just google it.Hope this helps

Jane50

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 09:15:39 AM »

Hi Lalb1
I've had all the symptoms you listed. Since being on HRT the majority have eased or have certainly become more manageable. The breathlessness you describe - does it feel like you can't get a deep breath? Mine was definitely linked to anxiety which in turn was definitely linked to hormones. Maybe try the HRT route?

Lalb1

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 06:41:31 AM »

I'd had all bloods done and only low levels were my vit d which is always low.
I'm finally getting an appointment to talk about HRT so hopefully can ease most of the symptoms. The breathlessness comes and goes, I found walking helps to ease it, not ideal when it occurs in the middle of the night though! 😂